FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: For popsthebuilder re: praying for each other
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Started so as not to completely derail this thread in the Oratory subforum.

The conversation so far:

(06-19-2015, 09:22 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote: [ -> ]Just curious. Doesn't the bible say something about praying in solitude?

(06-20-2015, 02:18 AM)dcmaccabees Wrote: [ -> ]Mathew 6:6.  The Bible also tells us to pray for each other, for example in James 5:16.  Both/and, not either/or.  It's one of the major differences between Catholics and Protestants.

(06-20-2015, 11:26 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote: [ -> ]But can't you pray for one another without making sure you get recognized for it by the party you are praying for?

Of course you can!  There's nothing wrong with letting our fellow believers know that we care though, right?  Smile
They should know that as a certainty that goes along with true faith. Really it doesn't matter if the assume the opposite. As long as you are true to yourself and the lord. But u also feel that we shouldn't pray for any certain thing to take place unless it is gods will.

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk

(06-20-2015, 02:22 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote: [ -> ]They should know that as a certainty that goes along with true faith. Really it doesn't matter if the assume the opposite. As long as you are true to yourself and the lord.

Sort of... 1 Timothy 2 talks about how we should be praying for each other, for example.  So, yes, we should all "know" that we're praying for each other.  However, there's nothing wrong with asking for prayer (Hebrews 13:18-19) or letting the recipient know that you're praying for them (Ephesians 1:16).

(06-20-2015, 02:22 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote: [ -> ]But u also feel that we shouldn't pray for any certain thing to take place unless it is gods will.

Psalm 142[143]:10 and 1 John 5:14-15 both speak about this: to strive to conform to God's will and the confidence that He will answer our prayers.
If you conform to gods ways than your prayers would be for what the lord wants.

Is pops against prayer Huh?

I always pray for people and don't tell them, but if they ask why wouldn't I say something like “I'll do it”?

In almost every Epistle the Apostles say they have prayed for the recipients of the Epistle. Our Lord Himself said He prayed for Peter and for us. Are you saying He was wrong? That He was bragging about prayer (which shouldn't be an object of pride since its basically, in a sense, a sacrifice).

This is a weird discussion.
(06-20-2015, 06:23 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote: [ -> ]If you conform to gods ways than your prayers would be for what the lord wants.

Ideally, yes.  The Our Father is the model ("Thy will be done") as is Christ's prayer on the mount (Luke 22:39-46, Matthew 26:36-46, Mark 14:32-42).
(06-20-2015, 06:35 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: [ -> ]Is pops against prayer Huh?

I always pray for people and don't tell them, but if they ask why wouldn't I say something like “I'll do it”?

In almost every Epistle the Apostles say they have prayed for the recipients of the Epistle. Our Lord Himself said He prayed for Peter and for us. Are you saying He was wrong? That He was bragging about prayer (which shouldn't be an object of pride since its basically, in a sense, a sacrifice).

This is a weird discussion.

I may be wrong, but my sense is that pops isn't Catholic and is trying to get a sense of what we believe...
I am not Catholic. But I respectfully wish to learn about Catholicism, and all relevant older religions. I did not mean to offend. I surly believe in prayer. I do at times ask for things from God other than guidance in the direction of his will, but upon doing so I add " if it is your will". Just speaking of my prayer to the lord to other people as I am doing now feels wrong though.

May I ask what religion you belong to, Pops?
I'm a bit confused here since this is an offshoot of my thread asking for prayers for the conversion of my family. If we shouldn't seek our will but Gods and his will is for all people to be saved, how is asking for prayers for my families conversion contrary to that? I may be misinterpreting that is being discussed here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 2