FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Another, 'Where Do They Get These Ideas!'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
From an old post by a Canadian Fishie:

Quote:As an example at Vatican Council I the Canadian Bishops voted as a block against the definition of Papal Infallibility.

The last time I checked, there were only two votes against the definition of the Dogma, one being Aloisio Riccio,  the Bishop of a small Italian Diocese, and the other was Bishop Edward Fitzgerald, of Little Rock, Arkansas.
(06-18-2015, 01:56 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: [ -> ]From an old post by a Canadian Fishie:

Quote:As an example at Vatican Council I the Canadian Bishops voted as a block against the definition of Papal Infallibility.

The last time I checked, there were only two votes against the definition of the Dogma, one being Aloisio Riccio,  the Bishop of a small Italian Diocese, and the other was Bishop Edward Fitzgerald, of Little Rock, Arkansas.

When drafting Pastor Aeternus, it was decided to resolve the issue on infallibility first before proceeding to the rest, which ultimately led to a preliminary vote on that definition alone.  I don't know the breakdown on nationality, but from what I understand there were 80 or so who voted against the proposed definition.  That's probably what is being referenced.  The final vote on the complete Pastor Aeternus only had 2 who voted against it as a whole (with a lot of bishops abstaining and just leaving).
(06-18-2015, 01:11 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: [ -> ](with a lot of bishops abstaining and just leaving).
  Including a lot of Eastern bishops, right?
(06-18-2015, 01:11 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: [ -> ]When drafting Pastor Aeternus, it was decided to resolve the issue on infallibility first before proceeding to the rest, which ultimately led to a preliminary vote on that definition alone.  I don't know the breakdown on nationality, but from what I understand there were 80 or so who voted against the proposed definition.  That's probably what is being referenced.  The final vote on the complete Pastor Aeternus only had 2 who voted against it as a whole (with a lot of bishops abstaining and just leaving).

I've done a little research. Earlier in the voting, seven North American Bishops voted against it, Six were from the US, only one from Canada, Bishop Mrac of the Diocese of Sault Sainte Marie in Ontario.
(06-18-2015, 02:18 PM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-18-2015, 01:11 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: [ -> ](with a lot of bishops abstaining and just leaving).
  Including a lot of Eastern bishops, right?

Interestingly, in my research it seems that they were pretty much all Latin Rite, Western Bishops.