FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Priest 'issues urgent warning over dangers of demon summoning game'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From the Daily Mirror:

Quote:A Catholic priest has apparently issued an urgent warning about the dangers of "summoning a demon" by performing the weird Charlie Charlie Challenge.

In an open letter to pupils at a well-known Catholic school, Father Stephen McCarthy appears to have told told pupils there was no way of knowing what would happen if they decided to invite a Mexican ghoul into their home.

The letter was shared on Twitter by a pupil at the Saints John Neumann and Mario Goretti Catholic High School in Philadelphia, America.

The letter said: "There is a dangerous game going around on social media which openly encourages impressionable young people to summon demons.

'Playing with demons': A Charlie Charlie game
"I want to remind you all there is no such thing as 'innocently playing with demons'.

"Please be sure to NOT participate and and encourage others to avoid participation as well.

"The problem with opening yourself up to demonic activity is that it opens a window of possibilities which is not easily closed."

It went on to advise anyone looking to enjoy communing with "spiritual entities" should consider taking part in a Catholic mass.

The Charlie Charlie Challenge erupted on social media yesterday.

The dubious rite involves placing two pencils on a piece of paper in the shape of a cross, before writing the words yes and no inside the four squares formed by the pencils.

Brave (or gullible) participants must then repeat the words "Charlie, Charlie are you here".

If the pencil moves and points to yes, Charlie is in the house and you can draw upon his demonic life experience to ask him for guidance in the form of yes/no questions.

The letter has not been verified by Fr McCarthy or anyone at Saints John Neumann and Mario Goretti Catholic High School.

We have contacted the school for comment.
“Don't drink and drive”, “don't play with demons”, “don't throw yourself from a tall building”. Duh.  Eye-roll
(05-26-2015, 04:04 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: [ -> ]“Don't drink and drive”, “don't play with demons”, “don't throw yourself from a tall building”. Duh.  Eye-roll

Unfortunately, too many teens out there are too dense to get it. For WAAAY too many, you have to hit them with the equivalent of a two-by-four between the eyes before they get it.

It stinks but that's teen culture in a dying America these days.
I didn't link to a different article about this because it was full of Tweets and/or pictures of idiot teens tempting fate.  If you're interested click here, but be warned that the article is much more "in your face" and includes a video of the "game".
I used to play a collectible card game called Magic: The Gathering.  You can summon demons, dragons, djinns, necromancers, and all sorts of evil creatures and spells.  Of course, you can also summon angels and other good creatures.  I don't play anymore, but the cards are still sitting in a shoebox in my parents' garage somewhere, I think.  I can't even sell the cards, because my wife thinks they're evil and doesn't want me to spring them on anyone else.  Well, that's a few grand down the drain ...
(05-26-2015, 06:15 PM)AllSeasons Wrote: [ -> ]I used to play a collectible card game called Magic: The Gathering.  You can summon demons, dragons, djinns, necromancers, and all sorts of evil creatures and spells.  Of course, you can also summon angels and other good creatures.  I don't play anymore, but the cards are still sitting in a shoebox in my parents' garage somewhere, I think.  I can't even sell the cards, because my wife thinks they're evil and doesn't want me to spring them on anyone else.  Well, that's a few grand down the drain ...

It's just a card game. Not a bad one, at that, if it wasn't so expensive to keep up with. Don't take it so seriously. I'm sure there are collectors who'd be delighted to take some of it off your hands.
Yes, the difference is that in the card game you "summon" things only within the game. The "Charlie Challenge" attempts/ gets it's appeal from the idea of actually summoning  a real demon.
(05-26-2015, 07:58 PM)Optatus Cleary Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, the difference is that in the card game you "summon" things only within the game. The "Charlie Challenge" attempts/ gets it's appeal from the idea of actually summoning  a real demon.

Right. Everything about "summoning" and so on is just something tacked on for flavour to the game itself, which is a pure logical/mathematical construct.
I've never seen this discussed here before, but I have a strong suspicion its kinda polemic. Some exorcists say that even though Harry Potter is fictional it has names of demons and it praises magic and whatnot, and its something actually dangerous. By the same logic, Magic, even though its a contained fantasy, should be something dangerous (I don't know if it uses names of actual demons, I wasn't one of the cool kids playing with Magic or D&D  Grin ).

I for one would throw it away or burn it. If you trade, who knows where these cards have been. AllSeasons, if you don't even play anymore why leave it lying around, seeking whom it may devour.  Sticking tongue out at you
(05-26-2015, 06:15 PM)AllSeasons Wrote: [ -> ]I used to play a collectible card game called Magic: The Gathering.  You can summon demons, dragons, djinns, necromancers, and all sorts of evil creatures and spells.  Of course, you can also summon angels and other good creatures.  I don't play anymore, but the cards are still sitting in a shoebox in my parents' garage somewhere, I think.  I can't even sell the cards, because my wife thinks they're evil and doesn't want me to spring them on anyone else.  Well, that's a few grand down the drain ...

I haven't actually played the game, but from what I understand it is little more than a different theme on the Pokemon card games (though obviously it has been around longer than Pokemon).  In both you 'summon' different things to fight for you.  The battles take place based on the roll of a dice, flip of a coin or the instructions on the card. 

While not for everyone, I can't see how they would be considered demonic if playing the game as intended.  I'd sell them to a collector.

Regarding the OP topic - It is scary what kids will do if parents let them.  I've seen several videos of this 'game' and unless they are all staged (which is certainly possible) it is quite concerning. 

God Bless

Michael