FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Blurring The Distinction Between Conservative and Traditional Catholicism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Am I the only one who's noticed quite a bit of use of the term "Traditionalist" to refer to people who simple advocate mainstream Catholic positions on abortion, homosexuality contraception etc.? While I'm somewhere in between the two, it is rather amusing to see leftists (nominal Catholic or otherwise) describe the Holy Father as still being a traditionalist for refusing to kowtow on these issues. Makes you wonder what would happen if they ever met a real Trad.
(04-15-2015, 09:31 PM)Praetyre Wrote: [ -> ]Makes you wonder what would happen if they ever met a real Trad.

They'd report us to the Southern Poverty Law Center as a "hate group" forthwith.

It's not just leftist types who refer to neo-conservatives as "traditional Catholics." I've seen neo-cons do it as well, proclaiming that they're "traditional" because they're Catholic and they're not the typical "cafeteria Catholic" sort. They say "tradition is part of Catholicism. I'm Catholic. Ergo, I'm a 'traditionalist.'" Whatevs.

Oops...wrong thread reply.
I recently learned this word/concept of 'ritualist' Christianity, which usually applies to Anglican Chruches, but seems to me to be pretty much what 'Traditional Catholicism' is to us, since it's mainly concerned about the mass and the rites. Really, every Catholic must be on the same page as far as abortion, gay-marriage and those things are concerned, otherwise they have seriously misunderstoofd something. I think the word 'traditional' can be a bit misleading sometimes for that reason, and that's exactly why I like this other word.

(04-15-2015, 10:05 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-15-2015, 09:31 PM)Praetyre Wrote: [ -> ]Makes you wonder what would happen if they ever met a real Trad.

They'd report us to the Southern Poverty Law Center as a "hate group" forthwith.

Anway Vox, I'm not so sure you are right!! I went to public school and was educated and more or less intellectually formed by liberal Jews. I worked in a bookshop called 'Chartwell' in NYC, which specializing in Winston Churchill, and run by a liberal but classy and cultural Jewish man, who was my boss. One of my co-workers was a first-generation Latino-American, not religious AT ALL, yet still 'Catholic.' I was a Protestant at the time, who had began attending Catholic mass with a group of young 'Traditionalists' at the Church of Our Savior, which in those days was well known for its beautiful mass. A monk came into the store to buy books every now and then and I started talking to him about wanting to convert to Catholicism. My boss overheard this and was very interested and later we discussed a bit about religion. He was even happy and filled with repesct that I took it seriously, and gained a higher opinon of me because of it. Now, considering this guy was a Jew, his concept of Catholism is more than likely the 'ritualist' one than the lukewarm spirit of Vactican II. So, actually, being a Trad can actually bring you closer to people outside of the church than you think. That's not to deny the fact the 'hate group' hollering types will always exist, of course.