FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: A Question About Penance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Soooo... went to Confession today....

Over the years I've had some ... different... penances. I'm not objecting to them because they have been a tremendous blessing to me, and ties directly to the sin, and help me "correct" the behaviour that causes me to fall into sin. But it's not a sort of "say 3 Hail Marys" kind of penance where you do it and it's done.

For those of you who have had these different kinds of penances, do they have an end? I have one that I have been working on for 8 years now, and while I would probably keep doing it because it's a good thing to do, when can I stop doing it "because it's penance"? Or is there such thing as an unending penance?
If it's something you do daily, give it a month.  If it's something you do weekly, give it three months.  If it's something you do monthly, give it six months.  Also, find a confessor who will give you penances that have a definite beginning and end.  Things that don't have a specific beginning or end (such as, "start going to daily Mass," or "spend some time each day meditating on the gift of the Eucharist) are often good things to do, but those are better tips for spiritual direction rather than penances.  Sometimes, confessors blur those lines a bit.  Find a spiritual director and confessor who will give you a specific thing to do with a definite beginning and end for penances, and who will give you things like this simply as recommendations to develop your spiritual life.