FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Disposing of bibles/books containing scripture
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I have an old KJV bible from when I didn't know the many inaccuracies contained within it. I also have one small book given to me by one of the :Jehovah Witnesses. The book explains their teachings and has some scripture in it taken from their inaccurate version of the bible. I want to dispose both of these books. However, I'm not sure of what is most appropriate.

Both books are in very good condition and has much life left in them. I was thinking of donating the KJV bible to a thrift store but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. The Jehovah Witness book I don't want to pass this book on for sure but since it contains some Scripture passages, I think I should burn it as that is what I gather should be done with discarded bibles. So I have two questions for you all:

1. Should I donate the KJV bible to a thrift store or should I burn it?

2. Should I just throwaway/recycle the Jehovah Witness book or burn it?

3. Is there a proper way of burning them? Could I just put it in a fireplace?
I would donate the KJV and burn or recycle the JW book.
The KJV actually has some nice phrasings. At times I prefer some KJV construction than the Douay–Rheims. Is it a sin to actually own a Protestant Bible?
Frankly, in many aspects the Portuguese Protestant Bible is better than the Portuguese Bible authorized by the Bishop's Conference, which is plagued by liberal theology stuff (the only traditional Catholic version of the Bible from the Vulgate is extremely rare, thus its easier to actually learn Latin, but I digress).
By the way, in many "Catholic" translations there were present some Protestant guy in the translating team.

I would keep it or give to some of my Prot friends. The JW stuff I would not give to anyone or sell, for its tantamount to propagating error.
But if you go with burning, just burn both if the KJV bothers you. It would be a waste of a good burning to just make a fire for one book.
(12-25-2014, 09:14 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: [ -> ]The KJV actually has some nice phrasings. At times I prefer some KJV construction than the Douay–Rheims. Is it a sin to actually own a Protestant Bible?
Frankly, in many aspects the Portuguese Protestant Bible is better than the Portuguese Bible authorized by the Bishop's Conference, which is plagued by liberal theology stuff (the only traditional Catholic version of the Bible from the Vulgate is extremely rare, thus its easier to actually learn Latin, but I digress).
By the way, in many "Catholic" translations there were present some Protestant guy in the translating team.

Agreed, the KJV is my favourite translation in terms of the phrasing (I can only read it in English), and I don't draw conclusions from it without consulting with the Church's teaching anyway, so it doesn't matter so much if some parts could be translated differently to present correct doctrine better.
Oh please don't burn the KJV! It's Protestant yes, but it's perhaps the most beautiful English language bible there is. Donate it, heck, leave it on a park bench, but don't burn it.  I have many different Bibles laying around, everything from the RSV, RSVCE, NKJV, NRSVE,Douay Rheims Challoner, and the Confraternity one but the KJV is the one I turn to most for devotional reading.  The English is masterful..
You should burn it all.

Here is from the Catechism of St Pius X:

32 Q. What should a Christian do who has been given a Bible by a Protestant or by an agent of the Protestants?
A. A Christian to whom a Bible has been offered by a Protestant or an agent of the Protestants should reject it with disgust, because it is forbidden by the Church. If it was accepted by inadvertence, it must be burnt as soon as possible or handed in to the Parish Priest.

And considering how much the parish priests have changed since St Pius X's time, I'd not advise on handing it, just burning. Do that even for the King James, as it is protestant and heretical even if it is "beautifully written".
(12-26-2014, 02:51 PM)Eduard Bodnar Wrote: [ -> ]You should burn it all.

Here is from the Catechism of St Pius X:

32 Q. What should a Christian do who has been given a Bible by a Protestant or by an agent of the Protestants?
A. A Christian to whom a Bible has been offered by a Protestant or an agent of the Protestants should reject it with disgust, because it is forbidden by the Church. If it was accepted by inadvertence, it must be burnt as soon as possible or handed in to the Parish Priest.

And considering how much the parish priests have changed since St Pius X's time, I'd not advise on handing it, just burning. Do that even for the King James, as it is protestant and heretical even if it is "beautifully written".

Would you be so kind as to point out the heretical passages in the KJV? It's probably the second best English translation in regards to its accuracy to the Greek.
We have several years worth of copies of The Magnificat and The Word Among Us piling up in our basement.  Naturally, they all contain prayers and readings from Scripture.  Any ideas on how we might dispose of them?  We can't burn them, as our fireplace is not appropriate for that, and we're not allowed to burn things outside.
(12-26-2014, 03:03 PM)J Michael Wrote: [ -> ]We have several years worth of copies of The Magnificat and The Word Among Us piling up in our basement.  Naturally, they all contain prayers and readings from Scripture.  Any ideas on how we might dispose of them?  We can't burn them, as our fireplace is not appropriate for that, and we're not allowed to burn things outside.
You could try asking a priest about where to dispose of them or if the priest would be willing to burn the books. Or you might ask friends who are able to burn the books.
(12-26-2014, 04:56 PM)richgr Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-26-2014, 03:03 PM)J Michael Wrote: [ -> ]We have several years worth of copies of The Magnificat and The Word Among Us piling up in our basement.  Naturally, they all contain prayers and readings from Scripture.  Any ideas on how we might dispose of them?  We can't burn them, as our fireplace is not appropriate for that, and we're not allowed to burn things outside.
You could try asking a priest about where to dispose of them or if the priest would be willing to burn the books. Or you might ask friends who are able to burn the books.

Duh!!  Why didn't I think of that??  (You don't need to answer that  Smile Smile!)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9