FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: A Question About Prayer Practices
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey,

Do you folks keep an actual, physical list of people  you're praying for, or just a mental list? I've so far just kept a mental list, and wondering if I should keep a paper list as well. The only problem I can see with that is that your list may become so long it's unwieldy, and how would you prune people/things off your list? I've been operating under the theory that if they naturally fall off my mental list, maybe they are no longer in such a great need of prayer.

I find praying for people is like laundry... you think you get to the end of it, only to find more needing to be done.
(04-14-2015, 11:59 AM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]Hey,

Do you folks keep an actual, physical list of people  you're praying for, or just a mental list? I've so far just kept a mental list, and wondering if I should keep a paper list as well. The only problem I can see with that is that your list may become so long it's unwieldy, and how would you prune people/things off your list? I've been operating under the theory that if they naturally fall off my mental list, maybe they are no longer in such a great need of prayer.

I find praying for people is like laundry... you think you get to the end of it, only to find more needing to be done.

I keep an actual, physical list, and keep it in my Jordanville Prayer Book.  I add and subtract names as needed.  If I had to rely solely on my memory, well, let's just say the list would rapidly become extremely short  :).

Yes, praying for people is endless.  I pray for specific people as I become aware of a need or desire to do so.  I also include in my prayers the petition to God that He remember and save ALL His people.  That oughta cover it, in my book.
(04-14-2015, 12:30 PM)J Michael Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-14-2015, 11:59 AM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]Hey,

I keep an actual, physical list, and keep it in my Jordanville Prayer Book.  I add and subtract names as needed.  If I had to rely solely on my memory, well, let's just say the list would rapidly become extremely short  :).

Yes, praying for people is endless.  I pray for specific people as I become aware of a need or desire to do so. I also include in my prayers the petition to God that He remember and save ALL His people.  That oughta cover it, in my book.

That's like consecrating the world to the Immaculate Heart expecting Russia is inside the world.  :P
I cannot keep a list.  There are too many people, and if I keep a list, I will start prioritizing, then feeling bad for prioritizing, then feeling bad because there are so many people to pray for that I neglect to simply adore God.  God knows who is in need of prayer, and He knows who asks me for it.  I bring to Him my needs, but not necessarily individually.
I used to have a tiny notebook with names on it but I got lazy and stopped using it. It's a great idea to remember people specifically by name though. What I'll do is pray the Jesus Prayer but instead of " have mercy on me" it'll be " have mercy on x". There's also an awesome " old believer prayer" I use:

Save, O Lord, and have mercy on Thy servant(s)________ [bow], Deliver him (her, them) from every tribulation, wrath and need [bow], From every sickness of soul and body [bow], Forgive him (her, them) every transgression, voluntary and involuntary [bow], And do whatever is profitable for our souls [bow]."
I keep a mental list and I leave it to the mercy of God.
As part of a general intercession I say after Compline, I have a fixed list of family I pray for by name, with a space to insert particular names, as well as a prayer specifically for those who have asked me to pray for them. If there is a particular need, especially an urgent one, I have separate prayers for those purposes.

For the departed, besides daily prayers for my grandparents, my wife's grandparents and the dead generally, I keep a necrology of deceased family and friends, and pray especially for the repose of their souls on their anniversaries. I compiled a necrology of the clergy of my previous diocese, and did the same; I have not compiled one for my current diocese. I used to have a necrology of non-beatified and non-canonized Popes, but I'm not sure what I've done with it.
For those who keep physical lists... how do you cull your list? Or do you not cull your list from time to time?
The Aurora in the mozarabic rite has a intercessions for various needs that is short, to the point, covers a lot of ground and it rymns in Latin.

Deus miserêre,
Deus miserêre:
Deus miserêre
infírmis,
oppréssis,
dispérsis,
captívis,
itinerántibus,
navigántibus,
tribulántibus,
pœniténtibus;
et defúnctis fidélibus cito succúrre, Pater Cœléstis.

Per misericórdiam tuam, Deus noster, qui es benedíctus, et vivis, et ómnia regis in sæcula sæculôrum.

Which in English means

Lord have mercy
Lord have mercy
Lord have mercy

for the sick
the oppressed
dispersed
captive
those who travel
those who sail the oceans
for those who are in trouble
for those who are penitent
and for the faithful departed, help them quickly Oh Heavenly Father

In your mercy Our God who is blessed and lives and rules everything for ever and ever. Amen

(04-14-2015, 11:49 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]For those who keep physical lists... how do you cull your list? Or do you not cull your list from time to time?

Good question.  I guess it's kind of random, except for the people that I always want to pray for specifically--family members, friends, those I know are in some kind of ongoing need, etc.  When someone dies I move them from the list of the living to the list of the departed.

Here's the intercessory prayers from the Jordanville Prayer Book (Orthodox) that I use.  Where it says "Orthodox" I just substitute either "Catholic" or "Catholic and Orthodox".
Quote:INTERCESSION Commemoration of the Living and Departed

Remember, O Lord Jesus Christ our God, Thy mercies and bounties which are from all eternity, and through which Thou didst become man and didst will to suffer crucifixion and death for the salvation of those who rightly believe in Thee, and having risen from the dead didst ascend into heaven, and sittest at the right hand of God the Father and regardest the humble entreaties of those who call upon Thee with all their heart: incline Thy ear, and hear the humble prayer of me, Thy worthless servant, as the fragrance of spiritual incense, which I offer to Thee for all people. And first remember Thy Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, which Thou hast provided through Thy Precious Blood. Confirm, strengthen, extend, and increase her, and keep her in peace, and for ever proof against the power of hell. Calm the dissensions of the Churches, and foil the plans of the powers of darkness, dispel the prejudice of the nations, and quickly ruin and root out the risings of heresy, and frustrate them by the power of the Holy Spirit. Bow.

Save, O Lord, and have mercy on our president and all in authority throughout the world, commanders-in-chief of armies and navies and airfleets, governors of provinces and cities, and all the Christ-loving navies, armies and police; protect their power with peace, and subdue under their feet every enemy and foe, and speak peace and blessing in their hearts for Thy Holy Church, and for all Thy people, and grant that in their calm we too may lead a quiet and peaceful life in true belief, in all piety and honesty. Bow.

Save, O Lord, and have mercy on Orthodox Patriarchs, Metropolitans, Archbishops and Bishops, the Priests and Deacons, and all who serve in the Church, and whom Thou hast ordained to feed Thy spiritual flock; and by their prayers, have mercy on me, a sinner. Bow.

Save, O Lord, and have mercy on our father (parish priest or abbot of monastery), with all his brethren in Christ, and by their prayers have mercy on me, wretch that I am. Bow.

Save, O Lord, and have mercy on my Spiritual Father (name) and by his prayers forgive me my sins. Bow.

Save, O Lord, and have mercy on all workers in this holy community, our brethren and all manual workers, and lay-workers, and farm labourers of this monastery, and all Christians. Bow.

Save, O Lord, and have mercy on my parents (names), my brothers and sisters and all my relatives, and the neighbours of my family, and friends - and grant them Thy worldly and spiritual goods. Bow.

Save, O Lord, and have mercy according to the multitude of Thy bounties, on all priests, monks and nuns, and on all living in virginity, devotion and fasting, in monasteries, in deserts, in caves, on mountains, on pillars, in hermitages, in the clefts of rocks, and right faith in every place of Thy dominion, and devoutly serving Thee, and praying to Thee. Lighten their burden, console them in their afflictions, and grant them strength, power and perseverance in their struggle, and by their prayers grant me remission of sins. Bow.

Save, O Lord, and have mercy on the old and the young, the poor and destitute, the orphans and widows, the leper colonies, epileptics and spastics, and those in sickness and sorrow, misfortune and tribulation, captives and exiles, in mines and prisons and reformatories, and especially on those of Thy servants suffering persecution for Thy sake and for the Orthodox Faith from godless peoples, apostates and heretics. Visit, strengthen, comfort, and heal them, and by Thy power quickly grant them relief, freedom and deliverance. Bow.

Save, O Lord, and have mercy on our benefactors, who have mercy on us and feed us, and relieve us of anxiety by giving us alms, and entrust us, unworthy as we are, to pray for them; and give them Thy grace, and grant them all their requests which conduce to salvation, and the attainment of eternal joy. Bow.

Save, O Lord, and have mercy on the Fathers and Sisters, and our Brotherhood, and on all Orthodox Christians who are messengers and missionaries in Thy service, and are travelling. Bow.

Save, O Lord, and have mercy on those whom I have offended or scandalized by my madness or inadvertence, and whom I have turned from the way of salvation, and whom I have led into evil and harmful deeds. By Thy divine providence restore them again to the way of salvation. Bow.

Save, O Lord, and have mercy on those who hate and offend me, and do me harm, and let them not perish through me, a sinner. Bow.

Illumine with the light of grace all apostates from the Orthodox Faith, and those blinded by pernicious heresies, and draw them to Thyself, and unite them to Thy Holy, Apostolic, Catholic Church. Bow.

For Those Departed in Sleep

Remember, O Lord, those who have departed from this life, Orthodox kings and queens, princes and princesses, Orthodox Patriarchs, Metropolitans, Archbishops and Bishops, Priests and Deacons and those who have served Thee in the Monastic State, and the laity of the Church, and the blessed founders of all Churches and monasteries, and grant them rest with the Saints in Thy eternal dwellings. Bow.

Prayer of Rememberance for Parents Departed in Sleep

Remember, O Lord, the souls of Thy servants who have departed in sleep, my parents (names), and all my relatives according to the flesh; forgive them every transgression, voluntary and involuntary; grant them the Kingdom and a part in Thy eternal joys, and the delight of Thy blessed and everlasting life. Bow.

Prayer for Monastery Brotherhood

Remember, O Lord, also all Fathers and Sisters and members of our Brotherhood who have departed in sleep with the hope of resurrection and eternal life, and all Orthodox Christians who lie here and in all the world, and with Thy Saints give them repose where the light of Thy Face shines and have mercy on us, for Thou art good and the Lover of men. Amen. Bow.

At the end, say three times:

Grant, O Lord, remission of all sins to our Fathers, Brothers and Sisters departed in the faith and hope of resurrection, and grant them memory eternal.
http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/...k/main.htm
Pages: 1 2