FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: High hopes that Matt Talbot will be the next Irish saint
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Church is investigating a potential miracle that could see Matt Talbot on the road to sainthood.

The Dubliner, who died in 1925, was renowned for his holiness and having overcome a crippling alcohol addiction, has been a heroic inspiration to many people in Ireland and abroad battling addiction.

The report of a possible miracle in the United States, if verified by the Vatican, would mean that Matt Talbot would be declared ‘Blessed’ by Pope Francis, a major step on the road to sainthood.

Read more: http://www.irishcatholic.ie/article/new-...-sainthood
(01-03-2015, 11:32 AM)Dirigible Wrote: [ -> ]The Church is investigating a potential miracle that could see Matt Talbot on the road to sainthood.

The Dubliner, who died in 1925, was renowned for his holiness and having overcome a crippling alcohol addiction, has been a heroic inspiration to many people in Ireland and abroad battling addiction.

The report of a possible miracle in the United States, if verified by the Vatican, would mean that Matt Talbot would be declared ‘Blessed’ by Pope Francis, a major step on the road to sainthood.

Read more: http://www.irishcatholic.ie/article/new-...-sainthood

Too bad he wasn't a VII pope...he would have been on the express line for sainthood.
Irish Catholicism has given the universal Church many beautiful expressions of the Faith, and even brought the Faith to many parts of the world.  Unfortunately, it isn't even a shadow of what it once was.  Ireland could sure use a new saint right about now- someone to bring some positive attention to the Faith once again on the Isle of Saints and Scholars.
I'm quite impressed with what I've heard of Matt Talbot.  It would be nice to add him to the list of official saints but even if he isn't there's nothing stopping one from venerating him privately. Anymore I wish they'd do away with the official saint making process anyway,its impossible for me to take seriously after John XXIII, Paul VI and John Paul II have all been either " sainted" or almost " sainted".

Venerate Matt Talbot but don't worry too much if the Vatican red tape machine ever rubber stamps hm as official.  It's meaningless after John Paul II and Paul VI anyway.
(01-03-2015, 02:20 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]I'm quite impressed with what I've heard of Matt Talbot.  It would be nice to add him to the list of official saints but even if he isn't there's nothing stopping one from venerating him privately. Anymore I wish they'd do away with the official saint making process anyway,its impossible for me to take seriously after John XXIII, Paul VI and John Paul II have all been either " sainted" or almost " sainted".

Venerate Matt Talbot but don't worry too much if the Vatican red tape machine ever rubber stamps hm as official.  It's meaningless after John Paul II and Paul VI anyway.

I'm sure in 100 or so years, the Church will...I do think there will be a re-looking at Vatican II in the next century (after all the Vatican II freaks and their minions have died off) and the time between 1968-2050Huh? will be known as a time of the Modernist Schism.

Honestly the TLM keeps growing, the younger generations are more sceptical of the fluffy language of Vatican II...and the Neo-Caths are starting to wane in popularity. It is a distinct possibility.
Here's a great and well-written book about Ven. Matt Talbot, written by Catherine Doherty's husband.  She, too, is on the way to "official" sainthood.  I highly recommend it!

I second the motion for Ven. Matt Talbot's beatification. And then to follow it with the process and cause  of Fr. Willie Doyle.  Oh, I love his writings which serve as spiritual direction for me.  See http://www.fatherdoyle.com and you are in for a treat.

But Fr. Doyle was a HOLY and true Jesuit and not the sort the moderns like much.  Cry(

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsReTlE0vBiRwwE-Z228N...wp6pqCaHtX]
Matt Talbot's tomb is prominently displayed in a church from which my Orthodox parish used to borrow space, along with a large board displaying photographs and information about his life, including a photo of the pub in which he had his last drink. He's already being treated like a saint there; an honoured holy man who lived and died locally.

[Image: shrine.png]
The church is Our Lady of Lourdes on Sean McDermott Street in Dublin, Ireland, by the way.
(01-03-2015, 06:27 PM)Magdalene Wrote: [ -> ]I second the motion for Ven. Matt Talbot's beatification. And then to follow it with the process and cause  of Fr. Willie Doyle.  Oh, I love his writings which serve as spiritual direction for me.  See http://www.fatherdoyle.com and you are in for a treat.

But Fr. Doyle was a HOLY and true Jesuit and not the sort the moderns like much.  Cry(

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsReTlE0vBiRwwE-Z228N...wp6pqCaHtX]

+JMJ+

Good to see someone else is familiar w/Fr. Doyle.

As a lad whose grandpa was born in Co. Mayo, we need to pray for a revival in the missionary spirit on Irish soil.  What's happened to Ireland is not only sad, but damaging to Holy Mother Church...

I've always wondered what identity we Irish can have, if not Catholic.  Without our Faith, we have no identity.

Pax
Pages: 1 2