FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Orans Position and holding hands during Our Father
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Are there any good articles or suggestions on why we shouldn't use the Orans position during the Mass and similarly in holding hands during the Our Father?

I know that this is common practice in many Novus Ordo parishes but I was wondering if there are good resources or articles which talk about why we shouldn't do these gestures within the context of the Mass.

I have heard for example that the practice of holding hands during the Our Father actually derives from protestantism?

Tradition is a good enough answer for me. But outside of the Mass, in private prayer, the orans position is fine. As is hand-holding.
You scared me there, for a second I thought I was on Catholic Answers.
Fisheater's has a great page on http://www.fisheaters.com/stdominic9ways.html the Nine Ways of Prayer of St. Dominic.

I think these "postures" came from the charismatic movement.

Orans doesn't make sense because the Our Father prayer is after consecration. God the Son is before us on the altar. No need to lift hands to heaven.

What I really don't get at the NO is the backatchas. You know, the response is "...and with your spirit," and folks make hand signals.

And, very few bow at the words of the incarnation in the creed.
(02-20-2015, 05:42 PM)oremus Wrote: [ -> ]I think these "postures" came from the charismatic movement.

Orans doesn't make sense because the Our Father prayer is after consecration. God the Son is before us on the altar. No need to lift hands to heaven.

What I really don't get at the NO is the backatchas. You know, the response is "...and with your spirit," and folks make hand signals.

But doesn't the priest does something quite like (perhaps some initial or variation of) the orans position during the Pater noster in the TLM?

According to Ratzinger (in the Spirit of the Liturgy, where he also explains nicely the symbolism behind this gesture) this gesture is one of the oldest in Christendom, and prayer with joined hands is actually more recent than orans.

But anyway, this is not the same as holding hands, as nowhere in the Mass the priest and deacons hold hands.

Of course, I never use this gesture. Its just not in my nature. But I guess it would be hard to argue against it from principles. Just say that nowadays this looks silly.

(02-20-2015, 06:03 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-20-2015, 05:42 PM)oremus Wrote: [ -> ]I think these "postures" came from the charismatic movement.

But doesn't the priest does something quite like (perhaps some initial or variation of) the orans position during the Pater noster in the TLM?

According to Ratzinger (in the Spirit of the Liturgy, where he also explains nicely the symbolism behind this gesture) this gesture is one of the oldest in Christendom, and prayer with joined hands is actually more recent than orans.

But anyway, this is not the same as holding hands, as nowhere in the Mass the priest and deacons hold hands.

Of course, I never use this gesture. Its just not in my nature. But I guess it would be hard to argue against it from principles. Just say that nowadays this looks silly.

How it was explained to me is that the priest's orans posture means he is gathering the prayers of the faithful.
Ugh the Charismatics acts are beyond annoying for me. I can't help but cringe at all the hand-holding, orans and "backatya fatha!" with the "and with your spirit"

I cannot help but wish a nun would walk down the aisles with a ruler smacking people's hands real hard for being "show-offs"
Its the second time someone makes reference to this “with your spirit”. I don't get it, what's happening?
Isn't it normal, like in the TLM saying et cum spirito tuo?

(02-20-2015, 08:40 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: [ -> ]Its the second time someone makes reference to this “with your spirit”. I don't get it, what's happening?
Isn't it normal, like in the TLM saying et cum spirito tuo?

Yea its basically the same

The only noticeable difference is that in the Latin Mass people don't make a hand gesture as in the Novus Ordo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5