FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Questions about Joseph and Matt. 1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A couple of questions on Matt. 1.

(1) If we are supposed to honor God's laws, why did Joseph not turn Mary over to the authorities to be stoned after discovering she was pregnant, as should have been her punishment according to Deuteronomy? Can we too selectively pick which of God's laws to honor?

(2) Although I realize we are no longer under these laws, how was it ever ok for God to have condoned the stoning of women as he did in the Old Testament?

Thank You!  :)
She was not caught in adultery (indeed she could not, because she is no adulterer).
And besides capital punishment is only a possibility when there are two witnesses to the crime: Deut. 17:6

One could spend the whole day debating the meaning or justice (or lack of justice) of the law. But it certainly shows the gravity of the crime.
Regarding number 2, the Old Law was pedagogical. It taught the consequence of sin.  The sins deserving of death in the Old Law are generally what we consider to be mortal sins.

Christ revealed that the true consequence of sins like adultery is not just death, but eternal damnation.  Under His Law, we are not put to death immediately upon committing such a sin, but are given the opportunity to repent and seek mercy. But if we don't, the punishment of damnation remains.

St. Catherine of Siena's Dialogue summed this up beautifully (God is speaking here):

St. Catherine of Siena Wrote:The old law was the law of fear, that was given by Me to Moses, by which law they who committed sin suffered the penalty of it. The new law is the law of love, given by the Word of My only-begotten Son, and is founded in love alone. The new law does not break the old law, but rather fulfills it, as said My Truth, 'I come not to destroy the law, but to fulfill it.' And He united the law of fear with that of love. Through love was taken away the imperfection of the fear of the penalty, and the perfection of holy fear remained, that is, the fear of offending, not on account of one's own damnation, but of offending Me, who am Supreme Good. So that the imperfect law was made perfect with the law of love. Wherefore, after the car of the fire of My only-begotten Son came and brought the fire of My charity into your humanity with abundance of mercy, the penalty of the sins committed by humanity was taken away, that is, he who offended was no longer punished suddenly, as was of old given and ordained in the law of Moses.

There is, therefore, no need for servile fear; and this does not mean that sin is not punished, but that the punishment is reserved, unless, that is to say, the person punish himself in this life with perfect contrition.  For, in the other life, the soul is separated from the body, wherefore while man lives is his time for mercy, but when he is dead comes the time of justice.