FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Francis read Bp. Tissier's biography of Abp. Lefebvre 2×, says SSPX's lawyer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Rorate Wrote:In a visit to the French city of Fabregues on May 11 (that is, the day following Rorate's revelation of his meeting with Pope Francis), the Superior-General of the Society of Saint Pius X, Bp. Bernard Fellay, spoke at length about various matters of relevance to his congregation. The most important part was that related to the personality of Pope Francis:
Bp. Fellay Wrote:    With the current pope, as he is a practical man, he looks at people. What a person thinks, what he believes, is at the end a matter of indifference to him. What matters is that this person be sympathetic in his view, that he seems correct to him, one may say it like this.

And therefore he read twice Bp. Tissier de Mallerais' book on Abp. Lefebvre, and this book pleased him; he is against all that we represent, but, as a life, it pleased him. When, as a Cardinal, he was in South America, the District Superior [Fr. Christian Bouchacourt] came to ask him for an administrative favor with no relation to the Church; a visa problem, of permanent residency. The Argentine government, which is very leftwing, makes use of the concordat that was established to protect the Church to bother us quite seriously, and tells us, "you say you are Catholic, it is thus necessary for you to have the signature of the bishop in order to reside in the country." The District Superior therefore went to him to present the problem: there was an easy solution, and that would be to declare ourselves an independent church [before Civil Law], but we did not want to do it because we are Catholic. And the Cardinal told us, "no, no, you are Catholic, that is evident; I will help you;" he wrote a letter in our favor to the government, that is so leftwing that they managed to find a opposing letter by the nuncio. Therefore, a 0-0 tie. Now he is the pope, and our lawyer had the opportunity of having a meeting with the Pope. He told him that the problem was still going on with the Society, and asked him to please designate a bishop in Argentina with whom we could sort out this problem. The Pope told him, "Yes, and this bishop is myself, I promised to help, and I will do it."

I am still waiting for it, but anyway he said it, just as he said that, "those people there, they think I will excommunicate them, but they are mistaken;" he said something else that was very interesting: "I will not condemn them, and I will not stop anyone from visiting them [lit. 'd'aller chez eux'.]" Once again, I will wait to see.
(source)
So, what you are saying is that Pope Francis is a back-handed friend of the SSPX.
This story is very significant because it provides insights into the current attitudes of both sides in the ongoing SSPX/Vatican reconciliation soap opera:

1. Francis is willing to meet with Bp. Fellay's financial/legal fixer, Krah, to talk turkey, and he then even offers to help SSPX in Argentina.

He also throws SSPX another bone: Yes, he liked the fawning Abp. Lefebvre biography so much that he read it not just once, but TWICE.

Both are signals from Bergoglio that he's still interested. Like his chat with the divorced woman, the details of the conversation are intended for public consumption.

2. The story shows that Bp. Fellay is still absolutely desperate to do a deal for SSPX, and that he is willing to grovel publicly for it.

A few months ago, Fellay got on his knees before the modernist Bergoglio for the St. Marta buffet blessing. Now he drools over the bone he's been thrown: Yes, our beloved Holy Father will take a personal interest in our case, and yes, he loved the biography of our sainted founder.

The message people are intended to take away? No, Francis, can't be all bad, so prepare for further changes in the SSPX party line that will condition you to the idea of getting  integrated into the Conciliar Church.

So, the slow boiling of the frogs will continue, and few will have the sense to jump out of the pot.
(05-29-2014, 07:49 AM)FatherCekada Wrote: [ -> ]This story is very significant because it provides insights into the current attitudes of both sides in the ongoing SSPX/Vatican reconciliation soap opera:

1. Francis is willing to meet with Bp. Fellay's financial/legal fixer, Krah, to talk turkey, and he then even offers to help SSPX in Argentina.

He also throws SSPX another bone: Yes, he liked the fawning Abp. Lefebvre biography so much that he read it not just once, but TWICE.

Both are signals from Bergoglio that he's still interested. Like his chat with the divorced woman, the details of the conversation are intended for public consumption.

2. The story shows that Bp. Fellay is still absolutely desperate to do a deal for SSPX, and that he is willing to grovel publicly for it.

A few months ago, Fellay got on his knees before the modernist Bergoglio for the St. Marta buffet blessing. Now he drools over the bone he's been thrown: Yes, our beloved Holy Father will take a personal interest in our case, and yes, he loved the biography of our sainted founder.

The message people are intended to take away? No, Francis, can't be all bad, so prepare for further changes in the SSPX party line that will condition you to the idea of getting  integrated into the Conciliar Church.

So, the slow boiling of the frogs will continue, and few will have the sense to jump out of the pot.
If Fellay was really desperate he would have made a deal with the Vatican a long time ago.
I have some room to doubt the veracity of the statement (and perhaps the whole article).  The Pope may have read it twice or not, maybe it was only a summary prepared for him.  It is not uncommon for public figures that have to deal with numerous issues and requests have ghost readers to create summaries.  Who knows?  What I do pull from this as well as other Francis behaviors is that he is a people pleaser, but never goes through with his promises or anything.  In the end, he will go down probably as by golly the friendliest and fluffiest pope ever, but alienates entire segments of the Catholic spectrum because his inability to offend.  He will be the guy who has a steel mill, and keeps telling his customers that they will receive their steel next week, only six months later or never at all. 
(05-30-2014, 01:26 AM)AntoniusMaximus Wrote: [ -> ]I have some room to doubt the veracity of the statement (and perhaps the whole article).  The Pope may have read it twice or not, maybe it was only a summary prepared for him.  It is not uncommon for public figures that have to deal with numerous issues and requests have ghost readers to create summaries.  Who knows?  What I do pull from this as well as other Francis behaviors is that he is a people pleaser, but never goes through with his promises or anything.  In the end, he will go down probably as by golly the friendliest and fluffiest pope ever, but alienates entire segments of the Catholic spectrum because his inability to offend.  He will be the guy who has a steel mill, and keeps telling his customers that they will receive their steel next week, only six months later or never at all. 

The quote reproduced at the beginning of this thread is authentic, in the sense that it comes from a conference Bp. Fellay gave earlier this month.

That said, I doubt that Francis read the book, too. He was a looney leftist of the 60s stripe to whom a total Catholic integrist like Abp. L. would have been utter anathema.

But I don't doubt that Francis allowed it to be noised abroad that he did read it. This would fit in with what you correctly call his "people-pleaser" persona. Throw someone on the right a bone to keep the chaos (and therefore, the revolution) going.

"... the friendliest and fluffiest pope ever..." Great, great line! Smile
Much of that more likely to be captatio benevolentiae than substance. He seems to want to be friendly to everyone, at least on a superficial level.
The characterization of the pope as a practical man is probably key in any real appreciation by Francis for the archbishop, who was quite practical and decisive himself.

Will he have any higher sympathies to the SSPX or traditionalists  in general because of having read a book twice? We would have seen those already if he did. The whole thing remains an interesting anecdote nothing more.

At the same time though, only Nixon could go to China...