FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Pope OKs Eastern Catholics ordaining married priests in the West
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Yeah, it was hyperbolic but there's a kernel of truth.

I'm Catholic because the set of beliefs we share with the Orthodox — God, Christ, Trinity, hypostatic union, Mother of God, bishops, the Mass, and the option of using images — includes but transcends many cultures. We INCLUDE the East. They don't really include us. Western Rite Orthodoxy's a dud because ultimately the Orthodox don't want it.
(11-19-2014, 02:26 PM)youngfogey Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, it was hyperbolic but there's a kernel of truth.

I'm Catholic because the set of beliefs we share with the Orthodox — God, Christ, Trinity, hypostatic union, Mother of God, bishops, the Mass, and the option of using images — includes but transcends many cultures. We INCLUDE the East. They don't really include us. Western Rite Orthodoxy's a dud because ultimately the Orthodox don't want it.

I'm sure its not what you meant - but you're not saying that you're Catholic because Western Rite Orthodoxy is a dud... right? I wouldn't want you conflating the Western Patrimony with the Orthodox faith.  :eyeroll:

I've met many Orthodox who support of the Western Rite. I've also met many Catholic bishops who are opposed to the Tridentine Mass....
I am Orthodox because I believe that they have most perfectly kept the apostolic faith, without alteration.

"Pass not beyond the ancient bounds which thy fathers have set." Proverbs 22:28
Right; I'm not saying I'd be Orthodox if Western Rite Orthodoxy were strong. That set of beliefs I listed: the Catholic Church has been a faithful steward and defender of them so I have no need to manufacture history ("Orthodox England," etc.).

Even more than Roman Rite Catholics regarding Eastern Catholics, most Orthodox don't know the Western Orthodox rites exist, and of those who do, most don't like it. At least in practice, Orthodoxy conflates Byzantine patrimony with the church, and that's what the Toth and Chornock schisms fell for, out of anger. Both the OCA and ACROD recognize our sacraments, but they really think "outside of Byzantium" means "outside the church." The OCA thinks it's Russian; ACROD's just mad at us so they're under the Greeks.
I think many Traditionalists are all a bit on the edge, and news like this trigger worries of further changes to the Latin rite and its disciplines.

Personally I don't think that's warranted, and the Eastern Catholic rite being allowed to ordain a married man to priesthood doesn't bother me. They also consider celibacy, and especially virginity, to be objectively higher than marriage.
Pages: 1 2 3