FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Will She Be Killed For Being Christian?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Not sure how much good this could do, but it can't hurt. A petition at change.org (click here to sign it!) concerns the following:

Mariam Yehya Ibrahim, a Sudanese mother, doctor and Christian, has been sentenced to flogging and death unless she recants her Christian faith. She is 8 months pregnant and has a two-year-old son. Please, join the international community in asking  Sudan not to execute her for being a Christian.

Ibrahim is charged with adultery on the grounds that her marriage to a Christian man from South Sudan is considered void under Shari’a law, for which the penalty is flogging. She’s also charged with apostasy, or abandonment of religion, for which the penalty is death.

Mariam is the daughter of a Christian woman and Muslim man.  She was raised Christian after her father left.  However, Sudanese law mandates that children born to Muslim fathers are considered Muslim.

The fact that a woman could be sentenced to death for her religious choice, and to flogging for being married to a man of an allegedly different religion is abhorrent. 

Call upon the government of Sudan to respect the right to freedom of religion!

So, turns out she's not Muslim, never has been.

Also, her husband is an American citizen, as is her child. As will her other child be once born.

I'll sign it for what it's worth, but wouldn't be surprised if she and her child were killed. Non Muslims are considered sub human scum in Muslim society with little rights if any. What's strange is this, how can she be an "apostate" if she was never Muslim? Oh I see, because her biological father was!
signed
I am thinking of Sts. Perpetua and Felicity here.

This woman is facing martyrdom and she is doing it with a calm that can only come with the grace of God.

This is an example of total confidence and trust in God!
Signed.

Not sure it will do any good.

I have a feeling that many of the reasons put down by signatories will just serve to anger the Sudanese government.
It costs to be a Christian.
Would to god that I be faithful in the time of trial.
For what good a mere petition will do, signed. If memory serves, somewhere I read yesterday that the toddler would be jailed as well, to keep him from the Christian influence of his father.