FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: An Agreement with China?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Chinese government has proposed a cooperative arrangement with the Vatican regarding the appointment of Catholic bishops.

The Beijing regime has clashed repeatedly with Rome over the appointment of bishops. The Vatican insists that all bishops must be appointed with a mandate from the Holy See, and has announced the excommunication of Chinese bishops appointed without that mandate.

China, on the other hand, claims that the government-backed Catholic Patriotic Association should appoint bishops. In his 2007 letter on the Church in China, Pope Benedict XVI said that the universal Church cannot recognize the authority of a group like the Patriotic Association, which was established to exercise political control over the Church.

In suggesting a joint approach to new episcopal appointments, Chinese officials appear to be hoping to break through an impasse in talks with Rome. Officials said that China would not accept Rome’s demand to disband the Patriotic Association, but might agree to change the organization’s role. Chinese government sources said that they hoped to receive the Vatican’s response to their proposal by early in 2015.

At present Beijing does not recognize Catholic bishops of the “underground” Church loyal to Rome, while the Vatican does not recognize the bishops unilaterally appointed by the Patriotic Association. In practice most Chinese bishops, including those who were appointed by the government-backed body, have quietly sought and received the Vatican’s approval.

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/head...ryid=23314
What's the point of it?
Appointing a bishop in a schismatic church, and then he is “adopted” as a Catholic bishop? That simply wouldn't work.
Today Vantican's policy in China is totally wrong and confusing. I truly think they are flirting with communism and some of the officials are helping the schismatic church in vain. Everything is ambiguous and hard to understand. A real church reconciles with a schismatic church?
Why don't they reconcile with SSPX in exile first? The Catholic church in China (underground church) is going to be ruined under such an extremely compromising policy!
I'd appreciate all of you here to pray for our country, but first of all, kindly pray for Vatican.
But meanwhile, God has given his graces to his true and suffering church. No matter how much persecution we are going through, the church remains forever the true church and it will never fail. Let's have hope in the church and trust in the Lord!
I hope there is a clause in there somewhere about not jailing, torturing, and executing real Catholic bishops  . . .
(11-23-2014, 10:09 AM)puppy99 Wrote: [ -> ]What's the point of it?
Appointing a bishop in a schismatic church, and then he is “adopted” as a Catholic bishop? That simply wouldn't work.
Today Vantican's policy in China is totally wrong and confusing. I truly think they are flirting with communism and some of the officials are helping the schismatic church in vain. Everything is ambiguous and hard to understand. A real church reconciles with a schismatic church?
Why don't they reconcile with SSPX in exile first? The Catholic church in China (underground church) is going to be ruined under such an extremely compromising policy!
I'd appreciate all of you here to pray for our country, but first of all, kindly pray for Vatican.
But meanwhile, God has given his graces to his true and suffering church. No matter how much persecution we are going through, the church remains forever the true church and it will never fail. Let's have hope in the church and trust in the Lord!

The point of all this is that hte Vatican wants to develop a modus operandi whereby the Catholic Churh can have a legal existance in China.The schismatic church in china exists because of the government. It is hoped that the Vatican can come to an agreement with the Chinesse government so that they don't have to an underground church with its bishops in jail. As far as the SSPX is concerned, the Vatican proposed having an arrangement and the SSPX rejected the Vatican's proposal.
If so, that would be end of Catholic church in China.
What benefit would the communists get if they allow underground church do the evangelism work in public? To give us a chance to destroy their governance in China?
That kind of idea is funny. I tell you, that kind of action will only declare that underground church is illegal both for Vatican and Chinese government. And it will only lead things go from bad to worse.
(11-25-2014, 08:13 AM)puppy99 Wrote: [ -> ]If so, that would be end of Catholic church in China.
What benefit would the communists get if they allow underground church do the evangelism work in public? To give us a chance to destroy their governance in China?
That kind of idea is funny. I tell you, that kind of action will only declare that underground church is illegal both for Vatican and Chinese government. And it will only lead things go from bad to worse.
No, I do not believe that the Catholic Church will end in China. If the Communists allow the underground Church to operate in public it would greatly enhance their own legitimacy.
(11-26-2014, 01:04 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-25-2014, 08:13 AM)puppy99 Wrote: [ -> ]If so, that would be end of Catholic church in China.
No, I do not believe that the Catholic Church will end in China. If the Communists allow the underground Church to operate in public it would greatly enhance their own legitimacy.

That's a funny joke.
The underground church is the real Catholic church in China. We do not need the communist government to recognize our legitimacy. Please wake up,  thanks a lot.
It's simple. Either China can allow the Church to feed souls unmolested by the Communist government, or the Church will continue to feed souls underground.

I agree, pray that the Holy Spirit will give spines to those in the Vatican, to make no compromises with the heretical "Patriotic" church.
(12-28-2014, 10:49 AM)puppy99 Wrote: [ -> ]The underground church is the real Catholic church in China. We do not need the communist government to recognize our legitimacy. Please wake up,  thanks a lot.
The Communist government needs the legitimate Church to recognize their legitimacy.