FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Bishop Accountability
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Pope Francis has approved new norms that will allow for disciplinary action against bishops who fail to take action on sex-abuse complaints.

The norms call for the creation of a new tribunal, under the jurisdiction of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, to judge bishops who are charged with “crimes of the abuse of office” in sex-abuse cases.

The new norms were recommended by the special papal commission on sexual abuse, which is chaired by Cardinal Sean O’Malley. The proposals were submitted this week to the Council of Cardinals, which endorsed them, and given final approval by Pope Francis.

The new policy responds to widespread complaints that although priests, religious, and clerical employees are now subject to disciplinary action for sexual abuse, diocesan bishops had not been held accountable for negligence in handling complaints or for deliberately concealing clerical abuse.

The norms stipulate that complaints about a bishop’s abuse of office should be submitted to the competent Vatican dicastery: the Congregation for Bishops, the Congregation for Eastern Churches, or the Congregation for Evangelization. (These Vatican congregations have some supervisory responsibility over bishops, with the Congregation for Evangelization handling the dioceses in missionary territories and the Congregation for Eastern Churches handling the dioceses and eparches of the Catholic churches of the Eastern rites.)

In approving the policy, Pope Francis also approved the allocation of “adequate resources” to staff the new tribunal. This tribunal will be headed by a secretary, appointed by the Pontiff, serving under the prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. The staff of the tribunal will assist in cases involving sexual abuse by other clerics; disciplinary action in those cases is already the responsibility of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. The new policies were approved by Pope Francis for a five-year period, after which the process will be evaluated and may be revised.

Two lay members of the special papal commission on sexual abuse welcomed the news from the Vatican in email messages to the Crux web site. Peter Saunders said that he saw the creation of the tribunal as “a positive step that clearly indicates that Pope Francis is listening to his commission.” Marie Collins said she was “very pleased” with the move.

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/head...ryid=25209
(06-11-2015, 12:38 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]Pope Francis has approved new norms that will allow for disciplinary action against bishops who fail to take action on sex-abuse complaints.

The norms call for the creation of a new tribunal, under the jurisdiction of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, to judge bishops who are charged with “crimes of the abuse of office” in sex-abuse cases.

The new norms were recommended by the special papal commission on sexual abuse, which is chaired by Cardinal Sean O’Malley. The proposals were submitted this week to the Council of Cardinals, which endorsed them, and given final approval by Pope Francis.

The new policy responds to widespread complaints that although priests, religious, and clerical employees are now subject to disciplinary action for sexual abuse, diocesan bishops had not been held accountable for negligence in handling complaints or for deliberately concealing clerical abuse.

The norms stipulate that complaints about a bishop’s abuse of office should be submitted to the competent Vatican dicastery: the Congregation for Bishops, the Congregation for Eastern Churches, or the Congregation for Evangelization. (These Vatican congregations have some supervisory responsibility over bishops, with the Congregation for Evangelization handling the dioceses in missionary territories and the Congregation for Eastern Churches handling the dioceses and eparches of the Catholic churches of the Eastern rites.)

In approving the policy, Pope Francis also approved the allocation of “adequate resources” to staff the new tribunal. This tribunal will be headed by a secretary, appointed by the Pontiff, serving under the prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. The staff of the tribunal will assist in cases involving sexual abuse by other clerics; disciplinary action in those cases is already the responsibility of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. The new policies were approved by Pope Francis for a five-year period, after which the process will be evaluated and may be revised.

Two lay members of the special papal commission on sexual abuse welcomed the news from the Vatican in email messages to the Crux web site. Peter Saunders said that he saw the creation of the tribunal as “a positive step that clearly indicates that Pope Francis is listening to his commission.” Marie Collins said she was “very pleased” with the move.

http://www.catholic culture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=25209

The article lost me when he said Cdl. O'Malley chaired the committee. That man has let his position of authority go to his head. I didn't take much liking to him after hearing him blabbing on and on to secular reporters months ago about Bp. Finn.  From what I understand, he's trying to do the same thing to Cdl. Pell. I don't know why you keep sending links to Catholic Culture. The links to that site are always broken and the person who runs it isn't very tradition-friendly.
I think the broken links are intentionally done not by Poche himself but by the forum software itself.

It is like when you type foul words then it censors itself.

Such as: the s word

Even when words such as Peshitta gets typed it would censor the word "shit"

See what I mean?

N.
I don't think that's it. catholicculture.org See?
(06-11-2015, 11:08 AM)dcmaccabees Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think that's it. catholicculture.org See?

Well then. I think the software somehow blacklisted catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=2233
That's weird
There is a problem with linking the catholic culture site to here. It began a few months ago or so. People tried entering it as an https link and it worked for a short time and then that stopped working too. Someone said it's impossible for a site to control how they are linked to, but this looks too strange to just ignore. That, plus Jeff Mirus, the owner of the site, has said some pretty strange things recently about not using Latin in the liturgy. He's too weird for me. I am not sure why it is continually being shared here, when it's owner's sensibilities differ so much from those who post here.
This FE threads claims CC is blocked from FE and vice versa. It's pretty straightforward to block URLs so it's possible FE is blocking CC.
(06-11-2015, 08:11 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-11-2015, 12:38 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]Pope Francis has approved new norms that will allow for disciplinary action against bishops who fail to take action on sex-abuse complaints.

http://www.catholic culture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=25209

The article lost me when he said Cdl. O'Malley chaired the committee. That man has let his position of authority go to his head. I didn't take much liking to him after hearing him blabbing on and on to secular reporters months ago about Bp. Finn.  From what I understand, he's trying to do the same thing to Cdl. Pell. I don't know why you keep sending links to Catholic Culture. The links to that site are always broken and the person who runs it isn't very tradition-friendly.
I think they need someone who is going to be tough on someone who is going to look the other way when someone is abusing children in the name of the Church.
Cardinal O'Malley has no problem looking the other way when someone is abusing children in the name of the Church, as long as that someone shares his ecclesiology.  Witness his deafening silence on the new bishop of Osorno, Chile.
Pages: 1 2