FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Knownothingism: the scourge of nativism in America
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Fresh from the celebration of Independence Day, it behooves us to remember that America is not just about apple pie and a good, honest day's work.  America has a checkered history.

Catholics in the United States should know the history of Catholicism in America.  For an excellent general history, I recommend Puritan's Empire, by the august Charles Coulombe, a friend to this forum.  This fascinating work graces my Kindle.  The first chapter is available to read online here.

As the immigration policy debate rages, America's nativism has come into play.  Catholics suffered it from the arch-nativist Knownothings.  More about Knownothingism here:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08677a.htm

http://history1800s.about.com/od/immigra...hing01.htm

http://buildingintentionalcommunities.co...ation1.pdf

How soon we forget.

The Basilica-Cathedral of SS Peter and Paul in my own city of Philadelphia was built  in the 19th Century without windows to prevent attacks from Knownothings.  The darkness persists.
Yes, America has a checkered past. Look at how we treated Catholics, and Irish, not to mention African slaves and Native American Indians. But only in America can Catholics build a Catholic church and school and hospital on every street corner, and only in America can an Irish Catholic, and a Black man rise to become President.  "We shall overcome" this present immigration crisis too. We are Americans. Ain't nobody on earth like us!
(07-08-2014, 03:42 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: [ -> ]Fresh from the celebration of Independence Day, it behooves us to remember that America is not just about apple pie and a good, honest day's work.  America has a checkered history.

Catholics in the United States should know the history of Catholicism in America.  For an excellent general history, I recommend Puritan's Empire, by the august Charles Coulombe, a friend to this forum.  This fascinating work graces my Kindle.  The first chapter is available to read online here.

As the immigration policy debate rages, America's nativism has come into play.  Catholics suffered it from the arch-nativist Knownothings.  More about Knownothingism here:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08677a.htm

http://history1800s.about.com/od/immigra...hing01.htm

http://buildingintentionalcommunities.co...ation1.pdf

How soon we forget.

The Basilica-Cathedral of SS Peter and Paul in my own city of Philadelphia was built  in the 19th Century without windows to prevent attacks from Knownothings.  The darkness persists.

So it is consider to be a Know Nothing if you oppose the invasion of your country..Since April 2014 300,000 illegals have crossed the border, in addition 36,000 convicted felons have been released in to our midst. NO OTHER COUNTRY ON EARTH DOES THIS TO ITSELF... This crisis on the border is a design to create a permanent underclass that will be beholden to the Democrats.  It may interest you to know that an illegal alien from Honduras raped a women in Philly just recently.. I really believe that the Left in this country wants to destroy the United States and I believe we are headed towards civil war... luckily most democrats do not own guns

(07-08-2014, 03:42 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: [ -> ]Fresh from the celebration of Independence Day, it behooves us to remember that America is not just about apple pie and a good, honest day's work.  America has a checkered history.

HEY!!! You left out baseball!  And I love baseball.  I'm offended!!  (not) Well, not as much as football (AMERICAN!!) and ice hockey (oosies...that's Canadian...oh well...they're just, well...Canadians :LOL:.)  (Yeah, I'm pokin' some fun atcha, Clare  :O :grin:)

Please name me a country, especially one that rose to power in any way, shape, or form that doesn't have a checkered past.  Or, as Canisius12 brought up, allowed itself quite willingly to be invaded.
America has its institutional and civil malfeasences, but as one who has traveled throughout much of the world I would much rather live in America than any where else.
Old Salt, I would not want to live anywhere else, either.  However, I don't idolize this country; that's a sin against the First Commandment.  It's clear that you don't, but this is one of the errors that I would like to challenge.

Here is an excellent talk by Charles Coulombe on the heresy of Americanism.
If anything, it seems to me that those who insist that America is not a regular country like any other but instead an abstract idea and that American values are universal truths that must be adopted by everyone regardless of history, ethnicity, or culture are far more likely to be guilty of idolatry and Americanism than those who who evince nothing more than a natural piety and a concern for the common good.
(07-08-2014, 06:04 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: [ -> ]Old Salt, I would not want to live anywhere else, either.  However, I don't idolize this country; that's a sin against the First Commandment.  It's clear that you don't, but this is one of the errors that I would like to challenge.

Here is an excellent talk by Charles Coulombe on the heresy of Americanism.
You are absolutely correct!
(07-08-2014, 04:58 PM)J Michael Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, I'm pokin' some fun atcha, Clare  :O :grin:

(07-08-2014, 06:20 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: [ -> ]If anything, it seems to me that those who insist that America is not a regular country like any other but instead an abstract idea and that American values are universal truths that must be adopted by everyone regardless of history, ethnicity, or culture are far more likely to be guilty of idolatry and Americanism than those who who evince nothing more than a natural piety and a concern for the common good.

I don't think we have "universal truths." I don't think democracy needs to be adopted by everyone, in fact, I said just that on another current thread. My stance is that all earthly political systems are imperfect and passing away. It will go on like that until Christ comes again. But, until then, I'd rather live in America because I think our system is the best we've got in a fallen world. I love America precisely because I can exercise my Catholic faith here, and with much more enthusiasm than if I lived in Communist China or Soviet Russia or any one of the Islamic nations that are wiping Christians off the face of the map at the current moment.

I DO believe that God blesses America because we have a remnant that is faithful, true and strong. American Catholics are a special breed because we started out as a minority. We had a lot of uphill races, and we ran them. And with freedom of religion comes religious competitors, which means we have to keep on our toes. We're not afraid of the competition.
Pages: 1 2