FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: High Mass in 1960
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I found this treasure on youtube

Beautiful.  I wish things were still like that.  It is reverent, peaceful, and everything about it says "this is something beyond the mundane."  My one problem...Why do they feel there must always be a commentator?  It's obnoxious.  They're always so busy explaining everything that's going on so that we can't hear what's going on.  I'm sensitive to that, because I've seen a few too many EWTN-covered Papal Masses.
Absolutely stunning video, jhfromsf68. Thank you for posting it. The same college chapel provided a Midnight Mass video too. Glorious.

(01-23-2015, 11:18 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]Beautiful.  I wish things were still like that.  It is reverent, peaceful, and everything about it says "this is something beyond the mundane."  My one problem...Why do they feel there must always be a commentator?  It's obnoxious.  They're always so busy explaining everything that's going on so that we can't hear what's going on.  I'm sensitive to that, because I've seen a few too many EWTN-covered Papal Masses.

Sometimes it's helpful, especially when the commentator tries to give a sense of prayer. Most of the time, I too find it intrusive and annoying.

Probably, there are two factors at work in this case:

1. Since it's TV and it's England, he's potentially presenting the Mass to a still mostly-protestant and therefore still mostly-hostile audience.

2. It's 1960, one of the last years before the great doctrinal schism of Vatican II. They were only 5-6 years away from forced "active participation" in which Mass must be audible, understandable, and totally opened-up. It's really no-wonder that the commentator wanted to remove all sense of mystery. Such a thing isn't fitting for "contemporary man", after all.  LOL

The final fruits of the mindset behind the commentator's words have been displayed, anyway: Ushaw College closed recently, due to lack of vocations. From 400 students in 1960 to 0 students in 2012! The Fruits of the New Mass on display for all to see.  sad(

Perhaps vids like this will bring people around, one-by-one, to the ancient rite of Mass.