FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Brittany Maynard Has Christian Priest Saying Compassion, Not Judgment Over Eutha
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Brittany Maynard Has Christian Priest Saying Compassion, Not Judgment Over Euthanasia, Is Needed

Brittany Maynard suffers from stage 4 brain cancer, and on November 1, 2014 she plans on using Oregon’s assisted suicide laws to end her life. While there is much disagreement over euthanasia in the religious community, one Christian priest believes that Brittany needs compassion, not condemnation, for her decision.

In a related report by The Inquisitr, a terminally ill cancer patient named Kara Tippetts is publicly begging her to reconsider going for assisted suicide, claiming, “You have been told a lie. A horrible lie, that your dying will not be beautiful. That the suffering will be too great.” Maynard has publicly responded to critics by saying that she does not want to die.

“I don’t want to die. If anyone wants to hand me, like, a magical cure and save my life so that I can have children with my husband, you know, I will take them up on it. I think until anyone has walked a mile in my shoes and knows what they’re facing and has felt the — like, just bone-splitting headaches that I get sometimes, or the seizures, or the inability to speak, or the moments where I’m looking at my husband’s face and I can’t think of his name.”

Reverend “Father Tony” Medeiros is a 50-year-old rector of the Redemptoris Mater Seminary in the Boston area. The Christian priest says he was inspired to create a Facebook page called “weluvbrittany” based upon hearing Brittany Maynard’s story.

CaptCrunch73 Wrote:Hmm, a priest in the Archdiocese of Boston espousing heretical beliefs, there's a surprise.  But this is not just any priest, Fr Tony is a rector at the Redemptoris Mater Seminary in Boston, how's that going to work for priests currently in formation?

They are some amazing and very Holy priests in the Archdiocese as well but they need to keep their heads down yet the likes of the aforementioned priest, Fr Butterballino, Fr Unni, etc do their thing with complete impunity.

“It was as if God had placed this beautiful person in front of me,” said Medeiros. “Her words, her story, Brittany was an inspiration that touched my heart. It struck a chord in me. Our life is time. It’s true of all our lives, is it not? I looked for a way to reach her, some way to let her know that she was not alone, that there were so many, many people praying for her, holding her in their hearts.”

According to the Boston Herald, Father Tony believes God has given Brittany free will “to do anything she wants. She can take those (life-ending) pills, or flush them down the toilet. It is completely up to her.” But he wants to support Brittany with hope and compassion, not judgment.

“[The Facebook page] is not a place to discuss thoughts about physician-assisted suicide, though that is a discussion we certainly must have,” said Medeiros. “Nor is it a place to get preachy, or cast any judgment on the decision Brittany has made. I want people to see Brittany as their wife, their daughter, their sister, their friend. And in a very fundamental way, I think she’s challenging each one of us to confront the question, are you praying for me, or yourself?”

CaptCrunch73 Wrote:It's interesting that this priest is publically supporting euthanasia when Cardinal O'Malley opposed Euthansia, well at first, but then backed down

Physician-Assisted Suicide is Back; Boston Archdiocese is Silent.

The reason that many Christians oppose assisted suicide or euthanasia is because of the the idea that suicide is a sin which cannot be repented. In the fifth century, St. Augustine wrote one of Christianity’s first condemnations of suicide, and by the sixteenth century suicide had become a secular crime by which a person could be denied a Christian burial and even have their family’s belongings be confiscated. But Martin Luther noticeably changed the tone of the debate, and even discussed suicide prevention and combating depression in Christians.

CaptCrunch73 Wrote:That's right Martin Luther changed the tone of the debate, if you want to support euthanasia become Protestant.

But attitudes about assisted suicide have slowly changed in the Christian community. According to Gallup, back in 2005, 61 percent of Evangelical Christians supported euthanasia, while 32 percent approved of doctor-assisted suicide. In addition, 70 percent of Christians say they would want life support removed if they were in a vegetative state.

CaptCrunch73 Wrote:And there we have it, attitudes have changed in the Christian community therefore, logically, is the Church must change it's teaching.  ???

I really "like" this bit:  "According to the Boston Herald, Father Tony believes God has given Brittany free will 'to do anything she wants. She can take those (life-ending) pills, or flush them down the toilet. It is completely up to her.'"

Well, no duh. He also gave her the free will to choose to murder her parents or not, become a diamond thief or not, get 5th graders hooked on Heroin or not...

Anyway, Father's doings sound like another case of "Let's ignore Church teaching and engage in some of the 'Tyranny of Mercy" stuff. Couple legalized euthanasia with Obama Care and you get double trouble. See what's going on so far in countries that have this evil in place:

Euthanasia Out of Control in the Netherlands:  http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Londo...etherlands

Euthanasia Out of Control in Belgium: http://guardianlv.com/2014/02/euthanasia...n-belgium/

I have to say, though, that the freakin' DEA and State governments need to get OUT of the way of doctors when it comes to pain management. What's being done to pain patients and cancer patients and the like in the name of "the War on (some) Drugs" is inhumane and ineffective even in terms of the States' goals. It has to stop. I imagine that if terminal cancer patients were assured of GOOD pain management, there'd be less call for "doctor-assisted suicide" (Hippocrates would be rolling in his grave).

After watching my father die from terminal prostate cancer, and listening to my mother, sister and oldest daughter say they he should be euthanized if we were a civil society, I will add my two cents. 

It broke my heart to watch my father fade away and be in so much pain that whenever they touched him to move him in the bed he screamed in pain.  Finally the hospice folks were able to get him on a morphine pump and he basically slept all the time until he died.  It was awful to watch a once 250lb man waste away to 130 lbs when he passed.  It took alot of counseling from our pastor to help me deal with the suffering my father went through.  How to understand why God would let my dad, who attended daily mass, always wore his scapular, and helped those in need and prayed and offered masses for those in our family who had fallen away from the faith, suffer so much. 

But never once could I see myself having my father "put to sleep".  Ever.  It's not our place to choose.  This is God's.  To do so is to play God.  So while dad was suffering, he eventually was able to have that alleviated with the morphine pump.  And while he might have been out of it, where ever a person goes when on that pump and seemingly sleeping, when my sons and I would pray the rosary every night with dad, he would squeeze my hand.  On some level he was aware of what was going on in the room.  He gave my hand one last squeeze and passed away holding my hand.  He passed away peacefully.  On God's terms and on God's time. 

I am so thankful I had a good and holy priest as my counsel during my difficult time with my dad's illness.  He made a world of difference for our family and helped us to accept God's will when we thought otherwise.

I pray daily for this young lady that she will change her mind and not take her own life.  What if God were to grant her a miraculous healing?  If she kills herself she will thwart that plan.  Just because a majority of folks suffer does not mean she will.  She might die peacefully and without pain.  I pray that she finds God and will come to terms with His plan for her.  I pray she will live to see November 2nd and beyond. 

Perhaps she should look to Valerie Harper.  She was told she had 3 months to live 18 months ago and is doing well.  While she still has cancer it is not growing or progressing.    http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment...-1.1815372

Here's a response to Brittany Maynard from a Catholic Priest with the same diagnosis

I am a Catholic seminarian. I have terminal brain cancer. This is my response to Brittany Maynard.
(10-23-2014, 06:31 AM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a response to Brittany Maynard from a Catholic Priest with the same diagnosis

I am a Catholic seminarian. I have terminal brain cancer. This is my response to Brittany Maynard.

That is a beautiful response. Brittany's choice is just the saddest thing. It leaves no hope and no room for God to work.
It's interesting to see Cardinal O'Malley publicly supporting the weluvbrittany Facebook page in his blog; the Facebook page that is condoning euthanasia. So now we have a Cardinal espousing heretical beliefs...

http://www.cardinalseansblog.org/page/2/

Hello and welcome,

The tragic case of Brittany Maynard, the young woman with terminal brain cancer who has said she plans to end her life on November 1, has touched everyone’s hearts.

We want to hold her up in our prayers and encourage people to pray for her and to send messages of support so that she realizes that she is not alone in her suffering and hopefully will come to see that ending her life is not the solution.

Brittany

One way of showing such support is through the Facebook page weluvbrittany started by a priest in our archdiocese, Father Tony Medeiros. The page allows people to send Brittany messages of love and hope. I invite you to visit the page and show your support for Brittany.

– – –

(10-28-2014, 12:19 PM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: [ -> ]It's interesting to see Cardinal O'Malley publicly supporting the weluvbrittany Facebook page in his blog; the Facebook page that is condoning euthanasia. So now we have a Cardinal espousing heretical beliefs...

http://www.cardinalseansblog.org/page/2/

Hello and welcome,

The tragic case of Brittany Maynard, the young woman with terminal brain cancer who has said she plans to end her life on November 1, has touched everyone’s hearts.

We want to hold her up in our prayers and encourage people to pray for her and to send messages of support so that she realizes that she is not alone in her suffering and hopefully will come to see that ending her life is not the solution.

Brittany

One way of showing such support is through the Facebook page weluvbrittany started by a priest in our archdiocese, Father Tony Medeiros. The page allows people to send Brittany messages of love and hope. I invite you to visit the page and show your support for Brittany.

– – –

That Cardinal O"Methodist is espousing something at variance with Catholic teaching is par for the course. Thankfully in the Litany for the Poor Souls in Purgatory there is a place where we pray for bishops and their counsellors . There are so many wolves among the episcopate. Does he have any idea that by supporting her desire to take her own life he is both helping her to put her soul in mortal danger and giving the impression that the aRoman Catholic Church not only gives burials to suicides, it also gives the thumbs up to those who wish to kill themselves?

Today, the feast of St Jude, the patron of lost causes, is as good a day as any to pray for both their poor souls.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1996762

Sadly Brittany Maynard has taken her life.  May she rest in peace.
:pray:
I've seen so many people die of cancer over the years, many of them simply wasting away and suffering just as badly from the chemo and radiation as they do from the disease. It's painful to watch. I can say though that most i have never known one to publicly commit suicide despite the horrors of the disease.

In the spirit of All Souls I will pray specifically for Britany Maynard even if humanly speaking I cannot imagine any hope for her salvation in light of this.
Pages: 1 2