FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Is Pope Francis condoning birth control?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm not talking about The Pill or what have you.  I'm talking about the idea of using Natural Family Planning as birth control.  If so, I think he's doing a grave thing with this. 

Pope: Catholics need not breed 'like rabbits'

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/.../22017365/

The Pope said what?!? More stunners from Francis

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/19/living/pope-said-what/

"God gives you methods to be responsible," Francis said. "Some think that, excuse me if I use that word, that in order to be good Catholics we have to be like rabbits. No. Responsible parenthood."

Can't wait to hear the crap from my Catholic-hating atheist co-workers this week.  Thanks your Holiness. 
Here is the full text and the context of what the Pope said.

Christoph Schmidt: Holy Father, first of all I would like to say: Thank you very much for all the impressive moments of this week. It is the first time I accompany you, and I would like to say thank you very much. My question: you have talked about the many children in the Philippines, about your joy because there are so many children, but according to some polls the majority of Filipinos think that the huge growth of Filipino population is one of the most important reasons for the enormous poverty in the country. A Filipino woman gives birth to an average of three children in her life, and the Catholic position concerning contraception seem to be one of the few question on which a big number of people in the Philippines do not agree with the Church. What do you think about that?

Pope Francis: I think the number of three children per family that you mentioned – it makes me suffer- I think it is the number experts say is important to keep the population going. Three per couple. When this decreases, the other extreme happens, like what is happening in Italy. I have heard, I do not know if it is true, that in 2024 there will be no money to pay pensioners because of the fall in population. Therefore, the key word, to give you an answer, and the one the Church uses all the time, and I do too, is responsible parenthood. How do we do this? With dialogue. Each person with his pastor seeks how to do carry out a responsible parenthood.
That example I mentioned shortly before about that woman who was expecting her eighth child and already had seven who were born with caesareans. That is a an irresponsibility That woman might say 'no, I trust in God.’ But, look, God gives you means to be responsible. Some think that -- excuse the language -- that in order to be good Catholics, we have to be like rabbits. No. Responsible parenthood. This is clear and that is why in the Church there are marriage groups, there are experts in this matter, there are pastors, one can search; and I know so many ways that are licit and that have helped this. You did well to ask me this.
Another curious thing in relation to this is that for the most poor people, a child is a treasure. It is true that you have to be prudent here too, but for them a child is a treasure. Some would say 'God knows how to help me' and perhaps some of them are not prudent, this is true. Responsible paternity, but let us also look at the generosity of that father and mother who see a treasure in every child.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/f...ome-84716/
And this pope is supposed to be "pastoral".
Does he not care how much he hurts the mothers of large families with language like this? I guess it's not important, because those families aren't modern anyway, and that's the only thing that's important, isn't it?
I don't have a family, but I know how much it hurts people to hear this kind of language from secular people. But in the past, at least you were consoled by the Church. Now we have a pope who enjoys jumping on your face when you lie in the mud.
(01-20-2015, 03:31 AM)Freudentaumel Wrote: [ -> ]And this pope is supposed to be "pastoral".
Does he not care how much he hurts the mothers of large families with language like this? I guess it's not important, because those families aren't modern anyway, and that's the only thing that's important, isn't it?
I don't have a family, but I know how much it hurts people to hear this kind of language from secular people. But in the past, at least you were consoled by the Church. Now we have a pope who enjoys jumping on your face when you lie in the mud.
Mothers of large families are too busy with the children to be "hurt" by what he said.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
(01-20-2015, 04:43 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2015, 03:31 AM)Freudentaumel Wrote: [ -> ]And this pope is supposed to be "pastoral".
Mothers of large families are too busy with the children to be "hurt" by what he said.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

LOL... true!

But did he not consider that some of us with large families want large families for reasons other than "the church says so"? My husband is from a large family, and his parents were very generous with life, and it has paid dividends as adults. I don't want to go into details, but it's something that I desire for my family.

And I don't understand why the woman who has had 7 c-sections is "irresponsible". Is it because she has 8 children? Or it is due to the c-sections? If she and her doctor determine that it's okay for her to have another baby, "who are we to judge"?
I don't think that people necessarily need to be having 8 children, especially in today's world where both parents are forced to work 40+ hours in the vast majority of cases. If you can do it, then great. I don't think people should look down on those people who decide to have a very large family. I remember a thing that that the AD of NY put out about statistics of new priests coming out of seminary. One thing that really stuck out to me was that a huge percentage of them came from families of 4 or more children. There is something about larger families from a religious sense and even just the idea of keeping the family close and together. I think our society definitely needs to break out of this ideal of two children, it's completely wrong.
Well, of course, I also don't think its necessary to have eight children to be a good Catholic couple. But to call these couples rabbits, well, that's insulting a bunch of 8 times folks mammas!

Also, what's with the “dialogue” thing? That's insane! Since when dialogue became just a wild card that solves all our problems?

This Pope seems to be afflicted with a severe case of Foot in Mouth Disease!  Oh, how I wish he would get to a monastery with a regimen of silence for a year or two of intense prayer and reflection!  Oh...but then he wouldn't be able to operate as Pope.  Gee, what a shame!

One can be a "responsible parent", imho, to eight children just as well as to two or three.  It's about the quality of *parenting*, not the number of children being parented--by responsible people, that is.
Its hard to know how to receive what Pope Francis says to a reporter at 30,000 feet between Manila and Rome. 

What concerns me is Francis possibly adding more cardinals, and choosing one's that reflect his progressive views on how the Church should handle people who proudly defy the Church's teachings on the 6th commandment.

And also what will come out of the Synod on the Family.  It seems to me that the way things are heading, there is a likelihood that in the foreseeable future Church leadership will officially treat notorious, unrepentant public sinners (like the divorced and remarried, or people in a homosexual relationship) as in good standing with the Church.

I could be wrong about this, but a woman who has had 7 caesareans has the moral right to have relations with her husband during fertile periods.  What Francis said suggests she does not.  Will the conciliar Church start telling parents they MUST use NFP?
Here goes the Pope trying to be popular again. I'm so sick and disgusted of hearing about the sex issue. I mean seriously, that's all anyone talks about nowadays. Sex this, sex that, sex there, sex here, and sex everywhere. Mankind needs to find a greater purpose for our time than this endless sex chatter. Seriously, secular and CINO's are going to continue to contracept because they are addicted to sex. Their lives to be quite honest are empty and they use sex to numb the pain. You can't rationalize with a drug addict why drugs are bad.

I think Pope Francis needs to say "these are our teachings, they are publicly available, and if you don't like them don't let the door hit you on the way out if you want to leave." End of the subject. Nothing more needs to be said.

I wish mankind was asexual.....
Pages: 1 2 3