FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Whispering into the cup?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I'll preface this by saying that I don't have access to the TLM locally, so I attend a NO. I've only been to a handful of TLM in my life. Recently, we've discovered Fraternite Notre Dame streaming on our Roku, (http://www.fraternitenotredame.com/2011_2_0/index.php), and have been taking in the TLM on TV.

One of the things I noticed (because of the camera angle) is at one point during or just after the Consecration, the priest tilts the chalice towards himself, and he bows and it looks like he's speaking into it.

Is that what he's actually doing? And if so, what's he saying?
(01-05-2015, 07:26 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]So, I'll preface this by saying that I don't have access to the TLM locally, so I attend a NO. I've only been to a handful of TLM in my life. Recently, we've discovered Fraternite Notre Dame streaming on our Roku, (http://www.fraternitenotredame.com/2011_2_0/index.php), and have been taking in the TLM on TV.

One of the things I noticed (because of the camera angle) is at one point during or just after the Consecration, the priest tilts the chalice towards himself, and he bows and it looks like he's speaking into it.

Is that what he's actually doing? And if so, what's he saying?

The priest is reciting the words of Institution over the chalice: 

Latin:                                                        English translation:

HIC EST ENIM CALIX SANGUINIS      FOR THIS IS THE CHALICE OF MY
MEI,  NOVI ET AETERNI                        BLOOD,  OF THE NEW AND
TESTAMENTI:  MYSTERIUM FIDEI,    EVERLASTING TESTAMENT,  THE
QUI PRO VOBIS ET PRO MULTIS      MYSTERY OF FAITH,  WHICH FOR
EFFENDETUR IN REMISSIONEM        YOU AND FOR MANY SHALL BE SHED
PECCATORUM.                                      UNTO THE REMISSION OF SINS.

P:  Haec quotiescumque            P:  As often as ye shall do

feceritis in mei memoriam        these things,  ye shall do

facietis.                        them in memory of Me.