FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Latin or English?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is more about personal taste. Do you guys prefer to read Sacred Scripture in English (Douay-Rheims) or in Latin (Vulgate)? I read the Gospels and Acts in Latin, OT readings in English, and Wisdom books (the Letters in the NT plus the OT wisdom) in English.  During Passiontide I read the Passion in Latin. What do you guys do?  :P
(08-22-2014, 12:37 PM)Tradcath96 Wrote: [ -> ]This is more about personal taste. Do you guys prefer to read Sacred Scripture in English (Douay-Rheims) or in Latin (Vulgate)? I read the Gospels and Acts in Latin, OT readings in English, and Wisdom books (the Letters in the NT plus the OT wisdom) in English.  During Passiontide I read the Passion in Latin. What do you guys do?  :P

For Mass?  Or for something else?
(08-22-2014, 12:37 PM)Tradcath96 Wrote: [ -> ]This is more about personal taste. Do you guys prefer to read Sacred Scripture in English (Douay-Rheims) or in Latin (Vulgate)? I read the Gospels and Acts in Latin, OT readings in English, and Wisdom books (the Letters in the NT plus the OT wisdom) in English.  During Passiontide I read the Passion in Latin. What do you guys do?  :P

Typically I read in English, but I will consult Hebrew/Greek/Latin/Syriac if something strikes me. Which translation I read varies all the time - it's interesting to see how various things are translated.
I occasionally pray the psalms in Latin but other than that I prefer heiratic "King James" style English for all my scripture reading. I'm not fluent enough in any other language to make it profitable to me, although I hope someday to be able to be fluent enough in Latin and Old Church Slavonic and maybe Greek to read and fully understand in those languages. My preferred Bible is the King James.
Well I am kind of hindered by not being able to read or speak latin. I would assume that I am not in a minority on that front.
(08-22-2014, 01:33 PM)LoneWolfRadTrad Wrote: [ -> ]

For Mass?  Or for something else?

Study/Devotional reading (i.e. for the Scriptural Rosary)
(08-22-2014, 01:49 PM)aquinas138 Wrote: [ -> ]

Typically I read in English, but I will consult Hebrew/Greek/Latin/Syriac if something strikes me. Which translation I read varies all the time - it's interesting to see how various things are translated.

My approach is similar, though if I'm reading a book from start to finish I try to stay with a single translation. More often than not I end up reading the Douay-Rheims along with the Latin or Greek; I'm a little paranoid about reading something incorrectly.
If I was fluent enough in Latin, I would love to. However, my extent in Latin at this point is the Mass and various prayers.  So I stick with Douay-Rheims.
For Lectio Divina, I prefer to use an English translation as it's easier for me to contemplate Scripture. For study, I use a variety of translations, Hebrew, Greek, and Latin texts. So, it depends.