FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Women to Pope: Can We Marry Our Priest Boyfriends! Pleeeeease?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4

From the New York Daily News:

26 women in affairs with priests plead to Pope Francis to end Catholic Church's celibacy vow

A group of 26 Italian women wrote a joint letter to the pontiff to ask him to allow priests to marry. They claimed to be in relationships with priests and that there are many more like them who were 'living in silence.'

BY David Harding
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Sunday, May 18, 2014, 5:48 PM

A group of 26 Italian women - all claiming to be in affairs with priests - have written to Pope Francis pleading with him to end the Catholic Church's celibacy vow.

The women said that there were many more like them who were "living in silence."

Vox Wrote:Having their story in the New York Daily News is what they call "silence"?

"We love these men, they love us, and in most cases, despite all efforts to renounce it, one cannot manage to give up such a solid and beautiful bond," they wrote in a joint letter.

Vox Wrote:Isn't that the reasoning behind gay "marriage"?

They added that "very little is known about the devastating suffering of a woman who is deeply in love with a priest".

The women met through Facebook, reports the Telegraph.

Vox Wrote:I wonder how that Facebook meeting came about. "Hey, anyone else out there having an affair with a priest? Can we tawlk?!"

Some 6,000 former priests in Italy have left the church so they can marry.

Pope Francis, who had a girlfriend as a young man in Argentina, has previously said he favored maintaining celibacy, but claimed it was more church tradition than dogma.

Well, this is one I never thought I'd see!  Crazy!
Didn't a similar petition arise during the pontificate of Pope Benedict?  I seem to recall something similar a few years ago.

Having said that allowing married men to become priests is one thing.  What they advocate (allowing already ordained men to marry) is something completely different. 
I am disgusted. These priests are married already, for they are spouse of Jesus Christ. How could those woman snatch Christ's spouse for themselves?
(05-20-2014, 09:48 AM)puppy99 Wrote: [ -> ]I am disgusted. These priests are married already, for they are spouse of Jesus Christ. How could those woman snatch Christ's spouse for themselves?

For the same reason peoples have affairs with married people.

I always find this ridiculous. I mean, I'm assuming it wasn't a secret that these men were celibate priests when they met. Why would you even put yourself in this position, either the man or the woman?

And honestly, if these priests are unable to keep their vow of celibacy, why are the women sure they would keep a vow to fidelity to their wives if they were allowed to marry? It's like when a married person leaves their spouse for someone else, and then the new spouse is all surprised and devestated when they are left for yet another person.
Well..........................Tradition/discipline in the Latin Church currently forbids priests to marry.  Not so in the Eastern Church.  Hey, like Pope Francis was deemed to have said above, priestly celibacy ain't dogma.  The tradition and/or discipline can be changed.  It has been before.  Priests used to be able to marry.  Personally, I think men, before being ordained priests, should have the choice to marry.  Once ordained to the priesthood, if not already married, they should remain celibate.  But then, I *am* an Eastern Catholic... Grin 
The Pope should get all the names, fire them all, and then say that Catholic priests can certainly get married, provided they exercise their ministry in Siberia, Moldova, Crimea . . . .

Seriously, though. Someone needs to explain that a priest can be married in the Catholic Church, in the East.
Perhaps these ladies have watched "The Thorn Birds" one too many times.
Speculation against the Pope was unwarranted on my part, I apologize for any sins of Gossip, Detraction, Calumny, and/or Slander caused by this post, as well as any other sins committed, and any sins others fell or will fall into by reading it as a result.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
world without end. Amen.
(05-20-2014, 11:33 AM)J Michael Wrote: [ -> ]Well..........................Tradition/discipline in the Latin Church currently forbids priests to marry.  Not so in the Eastern Church.  Hey, like Pope Francis was deemed to have said above, priestly celibacy ain't dogma.  The tradition and/or discipline can be changed.  It has been before.  Priests used to be able to marry.  Personally, I think men, before being ordained priests, should have the choice to marry.  Once ordained to the priesthood, if not already married, they should remain celibate.  But then, I *am* an Eastern Catholic... Grin 

Is there a case anywhere, Catholic or Orthodox, of a priest - that is, already ordained - marrying and the "marriage" being considered valid and the priest allowed to continue functioning as a priest? The Eastern Church does not allow this - married men can be ordained, but the ordained may not marry. On that point, East and West, to my knowledge, have always agreed. I believe there may have been cases of priests who have been laicized who were permitted to marry, but were forbidden to function as priests.
Pages: 1 2 3 4