FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: why should anyone believe in fatima?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Go.
The most basic reason for any Catholic to believe this apparition is that it was declared worthy of belief. A Portuguese bishop did so in October, 1930. I don't know when the overall Magisterium of the Church accepted. it.

Naturally, since it is a "private revelation", there is no requirement for any individual to believe it and we are free in that regard. I personally have no interest in it, because the World will end one way or another. Love of God and neighbour held true before Fatima and after Fatima.
'Cause your Momma said so!
70,000 witnesses to the miracle of the sun.
(01-18-2015, 05:17 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]70,000 witnesses to the miracle of the sun.

Yes but Our Lady predicted the Miracle of the Sun several months beforehand with these words.
"On the last month, I will perform a miracle so that all may believe."
These words "all may believe" oblige us to believe. Fatima is much more than a private revelation.
Dismissing the Miracle of the Sun is an offense to Our Blessed Mother
The only reason anyone would have to believe in Fatima is because the Church says it's worthy of belief and Catholics are supposed to believe in the authority of the Church. Aside from the Church backing it we have no way of knowing it's not a demonic deception no matter how many Portuguese supposedly saw the sun dance.  The Church approved it and the Church has the authority to say it was either true or false, end of story. That's all we have to go by.

I'm not much of a rosary devotee and my Marian devotion consists in a few pious ejactulatory prayers every now and then and venerating marian statues or icons when I'm in a chapel or at home. I'm more of a Jesus Prayer/ Divine Office guy.  Maria apparitions just don't really do anything for my faith either way, although I'm impressed with Guadalupe and the  Tilma and reading about them, Fatima included, can be fascinating.

I do consider myself a Catholic but there is nothing that says I must have a devotion to Fatima. As Heorot says above, the world will end someday anyway. For all those Catholics that find meaning in it, more power to you, the Church has approved it so go for it, but it isn't my thing.
(01-18-2015, 11:33 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]The only reason anyone would have to believe in Fatima is because the Church says it's worthy of belief and Catholics are supposed to believe in the authority of the Church. Aside from the Church backing it we have no way of knowing it's not a demonic deception no matter how many Portuguese supposedly saw the sun dance.  The Church approved it and the Church has the authority to say it was either true or false, end of story. That's all we have to go by.

I'm not much of a rosary devotee and my Marian devotion consists in a few pious ejactulatory prayers every now and then and venerating marian statues or icons when I'm in a chapel or at home. I'm more of a Jesus Prayer/ Divine Office guy.  Maria apparitions just don't really do anything for my faith either way, although I'm impressed with Guadalupe and the  Tilma and reading about them, Fatima included, can be fascinating.

I do consider myself a Catholic but there is nothing that says I must have a devotion to Fatima. As Heorot says above, the world will end someday anyway. For all those Catholics that find meaning in it, more power to you, the Church has approved it so go for it, but it isn't my thing.

Please consider taking up the practice of praying the daily Rosary and wearing the Brown Scapular.  The graces received far exceed the minimal effort involved.

The answer to the opening question "Why should anyone believe in Fatima" is:  Because it is true, and people should believe what is true.

Something happened there.  Secular sources reported on it.  Exactly what happened may be up for debate, but it sure looks like something happened.  Since that time, whatever happened there has influenced the faith of many people.  It's led them to pray more and to become more devoted to the Sacraments.  Also, it's been approved by the Church for devotion, the Church has an optional memorial for it, and the Church has beatified two of the visionaries (who were clearly edified by whatever happened to them there).  Must one believe in it in order to be a Catholic in good standing?  No.  However, because of the attention the Church has given to it, it should not be dismissed lightly.
(01-18-2015, 11:13 AM)maso Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-18-2015, 05:17 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]70,000 witnesses to the miracle of the sun.

Yes but Our Lady predicted the Miracle of the Sun several months beforehand with these words.
These words "all may believe" oblige us to believe. Fatima is much more than a private revelation.
70,000 witnesses
(01-18-2015, 11:13 AM)maso Wrote: [ -> ]

I am not dismissing the miracle of teh sun. I am suggesting that that number of witnessses would qualify as a good reason to believe in the veracity of Fatima.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10