FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Rebuilt. The Book.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://rebuiltparish.com/book/

Above is a link to a book called

Rebuilt.Awakening the Faithful, Reaching the Lost, and Making Church Matter

My parish priest is currently circulating this book amongst the leaders of the parish. I am told by some of them that if you read this book you can see where he would like to go with our parish.

Well I am skeptical to say the least. The priest who wrote the book, Fr. Michael White along with a layman named Tom Cochran have stated that they gleaned the "positives" from both Protestant Mega Churches and successful businesses and brought them to their essentially failed parish and have discovered wonderful things. Of course bringing these things into their parish also included keepign the parish Catholic they state.

The foreword is by Cardinal Dolan

Anyone know of this book?

What do you think?
I know of the book, but haven't read it.  I have far too many other books on the stacks by my bed that have far higher priority.  There's been some discussion about it at that *other* Grin  Catholic website, CAF.  I know some folks who left the parish we subsequently left to go to Fr. White's parish.  When they've spoken about it the image that comes to my mind is a happy-clappy, very high-tech, evangelical parish with the word "Catholic"  pasted over it.  Being the curmudgeon that I am, it kinda makes me want to puke. Grin  Just my impression.  I haven't been there and don't see it happening....................................ever.  As popular as Dolan is, istm that he's revealing "liberal" stripes more and more.  Or so I've heard.
Haven't read it, but given Dolan's endorsement, I'll staying away from it.
(05-15-2014, 12:56 PM)J Michael Wrote: [ -> ]I know of the book, but haven't read it.  I have far too many other books on the stacks by my bed that have far higher priority.  There's been some discussion about it at that *other* Grin  Catholic website, CAF.  I know some folks who left the parish we subsequently left to go to Fr. White's parish.  When they've spoken about it the image that comes to my mind is a happy-clappy, very high-tech, evangelical parish with the word "Catholic"  pasted over it.  Being the curmudgeon that I am, it kinda makes me want to puke. Grin  Just my impression.  I haven't been there and don't see it happening....................................ever.  As popular as Dolan is, istm that he's revealing "liberal" stripes more and more.  Or so I've heard.

The higher priority thing is why I will not be reading it anytime soon. But from the website and stuff I have been getting from others at my parish it seems you nailed it on the head. Happy-clappy church of nice stuff with a smooth presentation.
A 3-star review from GoodReads:

Quote:I work in a Catholic parish, so I'm always up for hearing advice about how to make that job easier. What works in one parish won't automatically work in another, which the authors admit, but it's usually worth a try elsewhere anyway. I loved Nativity Parish's focus on being mission-oriented and trying to reach the everyman instead of just the insiders. I didn't perceive much of a Catholic focus, though. Shouldn't revitalizing your parish involve the sacraments? Catholic churches ought to be as good as evangelical megachurches, but better, because we have the Eucharist and the fullness of the Truth. This book will help you get everything else, but emphasizing the Catholic aspect is up to you.
(05-15-2014, 02:47 PM)ecclesiastes Wrote: [ -> ]A 3-star review from GoodReads:

Quote:I work in a Catholic parish, so I'm always up for hearing advice about how to make that job easier. What works in one parish won't automatically work in another, which the authors admit, but it's usually worth a try elsewhere anyway. I loved Nativity Parish's focus on being mission-oriented and trying to reach the everyman instead of just the insiders. I didn't perceive much of a Catholic focus, though. Shouldn't revitalizing your parish involve the sacraments? Catholic churches ought to be as good as evangelical megachurches, but better, because we have the Eucharist and the fullness of the Truth. This book will help you get everything else, but emphasizing the Catholic aspect is up to you.

And that "Catholic aspect" (you know,  all of the sacraments, reverence, Tradition and tradition, etc.) is the critical part.  If it ain't there, then I won't be either.... Smile
Same story over and over since 1968: Megachurches will always do "megachurch" better than any Catholic Church can. Rock bands rock much better than any Catholic Church "youth music group" can do. Psychiatrists are much better at psychiatry than any Catholic priest can do. When this idiotic generation of priests realizes that the ONLY thing we can do better than anyone else is CATHOLIC STUFF, they will stop trying to come up with solutions that do not involve acknowledgement of our errors, and return to the sanity of "doing Catholic".

You would think that they could learn from pop culture. When a movie wants to present anything remotely Christian, even in the most absurd of movies, they give you a priest in a real church with real cassocks, and real confessionals, and Gregorian chant, and exorcisms. They should learn, and they could learn, but they would rather block their ears and close their eyes.
This type of thing has been going on in a Bakersfield, CA parish for quite some time.  It is so disheartening to witness a Catholic Church with TV screens outside, some near the restrooms, and one near the front door.  You should see it on Easter!  The children gather up at the altar for the "family" Mass.  To make room for the overflow, which I am sad to say they obviously care more of the money they rake in than the souls, they have the kids sit in front of the altar.  There are altar girls and "extraordinary" ministers galor.  They have plenty of priests at that parish, but use none to distribute Holy communion, they use the "pride patrol".  It is sickening. Absolutely sickening.  And the worst part is, that my family member is a part of this parish and thinks that it is great!!  I brought him to Holy Thursday here at an FSSP Mass, beautiful, well you know, and he kept going on about how at that Mass, the priests whips them through the Mass so it only takes as hour for the Easter vigil.  Pray for Monsignor he is caught in the trap of bling with a side of faith.
Tantum,
What is "pride patrol"? Not sure I want to know, but in case I see the term somewhere else. . . .
Sorry, I meant that when they are up there at the altar and even after, their hearts are filled with pride. Many feel so important and they carry that pride with them out the church doors. You can see it on their faces.
Pages: 1 2