FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Cupich takes power in Chicago, "reorganization" or destruction?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"(CBS) — Major reorganization and downsizing is underway at the Archdiocese of Chicago.
Archbishop Blase Cupich, in office for barely four months, has moved quickly to completely reshape the Archdiocese of Chicago under totally new leadership.
CBS 2 Chief Correspondent Jay Levine reports Cupich is bringing in his own people, dealing with financial reality in keeping with the tone being set by Pope Francis.
He’s replaced some, extended an offer of early retirement made by Cardinal George to many others in top management, and is even shaking up seminaries. At the same time, he is inviting supporters to an event, which may or may not happen.
Almost immediately after his installation, the archbishop moved to replace his vicar general, his CEO, accepted the resignation of his school superintendent, and now his moderator of the curia, in charge of 800 priests.
But inside the new chancery offices, the recently remodeled former seminary, where Cupich was announced as the new archbishop last fall, the changes will soon be even more extreme.
Eighty-eight longtime employees, about a quarter of the staff, have been offered early retirement deals.
The shake-up even extends to college seminaries, like St. Joseph at Loyola, where the top three educators have just been reassigned.
But while Cupich shares Pope Francis’ philosophy of a simple, prayerful life, he is apparently not following the Pope’s lead on an upcoming event.
An invitation was recently sent to 450 supporters of the Chicago Archdiocese to join Archbishop Cupich for a $5,000-per-person pilgrimage to attend the presentation of his pallium, by Pope Francis.
At this point it’s not clear whether there will be a public presentation. Pope Francis, moving to discourage costly ceremonial trips, back in January, declared the formal presentation of the pallium will from now on take place in archbishops’ home diocese, a far cry from the Vatican pomp and circumstance of the past.
Back in 1997, Cardinal George received his pallium, the lambswool vestment presented to metropolitan archbishops, from Pope John Paul II.
More than 100 Chicago Catholics accompanied him on that pilgrimage. But now, such trips are no longer the rule, as Pope Francis, who as far back as 2001, when he was made a Cardinal, urged local parishioners to donate to the poor in Buenos Aires, rather than fly to see the ceremony at the Vatican.
While the pilgrimage appears to be at odds with the spirit, if not the letter of Pope Francis’ philosophy, the archdiocese says it was put together in response to parishioners asking how they could be a part of the event.
No church money is being spent, but none is going to charity, either."

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/03/24/a...chdiocese/

C.
Without knowing WHO has received an early retirement deal, I can't really comment on what this means.  When I read Abp Cupich's installation homily, it was "the poor" this, "the poor" that- "the poor," "the poor," "the poor."  Just like my diocese was for decades before our current bishop came, the Chicago archdiocese seems to view the Church primarily as an institution to bring about social justice rather than the Bride of Christ who is there to glorify God and to save souls.  Rattling on and on about "the poor" will not save souls- it won't even help "the poor" all that much.  The most precious gift is the Catholic Faith.
We need to pray ardently for Abp. Cupich and for the faithful under him. That's all I am going to say about that...
But while Cupich shares Pope Francis’ philosophy of a simple, prayerful life, he is apparently not following the Pope’s lead on an upcoming event.
An invitation was recently sent to 450 supporters of the Chicago Archdiocese to join Archbishop Cupich for a $5,000-per-person pilgrimage to attend the presentation of his pallium, by Pope Francis.
At this point it’s not clear whether there will be a public presentation. Pope Francis, moving to discourage costly ceremonial trips, back in January, declared the formal presentation of the pallium will from now on take place in archbishops’ home diocese, a far cry from the Vatican pomp and circumstance of the past.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/03/24/a...chdiocese/

I think this person complains too much. Doesn't he realize that this kind of event is a backhanded way to collect donations so that he can better help the poor?
I'm going to buck the trend here and give the archbishop benefit of the doubt.  Maybe it's because he saw excesses in the archdiocese and wanted to cut down on the waste.  It's sad that those employees are offered "early retirement," but maybe the funds saved in the process can go to a more worthwhile cause.  It also seems unusual that he would sack the existing top management team, unless there was something to warrant it.  Perhaps he was brought in to clean up the archdiocese, and he's just doing his job.  Of course, this is just speculation, but given that I'm from Illinois, I know Chicago can be a very corrupt place.  Also, he may need to face the reality of the financial situation; if the archdiocese is in dire financial straits, he'd have no choice but to "reorganize" to cut cost.  It still sucks to be let go, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, much less my fellow Catholics, but it may be the reality these days.  It may be either to let those people go or declare bankruptcy, which would be disastrous for everyone.

Anyway, I'm not defending the archbishop, since I'm not close to the situation, and I haven't lived in IL for 10 years.  I'm just offering another plausible explanation, and I would caution people from jumping to conclusions, before the facts are known.
I'll cut him a break once he excommunicates abortionist catholic politicians.
  It's sad that those employees are offered "early retirement,"

At least they weren't fired outright.
Abp. Cupich  from his time in Spokane
"He forbade his priests to:
– pray outside of Planned Parenthood
– promote or organize peaceful protest outside Planned Parenthood in their parishes (naming 40 Days for Life specifically)
– or allow pro-life material to be distributed in their parishes unless it is published by the Washington State Conference of Catholic Bishops or the USCCB–who, ironically, support 40 DFL.

When 40 Days for Life contracted the diocese for clarification, Cupich advised his secretary not to respond. She then inadvertently copied Cupich's email saying that to 40 Days for Life!
Liberal liturgists have rejoiced because he holds a doctorate from Catholic University, and when he was ordinary of Rapid City he banned the EF during Holy Week, (granted that was before SP, but still) and he opposes ad orientem.

A comment of a parishioner in Rapid City: "written by Leo James, September 24, 2014

In his first Mass as our new Pastor in Omaha, Father Cupich publicly chastised our teenage daughter for genuflecting,as was her practice, along with many others in our parish, before receiving the Blessed Sacrament. He said loudly so that all in the communion line could hear: “don’t do that in my church again”. We pray that he has reflected on John 12:3 since that time and for those he is called to serve in Chicago."

Professor Douglas Kries at Gonzaga University in Spokane gives his assessment of Bishop Blase Cupich, the Spokane Bishop tapped to head the Chicago Archdiocese:

Bishop White Seminary at Gonzaga, which was nothing short of an extraordinary success story until Cupich became bishop, fell quickly into desuetude after his arrival. Moreover, when Gonzaga University refused to continue club status for Gonzaga’s campus Knights of Columbus council, Cupich, it is widely whispered, told the remaining seminarians not to discuss the matter with the press. It has also been widely reported that Cupich did not want his diocesan priests involved with certain pro-life groups that he considered too strident. Cupich may not even know it, but at the time, students involved with Gonzaga’s Right to Life Club felt abandoned, even though they were not his direct target.
http://the-american-catholic.com/2014/09...on-cupich/

C.

Yeah, but we're the schismatic heretic baby eaters because we want to worship like our forefathers.
I read up on Archbishop Cupich on Wikipedia, and I can't say I was very impressed by what I read.  I may need to retract some of what I said in my earlier post.  He doesn't seem to be very friendly to tradition at all, or even to historically Catholic morals and values.  But I suppose I shouldn't judge his particular actions here only by his stance on tradition.  Oh well, I'd be interested to see what becomes of it.