FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Church Fathers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there! My plan is to begin to read the writings of the Church Fathers :grin: The only problem that I have is reaching a starting point  :duel:. Does anybody have any suggestions? Should I read the collections from start to finish (I'm using CCEL's pdf collection)? By topic? Any reply would be a huge help! Thank you and God bless!
Boy, that is an ambitious project. Aren't you also the person who is about to read the whole Canon Law?

But anyway, I'm no patristic scholar, but being a big fan of S. Augustine I'd start with his confessions, which also happens to be a great book in the Western canon. There are a lot of subtety that might at first escape you, but that's precisely why its a good book to start: you'd be thinking about it afterwards.
The early Latin Fathers are somewhat easy to read. S. Gregory of Nyssa's Life of Moses introduce some big themes on the saints thought, and of general patristic thought also, while being a nice example of how the ancients read the Bible. There's a little book of S. Maximus the Confessor's selected writings on that Classics of Western Spirituality series which is quite good also.
You can also intercalate these with something from the Augustinian corpus  :grin:, like the City of God, On the Trinity, On the Freedom of the Will, Literal commentary on Genesis, etc., (or the earlier stuff, which are a bit easier).

You know, you can easily spend decades just studying one Father (that's what most professional philosophers and theologians that specialize in this sort of thing do). So I guess you should go with a little more intentionality: after being introduced generally think about what sort of things you want to think and read.
If you're using the CCEL collection, I'd just go by chronology. I'm doing the same thing, and trying to break it up by topic would be very, very difficult. The bigger treatises cover so many topics, and not necessarily in the most systematic fashion, that it would be well-nigh impossible to track them by subject matter.
I'd suggest St. John Chrysostom( his commentaries on Genesis and Romans are what I'm familiar with), St. Isaac the Syrian ( his Ascetical Homilies), St. Basil the Great( On the Holy Spirit) or St. Gregory Nazianzen (There's a book out on his theological poems that is good). Another one that is good is St John of Damascus when he writes in defense of the use of images. The Fathers are rich and sometimes very hard to follow but they are rewarding to plug through.