FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Interview with Pope
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.lavanguardia.com/internaciona...cisco.html

There's this new interview with Pope Francis – in Spanish, I haven't found it in English yet. It has some nice stuff, it has also some typical bergoglian stuff.
For instance, he says Pope Benedict XVI created a new institution, of the Pope Emeritus, an he pretends also to resign: “ As we live more [now], we come to an age where we can't go further. I will do the same, I'll ask the Lord to illuminate me when the moment comes and to tell me what I am to do”.

Regarding poverty he says that “poverty and humility are in the center of the Gospel, and I say this in a theological sense, not in a sociological sense. One cannot understand the Gospel without poverty, though one has to distinguish poverty from misery”.
Of course, if I were doing the interview I would ask for the Pope to elaborate on this answer – what precisely he means that we have to understand poverty in a theological sense. He says, in the same answer, that he believes Jesus called the bishops not to be princes, but servers; so maybe this is what he means: a sort of spiritual poverty, not just not having stuff or, much less, being hungry, but actually seeing the passing glory of money as something that passes, to accumulate, rather, treasures in Heaven – and one that does this will give to the poor and serve the poor more freely.

He says some stuff about fundamentalists and how it is inconceivable that they still exist in today's world. This is the part of the interview that I most missed the intellect of Benedict. But alright.
The best part is when he says that he is gravely disturbed by the persecution of Christians today and recognizes that there are actually more martyrs today than in the beginnings of Christianity (and he even hints to Islamic/Communists persecutions): “The persecuted Christians are a preoccupation that touches me very much as a pastor. There are many things relating to the persecutions that are not prudent for me to talk, in order not to offend anyone. But, in some places one is forbidden of having a Bible, or teach the Catechism or walking with a Cross. I want to make one thing clear: I am convinced that today the persecution of Christians is stronger than in the first years of the Church. Today there are more Christian martyrs than in those days. And this is not a fantasy, its numbers”.
Here's Google Translate's rendition of it (maybe someone can find a better translation!):

"Persecuted Christians are a concern touches me closely as pastor. You know a lot of persecution does not seem wise to count them here not to offend anyone. But somewhere is forbidden to have a Bible or teaching catechism or wearing a cross ... What I want to clarify one thing: I am convinced that the persecution of Christians today is stronger than in the first centuries of the Church. Today there are more Christian martyrs at that time. And it's not fantasy, it is by numbers. "

The pope greeted Francisco last Monday in the Vatican-a day after the prayer for peace with the presidents of Israel and Palestine for this exclusive interview with "La Vanguardia". The Pope was glad he did everything possible understanding between Israelis and Palestinians.

Violence in the name of God dominates the Middle East.
It is a contradiction. Violence in God's name does not correspond to our time. It is quite old. With historical perspective must say that Christians sometimes we have practiced. When I think of the Thirty Years War, was violence in the name of God. Today is unimaginable, right? We sometimes by religion very serious, very serious contradictions. Fundamentalism, for example. The three religions have our fundamentalist groups, small relative to the rest.

And what do you think of fundamentalism?
A fundamentalist group, but did not kill anyone, even if you do not hit anyone, is violent. The mindset of fundamentalism is violence in the name of God.

Some say you being a revolutionary.
We should call the great Mina Mazzini, the Italian singer, and say "questa prendi hand zinga" and read me the past and see what (laughs). For me, the great revolution is going to the roots, recognize and see what those roots have to say today. No contradiction between revolutionary and go to the roots. Moreover, I think the way to make real changes is the identity. never can step in life if not from behind, not knowing where I come from, what name have, which have cultural or religious name.

You have broken many security protocols to approach people.
I know that something can happen, but it's in God's hands. I remember in Brazil I had prepared an enclosed popemobile, with glass, but I can not say hello to people and tell him I love in a sardine can, even glass. To me that is a wall. It is true that anything can happen, but let's face it, at my age I do not have much to lose.

Why is it important that the Church is poor and humble?
Poverty and humility are at the heart of the Gospel and say in no sociological theological sense. You can not understand the Gospel without poverty, but must be distinguished from pauperism. I believe Jesus wants us to be bishops princes, but servants.

What can the Church do to reduce the growing gap between rich and poor?
It is proved that with the leftovers we could feed people who are hungry. When you see pictures of malnourished children in various parts of the world grabs his head, not understood. I think we're in a global economic system that is not good. At the heart of any economic system must be the man, man and woman, and everything must serve this man. But we have put the money in the center, the god of money. Have fallen into the sin of idolatry, the idolatry of money. The economy moves by the desire to have more and, paradoxically, a culture of discarding feeds. Youth are discarded when the birth is limited. It also dismisses the elderly because they no longer serve, produce, is passive class ... Dropping the kids and the elderly, the future of a nation is ruled out because the boys will pull hard forward and give us that the elderly wisdom, have the memory of the people and must pass it to the young. And now is also fashionable to dismiss the youth unemployment. To me very concerned about the unemployment rate of young people in some countries over 50%. Someone told me that 75 million young Europeans under 25 are unemployed. It is outrageous. But a generation rule to maintain an economic system, a system must do to survive the war, as they always have great empires no longer holds. But as you can not WWIII, then zonal wars are made. What does this mean? Weapons manufactured and sold, and this balances the idolatrous economies, the major world economies that kill the man at the feet of the idol of money, obviously groomed. This single thought takes away the wealth of diversity of thought and therefore the wealth of a dialogue between people. The globalization is a well understood wealth. A misunderstood globalization is one that overrides the differences. It is like a sphere, with all points equidistant from the center. A globalization that is enriched as a polyhedron, all united but each retaining its particularity, its wealth, its identity, and this does not happen.

Are you concerned about the conflict between Catalonia and Spain?
Any division worries me. There's emancipation and independence independence by secession. The independence for emancipation, for example, are the Americans, who were emancipated European states. The independence of peoples to secede is a break, sometimes it is very obvious. Think of the former Yugoslavia. Obviously, there are people with such diverse cultures that could or glue stick. The Yugoslav case is very clear, but I wonder if it is so clear in other cases, in other nations that have so far been together. Must be studied case by case. Scotland, the Padania, Catalunya There will be cases that will be fair and cases that will not be fair, but the secession of a nation without a history of forced unity must be taken with many tweezers and analyzed case by case.

Prayer for peace on Sunday was not easy to organize and had no precedent in the Middle East or the world. How did you feel?
Know it was not easy because you were in on it and it should be much of the achievement. I felt it was something that eludes us all. Here, at the Vatican, 99% said they would not do and then 1% grew. I felt that we saw pushed to one thing that had not occurred to us and gradually it took shape. It was not at all a political act that I felt input-but it was a religious act: opening a window to the world.

Why did you choose to get into the eye of the hurricane that is the Middle East?
The real eye of the hurricane, the enthusiasm he had, was the World Youth Day in Rio de Janeiro last year. A Holy Land I decided to go because President Peres invited me. I knew that his tenure ended this spring, so I was forced, somehow, to go before. Your invitation precipitated the trip. I did not think so.

Why is it important for all Christians to visit Jerusalem and the Holy Land?
By revelation. For us, it all started there. It's like "heaven on earth", a preview of what awaits us in the afterlife in the heavenly Jerusalem.

You and your friend Rabbi Skorka hugged against Western Wall. How important was this gesture of reconciliation between Christians and Jews?
Well, the Wall was also my good friend Professor Abu Omar, president of the Institute of Interfaith Dialogue Buenos Aires. I wanted to invite. It is a very religious man, father of two children. Also Rabbi Skorka friend and I want them both a lot, and I wanted this friendship between the three look like a witness.

I said a year ago that "inside every Christian is a Jew."
Perhaps it would be more correct to say that "you can not live their Christianity, you can not be a true Christian, but acknowledges his Jewish roots." I speak not of the Semitic Jewish race consciousness but in the religious sense. I believe that interreligious dialogue has to delve into this, in the Jewish roots of Christianity and Christian flowering of Judaism. I understand it is a challenge, a hot potato, but you can do as brothers. Every day I pray the Divine Office with the Psalms of David. The 150 psalms were spent in a week. My prayer is Jewish, and then have the Eucharist, which is Christian.

How does the anti-Semitism?
Can not explain why it is given, but I think it is very close, in general, and without it a fixed rule to the right. Antisemitism cobweb better policies flows from left to right, right? And it continues. Even we who denies the Holocaust, crazy.

One of their projects is to open the Vatican archives on the Holocaust.
They bring a lot of light.

Are you worried that something might be discovered?
This topic concerns me is the figure of Pius XII, the Pope who led the Church during World War II. The poor Pius XII have thrown over everything. But remember that before he was seen as the great defender of Jews. Many hid in convents in Rome and other Italian cities, and also the summer residence of Castel Gandolfo. There, in the room of the Pope, in his own bed, 42 babies were born, children of Jews and other persecuted refugees there. Not that Pius XII has not made mistakes myself, I make a lot, but its role must be read in context of the time. Was it better, for example, might not speak for most Jews not to kill or to do it? I also want to say that sometimes I get a little existential hives when I see everyone's take on the Church and Pius XII, and forget the great powers. Do you know perfectly that the railway network of the Nazis to carry Jews to the concentration camps know? They had photos. But they bombed those train tracks. Why? Would be nice if we spoke a bit of everything.

Do you feel like a pastor or even assumed his role as head of the Church?
The pastor is the dimension of most shows my vocation. Serving the people I get inside. I turn off the light to not spend a lot of money, for example. These things have a pastor. But I also feel Pope. It helps me do things seriously. My colleagues are very serious and professional. I help my duty. Do not play the pope priest. It would immature. When it comes to a head of state, I have to meet him with the dignity and worth protocol. It is true that the protocol have my problems, but must be respected.

You are changing a lot. Toward what future carry these changes?
I'm no lit. I have no personal project I brought under his arm, just because I never thought I was going to leave here in the Vatican. He knows everyone. I came with a tiny bag to return quickly to Buenos Aires. What I am doing is to fulfill what the Cardinals reflect on the General Congregations, ie, at meetings, during the conclave, we held daily to discuss the problems of the Church. Hence out reflections and recommendations. A very concrete was that the next pope should have an outside counsel, ie a team of advisers who do not live in the Vatican.

And you created the council called Eight.
There are eight cardinals from all continents and a coordinator. Every two or three months together here. Now the first of July we have four days of meetings, and we are making changes that they ask us cardinals. Not required to do so but it would be unwise not to listen to those who know.

It has also made great efforts to reach out to the Orthodox Church.
The way to Jerusalem my brother Bartholomew was to commemorate 50 years ago meeting between Paul VI and Athenagoras I. It was a meeting after more than a thousand years apart. Since Vatican II, the Catholic Church makes efforts to approach the Orthodox Church and the same. With some Orthodox churches are more close than others. I wanted Bartholomew I had with me in Jerusalem and there the plan also came to prayer came from the Vatican. For him it was a risky move because he can he blame her, but had to shake this gesture of humility, and to us is necessary because it is inconceivable that we divided Christians, is a historical sin we have to repair.

With the advance of atheism, what do you think of people who believe that science and religion are mutually exclusive?
There was a rise of atheism in the existential time, perhaps Sartre. But then came a step towards spiritual pursuits, meeting with God in a thousand ways, not necessarily traditional religious. The clash between science and faith peaked in the Enlightenment, but is not as fashionable today, thank God, because we realized all of the closeness between one thing and another. Pope Benedict XVI has a good teaching on the relationship between science and faith. In general, most now is that scientists are very respectful of the faith and the agnostic or atheist scientist says "I dare not enter that field."

You have met many heads of state.
There have been many interesting variety. Each has its own personality. He has called attention to a cross made between young politicians, either center, left or right. Maybe talk about the same problems but with new music, and I like it, gives me hope because politics is one of the highest forms of love, of charity. Why? Because it leads to the common good, and a person who can do it, does not get involved in politics for the common good, is selfishness; or use politics for their own good, is corruption. About fifteen years ago the French bishops wrote a pastoral letter is a reflection entitled "réhabiliter la politique". It is a beautiful text makes you realize all these things.

What about the resignation of Benedict XVI?
Pope Benedict has made a great gesture. It has opened a door, has created an institution, the eventual emeritus of potatoes. 70 years ago, there had retired bishops. Is today many are there? Well, as we live longer, we reached an age where we can not go on with things. I'll do the same to him, ask the Lord to enlighten me when the time comes and you tell me what I have to do, and what I will say for sure.

Have a quiet in a retirement home in Buenos Aires room.
Yes, in a retirement home for elderly priests. I left the archdiocese late last year and had already submitted the resignation to Pope Benedict when I was 75. I chose a piece and said "I want to come live here." Will work as a cure, helping parishes. That would be my future before he became pope.

I will not ask who supports the World ...
Brazilian neutrality asked me (laughs) and keep my word because Brazil and Argentina are always antagonistic.

How would you like history to remember him?
I have not thought, but I like when you remember someone and says: "He was a good guy, he did what he could, was not so bad." I'm content with that.
Google Translate for Business:Translator ToolkitWebsite TranslatorGlobal Market Finder
Turn off instant translationAbout Google TranslateMobilePrivacyHelpSend feedback
Here's a sum up: http://www.news.va/en/news/pope-francis-...aper-about
Though it lacks what is in my opinion that most important and very telling prologue to the interview: his opinions on the persecutions of Christians.
The god of islam makes a virtue of violence regardless of what century we happen to be in. muslim's who take their religion seriously must accept it as a call from their god,a duty even. Francis is dead wrong as.far as that goes. Just open the koran.
(06-13-2014, 08:26 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]The god of islam makes a virtue of violence regardless of what century we happen to be in. muslim's who take their religion seriously must accept it as a call from their god,a duty even. Francis is dead wrong as.far as that goes. Just open the koran.

Indeed, but at least he is keenly aware and worried about the violence perpetrated by Muslims. This kinda makes me more tranquil after that debacle of muslims prayers at the Vatican.
It would be nice if he just flat out called on muslims to convert to the True God and the true Church. There's been a lot of talk in vague terms about "fundamentalism" and how "violence is incompatible with God" coming from popes,priests and prelates but nothing that specifically goes to the heart of the issue, namely that muslims worship a false and dangerous god that sanctions violence and that the ONLY true peace possible will be for muslims to convert away from the barbarism and blasphemy of islam and into faith in the Trintarian God and the only redeemer of man, the true prince of peace Jesus Christ.
(06-14-2014, 10:50 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]It would be nice if he just flat out called on muslims to convert to the True God and the true Church. There's been a lot of talk in vague terms about "fundamentalism" and how "violence is incompatible with God" coming from popes,priests and prelates but nothing that specifically goes to the heart of the issue, namely that muslims worship a false and dangerous god that sanctions violence and that the ONLY true peace possible will be for muslims to convert away from the barbarism and blasphemy of islam and into faith in the Trintarian God and the only redeemer of man, the true prince of peace Jesus Christ.

Ohhhh....no no no no no.....!!!  To call them to convert would "offend".  It would be politically and religiously and post-Vatican 2-y incorrect.  And, I'm sorry...we just cannot have that!