FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: the Charity of the Pope
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Archbishop Konrad Krajewski, the papal almoner, supervised the distribution of hundreds of sleeping bags to the homeless of Rome, as a gift from Pope Francis, on December 18.

Swiss Guards drove a minibus around the city on Wednesday evening, stopping at sites where homeless people are known the gather, handing out the sleeping bags—which were decorated with the papal insignia. Nearly 400 were distributed.

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/head...ryid=23554
Good to hear!
The Papal Insignia's kind of strange... but it's a beautiful act. This is what the poor need to see: they are loved enough that someone will give them real, tangible, practical things to aid them in their distress. I am very happy for the sake of Christ's Gospel that this was done.
One thing I do applaud Pope Francis on is that he does seem to genuinely care about the poor.  We should be mindful of the fact, though, that good works alone are not sufficient for salvation; it's our faith in Christ that ultimately saves us.
(12-20-2014, 01:04 PM)AllSeasons Wrote: [ -> ]One thing I do applaud Pope Francis on is that he does seem to genuinely care about the poor.  We should be mindful of the fact, though, that good works alone are not sufficient for salvation; it's our faith in Christ that ultimately saves us.

And also, that conspicuous good works for the purpose of having others approve of it do not gain us merit in the eyes of God.