FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Catholic, Orthodox Christian and atheist to present Pope’s encyclical
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
From the Catholic Herald:

Quote:A Catholic, an Orthodox Christian and an atheist are to present the encyclical Laudato Si, Pope Francis has said.

The Pope, speaking during an audience with priests in Rome, said the line-up would reflect the fact that “we need unity to protect creation”.

The Pope’s encyclical on the environment, entitled Laudato Si, on the care of our common home, will be presented at a press conference in the Vatican’s synod hall on Thursday.

Yesterday the Pope told pilgrims assembled in St Peter’s Square: “I invite you to accompany this event with a renewed attention to the situation of environmental degradation, but also of recovery in one’s own region.

“This encyclical is addressed to everyone: let us pray so that all may receive its message and grow in responsibility toward the common home that God has entrusted to us all.”

“Laudato si” is the introductory phrase to eight verses of St Francis of Assisi’s famous prayer thanking God for the gifts of creation. It is medieval Italian, not Latin.

“Praised be you, my Lord, with all your creatures, especially Sir Brother Sun, who is the day, and through whom you give us light,” one of the first lines says.

The prayer also praises God for the gifts of “Sister Moon”, “Brother Wind,” “Sister Water”, “Brother Fire” and “Sister Mother Earth”.

US Fr Michael Perry, minister general of the Order of Friars Minor, said the canticle was “not just a flowery song about how we should live with nature. It is challenging us to revise our entire way of living our lives” in accordance with Gospel values, he said. “If someone is starving somewhere in the world, we are responsible.”

The canticle is a call for people to recognise that they are sons and daughters of God and brothers and sisters to one another, he said, “part of one family that embraces all creation: trees, sun, rivers, wind, fire – all of these because they all give glory to God.”
(06-15-2015, 05:47 PM)dcmaccabees Wrote: [ -> ]From the Catholic Herald:

Quote:A Catholic, an Orthodox Christian and an atheist are to present the encyclical [...]

Isn't there a joke somewhere that begins like thatHuh?
Eye-roll
Do you remember when the Popes used to write things like Fides et Ratio and Aeterni Patris?
I've been trying to find out which Orthodox and which atheist, but no site will tell me. Anyone know?
The PROBLEM, according to the GREEN lot, is that there are TOO MANY PEOPLE on earth.

Get rid of babies and anyone over 65 and then there should be more room on the earth that can be set aside for animals. Not cows mind you, as Ireland produces more emmissions from cow-farts than from cars and electricity.

Sure its no wonder Francis wants atheists to be present when he throws in his lot with them.
(06-16-2015, 11:43 AM)cassini Wrote: [ -> ]The PROBLEM, according to the GREEN lot, is that there are TOO MANY PEOPLE on earth.

Get rid of babies and anyone over 65 and then there should be more room on the earth that can be set aside for animals. Not cows mind you, as Ireland produces more emmissions from cow-farts than from cars and electricity.

Sure its no wonder Francis wants atheists to be present when he throws in his lot with them.

“Most Eugenists are Euphemists. I mean merely that short words startle them, while long words soothe them. And they are utterly incapable of translating the one into the other, however obviously they mean the same thing. Say to them "The persuasive and even coercive powers of the citizen should enable him to make sure that the burden of longevity in the previous generation does not become disproportionate and intolerable, especially to the females"; say this to them and they will sway slightly to and fro like babies sent to sleep in cradles. Say to them "Murder your mother," and they sit up quite suddenly. Yet the two sentences, in cold logic, are exactly the same. Say to them "It is not improbable that a period may arrive when the narrow if once useful distinction between the anthropoid homo and the other
animals, which has been modified on so many moral points, may be modified also even in regard to the important question of the extension of human diet"; say this to them, and beauty born of murmuring sound will pass into their face. But say to them, in a simple, manly, hearty way "Let's eat a man!" and their surprise is quite surprising. Yet the sentences say just the same thing.”
― G.K. Chesterton, Eugenics and Other Evils: An Argument Against the Scientifically Organized State
(06-16-2015, 11:34 AM)Dirigible Wrote: [ -> ]I've been trying to find out which Orthodox and which atheist, but no site will tell me. Anyone know?

This article names them:

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2015/06...lical.html
(06-16-2015, 11:34 AM)Dirigible Wrote: [ -> ]I've been trying to find out which Orthodox and which atheist, but no site will tell me. Anyone know?

Zizioulas, if I remember correctly.

I read some of his stuff, its not that bad, really.
(06-16-2015, 11:43 AM)cassini Wrote: [ -> ]The PROBLEM, according to the GREEN lot, is that there are TOO MANY PEOPLE on earth.

To be fair, at least from the reports I've read (I don't read Italian!), the encyclical does criticize this attitude--but we'll see when the official one comes out and is translated to English.
Pages: 1 2