FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Disturbing yet unsurprising. Cardinal Burke being removed.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Very depressing news. Turns out that Cardinal Burke will be exiled from his position.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014/...inal-Burke

Keep up your Rosaries.
These last few days have been quite depressing reading blogs like Rorate.
Its getting so hard not to dislike Pope Francis. Before it was merely platitudes and silliness, now he looks positively mean, destroying what Papa Benedict XVI did.
I'll just keep remembering Goethe's remedy: its urgent to be patient.
Rumours are just that...rumours.
While Pope Francis may not directly abrogate Summorum Pontificum, I fear that he is cutting out the legs beneath it with the hope that it will suffocate on its own.  According to internet sites that list the EF masses, the number still appears to be increasing, but I fear that the number of EF masses will plateau, then start a slow descent.  I hope my fears are unfounded.
I know Cardinal Burke. I first met him when he was bishop at La Crosse, WI and he was under fire for installing the Canons Regular of the New Jerusalem, an order which was dedicated to offering the Latin Mass, each  time striving for an even higher level of perfection in the liturgy. The real Mass was offered in the cathedral daily when Bishop Burke was there. The school was located in the same building and not once in the whole time the Canons were there did any teacher bring any child to the Latin Mass, if for no other reason than the history of it. Shame on the blind--and arrogant and stubborn--in that diocese.

Cardinal Burke is a saint-in-waiting. The same can't be said of Pope Francis...unless, of course, you assume he'll also be canonized like the other Vatican II era popes to prove that VII was a really swell idea and not a failure leading to the demise of what now passes for the Catholic Church. I am always amazed to hear so many say Francis must be the correct choice for the Church; the Holy Ghost surely was involved in his selection. But why can't this just be a case of Divine permissive will allowing the chaff of the magisterium to be separated from the wheat of true faith? We are getting exactly what we deserve, whether it be in the form of the pope, cardinals and bishops or politicians, entertainers and social activists. But I also believe we're getting exactly what God intends. I'm older; if someone had told me 50 years ago that we would ever be at this state I would have thought them insane.

The more I watch what's happening with this almost unintelligible pope and his lack of knowledge of or interest in dogma and faith, I'm beginning to think that the Society of St. Pius X may, indeed, become the final repository of the real Catholic Church. If things go very wrong with the fall synod, I'm heading to the nearest SSPX chapel...for good. Many are called but few are chosen. A great many saints--and Pope Benedict himself--have said it will turn out to be a VERY few. It's starting to look like among them will be those with the SSPX. The rest of the "church" is increasingly heading toward being the real schismatics.
Cardinal Raymond Burke will soon be removed from his post as the prefect of the Apostolic Signatura and appointed patron of the Knights of Malta, according to Vatican jounalist Sandro Magister of L’Espresso.

If the Magister story is correct, the appointment would represent a significant demotion for the American prelate. Cardinal Burke currently presides over the Church’s highest canonical court. As patron of the Knights of Malta he would hold a role ordinarily filled by a retired cardinal, or by a prelate who simultaneously holds another more prominent position. At the relatively young age of 64, Cardinal Burke would ordinarily have been expected to take another prominent post in the Roman Curia, or as head of a major archdiocese, upon leaving the Apostolic Signatura.

The report in L’Espresso suggests that the replacement of Cardinal Burke would confirm the intent of Pope Francis to remove conservative prelates from the leadership of the Roman Curia and replace them with clerics who would be more attuned to his own pastoral priorities. Cardinal Burke has been among the most outspoken Roman defenders of traditional Catholic teaching and liturgical practice.

Cardinal Burke was appointed to the Apostolic Signatura in 2008 by Pope Benedict XVI, who also elevated him to the College of Cardinals in 2010. During his years of service on the Vatican tribunal, he has also kept a busy schedule of public speaking appearances and interviews. Ironically, the light duties of the patron of the Knights of Malta could leave the American cardinal with even more time available for public speaking and writing.

If Cardinal Burke leaves his current post, there will be no American cardinal heading any dicastery in the Roman Curia.

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/head...ryid=22626

This could be a backhanded retirement for Cardinal Burke. More time to write, speak, agitate. People with little to do can always find something to do.
Why is Papa Francisco or the Church in general destroying our own traditional liturgy? I have not been very happy with this pope. He is a wolf in sheep'a clothing. Where is there left to go other than with schismatics or heretics if the Catholic Church is the one true Church?
(09-18-2014, 04:52 AM)tradprof Wrote: [ -> ]The more I watch what's happening with this almost unintelligible pope and his lack of knowledge of or interest in dogma and faith, I'm beginning to think that the Society of St. Pius X may, indeed, become the final repository of the real Catholic Church. If things go very wrong with the fall synod, I'm heading to the nearest SSPX chapel...for good. Many are called but few are chosen. A great many saints--and Pope Benedict himself--have said it will turn out to be a VERY few. It's starting to look like among them will be those with the SSPX. The rest of the "church" is increasingly heading toward being the real schismatics.

That has been my sentiment for a long time. God may be working through the SSPX to continue the Church while the mainstream church spiritually, morally and financially collapses under its own weight.  I feel like I am on the Titanic with the SSPX chapels being the life boat.
(09-18-2014, 04:52 AM)tradprof Wrote: [ -> ]I know Cardinal Burke. I first met him when he was bishop at La Crosse, WI and he was under fire for installing the Canons Regular of the New Jerusalem, an order which was dedicated to offering the Latin Mass, each  time striving for an even higher level of perfection in the liturgy. The real Mass was offered in the cathedral daily when Bishop Burke was there. The school was located in the same building and not once in the whole time the Canons were there did any teacher bring any child to the Latin Mass, if for no other reason than the history of it. Shame on the blind--and arrogant and stubborn--in that diocese.

Cardinal Burke is a saint-in-waiting. The same can't be said of Pope Francis...unless, of course, you assume he'll also be canonized like the other Vatican II era popes to prove that VII was a really swell idea and not a failure leading to the demise of what now passes for the Catholic Church. I am always amazed to hear so many say Francis must be the correct choice for the Church; the Holy Ghost surely was involved in his selection. But why can't this just be a case of Divine permissive will allowing the chaff of the magisterium to be separated from the wheat of true faith? We are getting exactly what we deserve, whether it be in the form of the pope, cardinals and bishops or politicians, entertainers and social activists. But I also believe we're getting exactly what God intends. I'm older; if someone had told me 50 years ago that we would ever be at this state I would have thought them insane.

The more I watch what's happening with this almost unintelligible pope and his lack of knowledge of or interest in dogma and faith, I'm beginning to think that the Society of St. Pius X may, indeed, become the final repository of the real Catholic Church. If things go very wrong with the fall synod, I'm heading to the nearest SSPX chapel...for good. Many are called but few are chosen. A great many saints--and Pope Benedict himself--have said it will turn out to be a VERY few. It's starting to look like among them will be those with the SSPX. The rest of the "church" is increasingly heading toward being the real schismatics.

I agree with you here.
This Pope might have some faith, throwing himself the way he does without protection into moslem territory. But still, he's by no means a bright man and he seems to have a great animosity towards the traditions of the Church. By most measures he's a disaster.
Indeed if something too radical happens at the Synod (a Synod according to the reports is being manipulated into a liberal revolution) I myself will go rather quickly to the next SSPX chapel.
(09-18-2014, 08:50 AM)Renatus Frater Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-18-2014, 04:52 AM)tradprof Wrote: [ -> ]I know Cardinal Burke. I first met him when he was bishop at La Crosse, WI and he was under fire for installing the Canons Regular of the New Jerusalem, an order which was dedicated to offering the Latin Mass, each  time striving for an even higher level of perfection in the liturgy. The real Mass was offered in the cathedral daily when Bishop Burke was there. The school was located in the same building and not once in the whole time the Canons were there did any teacher bring any child to the Latin Mass, if for no other reason than the history of it. Shame on the blind--and arrogant and stubborn--in that diocese.

I agree with you here.
This Pope might have some faith, throwing himself the way he does without protection into moslem territory. But still, he's by no means a bright man and he seems to have a great animosity towards the traditions of the Church. By most measures he's a disaster.
Indeed if something too radical happens at the Synod (a Synod according to the reports is being manipulated into a liberal revolution) I myself will go rather quickly to the next SSPX chapel.
Why the SSPX? It is extremely unlikely that SSPX will become sedevacantist even if tables are turned at the Synod. Sedevacantism is the worst heresy for the SSPX. To me it seems that if anything radical happens in October there'll be two choices: sedevacantism or Orthodoxy.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5