FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Is it still safe for Catholics to laugh at Father Ted?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
From the Catholic Herald.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/issues/a...ather-ted/

I am not sure if Father Ted was as popular in the USA as it was in Great Britain and Ireland?

I agree with the author. I love Father Ted and have seen every episode.

I remember being shocked when on of my former pietistic, Medjugorje friends, when telling him I liked Father Ted, said that things like Father Ted lead people to hell (where incidentally he thought I was going, such is the fate of Lefebvrists, apparently, oh well, what can you do?).
Is it still safe to laugh at anything? Any smile is cause for suspicion in this day and age.

I love Father Ted. Grew up with him, and will grow old with him.
Great answer.

Glad someone replied.
The show was virtually unknown in North America, but being an Anglophile, I've sought out a few episodes on the net. I think it's hilarious and I feel sorry for anyone who can't see the humour!
(04-21-2015, 09:36 PM)LoyalVIews Wrote: [ -> ]Is it still safe to laugh at anything? Any smile is cause for suspicion in this day and age.

I love Father Ted. Grew up with him, and will grow old with him.
I will be suspicous of anyone caught laughing.
:Hmm: :Hmm: :Hmm:
(04-20-2015, 04:38 PM)Miles Immaculatae Wrote: [ -> ]From the Catholic Herald.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/issues/a...ather-ted/

I am not sure if Father Ted was as popular in the USA as it was in Great Britain and Ireland?

I agree with the author. I love Father Ted and have seen every episode.

I remember being shocked when on of my former pietistic, Medjugorje friends, when telling him I liked Father Ted, said that things like Father Ted lead people to hell (where incidentally he thought I was going, such is the fate of Lefebvrists, apparently, oh well, what can you do?).

Now that is an interesting question Miles. I am Irish and have been around since that comedy started.
The idea of portraying the Catholic priesthood, men who represent Christ on earth, in a comedy never appealed to me. I lived through the 1950s and experienced the collapse of a 99% Catholic country to the Sodom it is about to come in a month's time when the Irish will vote for homosexual and lesbian marriage, putting their lifestyle on par with the institution God instigated for the procreation of mankind. I have no doubt as to the cause of the demise of Catholic faith in Ireland. Vatican II began the rot, asking Ireland to remove the special place of Catholicism in our constitution. Then came the Protestant NO Mass where the sacrifice became a clappy-clappy sing-song meal. Then came the scandals of all sorts, bishops and priests affairs and their children being exposed. Then came the homosexual infiltration into the priesthood and the abuses on children that followed.

As far as I am concerned, Father Ted was/is but another attack on the priesthood, but this one was very clever. Turn them into a laughing matter and who could take the priesthood seriously any more. Instinctively I found the idea anti-Catholic, But then I am a 1950s Catholic and the 1990s Catholics would not have the same respect for the priesthood. I never watched more than three minutes of their show.

I would not accuse anybody of sinning by watching it. I see it as a sign of the times, undermining the priesthood and Catholicism as a joke.

Today in Ireland, in the attack on the family marriage set up by God Himself, without a WHIMPER from the Catholic hierarchy, is where the Catholioc priesthood lies today. We have had queer priests 'come out' at Mass, and priests actually advocating a yes vote for homosexual marriage. But then I realised who or what is the the leader of this rejection of God's Law, Vatican II again. Did they not change God's intention from children from marriage to the love of the persons as the first reason of marriage. If it really is the love between two persons, then what priest could argue against two homosexuals showing and sharing their 'love' in the same union?
I've never heard of this show but it does make me think of this Chesterton quote:

""the test of a good religion is whether or not it can laugh at itself."
My parents, who are not Catholic but who are in no way anti-Catholic, introduced the show to me. What few episodes that I have seen have been amusing. I may need to re-visit the show. There used to be an Irish bartender in New Orleans who worked at an Irish pub (you know...) who wanted to have Father Ted nights; I am not sure that he ever did, though. I will say, however, that he was the first bartender to show me how to fix a Guinness properly.
Father Ted is the best!

I just did a search to see if there were any threads on Ted (heh, that rhymes) and this one seems to be the most recent.

I'm American and I heard about the show from an English internet friend.
That said, I can see how cassini feels the way he does, having lived through what he has.
Pages: 1 2