FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: A new Catholic Movie that hardly anyone is talking about
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Have anyone at Fisheaters seen the movie Calvary? http://calvary-movie.com

The review may explain why you won't hear the USCCB promoting it.
http://tinyurl.com/NotForNeo-Cats
I saw the trailer some time ago, but it just seemed too dark, and I also just assumed it was yet another anti-Catholic movie.
I'll take a better look at it.
He has a daughter, is he Anglican?
(09-08-2014, 07:08 PM)salus Wrote: [ -> ]He has a daughter, is he Anglican?
She was born before he became a priest.
(09-07-2014, 11:09 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: [ -> ]I saw the trailer some time ago, but it just seemed too dark, and I also just assumed it was yet another anti-Catholic movie.
I'll take a better look at it.

i absolutely had the same reaction, but it was because it had so many positive reviews in secular media.  i thought to myself, "great, another tropey strawcatholic movie!"  it was very dark, but it was very moving at the same time.  i'm not sure if i'm a traditional catholic (mostly i feel like i am.)  i do know this movie resonated deeply with me, though, and i'm not even a priest!  just someone trying to be a good catholic!  i am just anxious as can be to discuss it, but also don't want to spoil it for anyone else.  (:
I found it oppressively dark, but overall, excellent. It isn't anti-Catholic at all, but if you're of a sensitive disposition it might be best avoided.
I watched the movie since the last post. Yes, it is dark, but in a sense I think its realistic. Not that it depicts faithfully life in Ireland -- I wouldn't know about that -- but it shows how sin is and how our apostate society (not necessarily one city, but many persons we encounter) is hostile towards the Church.
In the other thread the author of this one created I wrote: I saw this movie recently. Its quite good, but very shocking. Not only it has strong language and scenes of violence, but the story is actually very disturbing (any trailer of the movie will show the basic premise of the movie, so there's no point in telling it here), as are the characters. The town where the priest serves is just ridden with sin, and he is constantly mocked.
I guess if I were a priest, to be honest, it would be a great temptation to be a liberal priest: we are in such a state that to walk around with cassock attracts mockery and suspicion (there's a particularly astonishingly sad scene when the priest is talking to a girl and her father finds them), attempts of helping the people is met with violence, so on and so forth. Really, we should pray for our priests.

So, basically the movie, more than the language and the bits of violence it contains, is mostly shocking because it is, I think it would be fair to call it, a realist movie: it portrays sin and the state of our apostate society.

(10-17-2014, 10:51 PM)maria Wrote: [ -> ]i absolutely had the same reaction, but it was because it had so many positive reviews in secular media.  i thought to myself, "great, another tropey strawcatholic movie!"  it was very dark, but it was very moving at the same time.  i'm not sure if i'm a traditional catholic (mostly i feel like i am.)  i do know this movie resonated deeply with me, though, and i'm not even a priest!  just someone trying to be a good catholic!  i am just anxious as can be to discuss it, but also don't want to spoil it for anyone else.  (:

You can warn people beforehand if you write something with spoilers.
(10-17-2014, 11:54 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: [ -> ]I watched the movie since the last post. Yes, it is dark, but in a sense I think its realistic. Not that it depicts faithfully life in Ireland -- I wouldn't know about that -- but it shows how sin is and how our apostate society (not necessarily one city, but many persons we encounter) is hostile towards the Church.

It doesn't; it depicts hyper-concentrated sin for artistic effect. Everything shown really happens, but not nearly so concentrated in one place, which is why it has such an oppressively dark feel to it.