FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: very urgent question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was very sad to learn of a friends death. She was a close friend. Not Catholic... The funeral is just at a funeral home. I began making plans to go. Its in another city and I need to travel. Now I am devastated to learn that my friend committed suicide. I am in a lot of pain but I need to decide basically now if I can still go. I just need the Church's teaching... Should we not go to such a funeral? It is not a Mass. I was told I could attend a non Catholic funeral of a non Catholic if I don't participate at all. Does this change the situation? Would it be like endorsing? A family member already bought a ticket for me. What should I do? Please pray for my friend... This is the most terrible news I can imagine
Father Z wrote about this very topic today!

ASK FATHER: Funerals for those who commit suicide
(05-19-2015, 04:03 PM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: [ -> ]Father Z wrote about this very topic today!

ASK FATHER: Funerals for those who commit suicide

+1 with special emphasis on this:

Father Z Wrote:Someone who kills himself would be, objectively, a manifest grave sinner. However, we also have to consider the person’s active subjectively.  The Church recognizes that many people who commit suicide are in difficult psychological conditions, which might impact their freedom, and therefore their culpability.  While the act of suicide itself is a grave sin, the person might not have been fully guilty of a mortal sin because he did not have full use of will.

Also see this page on the main FE site and scroll to the bottom of the page.
Go. You don't attend funerals because you endorse death; nor do you attend the funerals of suicides because you endorse suicide.

As for the Catholic Church's teaching, it is entirely acceptable for you to attend the funeral. It is the same as any non-Catholic funeral, which Catholics are allowed to attend. As for your scruples, consider this: would the Church expect the family and friends to just not bury the bodies of suicides, and not hold a memorial? There is always a funeral, because people always have to buried.

As for suicide more particularly, remember, first, that there are very often mitigating circumstances which reduce culpability, and second, that there is always hope of repentance, even in the last moments of life. Having been suicidal myself, it seems to me that it would be very difficult not to repent in the moments between "committing" the suicide and death, unless you had already trained yourself in refusing to repent. For this reason, don't lose hope--as the priest in the film Calvary says, discussing the same thing, "God is great; the limits of His mercy have not been set."
Go!
Thank you everyone! I asked my priest too and he said to go. So I'm leaving later this week to meet the family and friends. What a terrible time for all sad the family must be going through so much...
My heart is with you.  My family suffered a suicide during Lent three years ago.  The funeral was on Holy Saturday.  It was a horrible event, a horrible time.  Even now there is no closure.  Rely on your Faith.  May God be with you and the family.  My sincerest condolences for all of you and may your friend rest in peace.
Go
And pray for the repose of the soul of your friend.
May the soul of your friend and the souls of all the faithful departed rest in peace. Amen.
Thank you... I didn't realize this is what its like. I don't want to complain or think too much of my own suffering. But I can't find relief except in offering it to God and I just hope He gives me strength to make it through and be able to support my friends who don't have the faith to help them. I'm the only practicing Catholic. It's true there's no closure - maybe there is for some, but I can't find it. I just have to endure it with God's grace and try to pray for the others.