FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Ivories (and Wooden) Christian Images From Goa and the Philippines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sto. Niño Menino (The Good Shepherd)

[Image: IMG_2760-328x754.jpg]
La Inmaculada Concepcion (The Immaculate Conception)

[Image: main.JPG]

Back view:

[Image: back.jpg]
Another one:

[Image: Virgin_2_20120112155229.jpg]
Here to contrast is a Philippine example: https://www.flickr.com/photos/apolakay/8517120121/

[Image: 8517120121_b533b96995_b.jpg]

Here is a description from the source:

Purisima Concepcion / The Immaculate Conception

17th Century

FILIPINO

Solid ivory with gilding and polychromy.

A solid ivory image of the Immaculate Conception. The Virgin is shown as a young woman with her hands folded at her breast in an attitude of prayer. Her tunic is cinched at the wasit witha belt and falls in vertical creases ending in soft, gentle folds at the hem allowing the left foot to peek through. The Virgin's mantle also falls in vertical folds at her back with both edges of the mantel tucked into the crook of the Virgin's elbows.

The Virgin's face exhibits a gentle, enigmatic smile typical of the Philippine work of the 17th century. She has a wide fore head with eyes that have lids which are slightly heavy and bulging recalling the epicanthic fold of Oriental eyes. Her lips are painted a pale red-orange hue as is typical of Philippine work. Her hair falls to her sides in ropy curls -- a stylistic conceit of Philippine work of the 17th century. Her hands -- both intact -- are beautifully carved. Both her tunic and mantle are decorated in foliate and scrolled decorative patterns painted a faded maroon (which could also be the oxidized remains of old gilding). The Virgin's hair also show remnants of gilding.

At the back is a tuck or suksuk although it is not shown here. The Virgin stands on a velvet covered peana or base which is not original to the image.

Height: 33 cm or 13.2 in.
The Niño Menino and the Immaculate Conception from Goa are adorable.  However, I can't see the third image.  The Immaculate Conception from the Philippines is very beautiful.  I love the Immaculate Conception: both the Dogma and the Person.
Here is an Immaculate Conception from Sri Lanka (!)

[Image: 7912a007e78a3e959ed4d3c0c85f056b.jpg]
Another one from Goa:

[Image: mqc%20138_detalhe.jpg]
Another from the Philippines, 18th Century, Glass Eyes

[Image: tumblr_mumx6aBif21sccwdpo1_400.jpg]

Ivories are so gorgeous. That last one, the 18th c. one with the glass eyes is an especially lovely piece. Sigh.

But I just can't be down with killing elephants to get their tusks (or even to eat their meat, with tusks as a by-product). I'm going to tell myself that these figurines were carved from ivory retrieved from elephants who died peacefully in their sleep. Of old age. While having dreams of splashing in the water.  :P 

(I really do have a big "thing" for elephants. They're so incredibly beautiful, so sad-seeming, so lumbering and lovely and social and highly intelligent creatures...)
(07-02-2015, 12:19 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]Ivories are so gorgeous. That last one, the 18th c. one with the glass eyes is an especially lovely piece. Sigh.

But I just can't be down with killing elephants to get their tusks (or even to eat their meat, with tusks as a by-product). I'm going to tell myself that these figurines were carved from ivory retrieved from elephants who died peacefully in their sleep. Of old age. While having dreams of splashing in the water.   

(I really do have a big "thing" for elephants. They're so incredibly beautiful, so sad-seeming, so lumbering and lovely and social and highly intelligent creatures...)
They also, if I am not mistaken, hide themselves when mating. They are gentle creatures. Pope Leo X even owned one!

If I were ever to go looking for ivory, I would look for a skeletal remains of  a dead elephant, or a mammoth tusk.

I have a passion for ivories! But I like elephants alive too.

N.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6