FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: OK, I'm Totally Confuzzled!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The TLMs I go to the only occasions we do a “second confiteor” is when the Mass is Cantata or Solemn. But in these cases the first confiteor (besides that of the priest) is said by the acolyte or deacon only.

Is this what you guys are talking about?
At the Prayers at the Foot of the Altar, the priest says the Confiteor. Then the server says the Confiteor.

After the Consecration, as the priest consumes the Chalice, the server (in Low Mass) or the deacon and subdeacon  (at High Mass) again says (or chant) the Confiteor. This is known as the "second Confiteor."  (Even though, for those keeping count, it is actually the third time the Confiteor is said.)

As I understand it, here is the history of the "second Confiteor" pertinent to this discussion: The reason why there is a "second Confiteor" is that, prior to 1962, the people's Communion was not part of the Missal. So the Rite of Communion was used, which includes this Confiteor. With the 1962 Missal, the people's Communion was part of the Missal and there is no second Confiteor included. But it continues is use due to longstanding custom. Custom has the force of law over time, so it is correctly included in the Rite.
ermy_law Wrote:As I understand it, here is the history of the "second Confiteor" pertinent to this discussion: The reason why there is a "second Confiteor" is that, prior to 1962, the people's Communion was not part of the Missal. So the Rite of Communion was used, which includes this Confiteor.
This is exactly what my sacristan friend just told me two days ago. Even though I knew the Communion of the faithful to be a separate rite from the Mass before Trent I never connected the Communion Confiteor to that. Mostly because the Communion of the faithful has been part of the Mass since St. Pius V's reforms, and the Church never had any thought of taking it away since then. So as far as I understand it was not merely with the '62 Missal that the Communion of the faithful is part of the rite of Mass but that is what St. Pius V did with the his Missal, and same with the prayers at the foot of altar.
I have heard about this for years, I believe Fr. Z (not that he is the end all of commentary) has commented on this several times.  If these priest were using the 1955 missal particularly for Easter, which allegedly that got a dispensation to use is kind of disturbing in a sense that as far as I know all the indults, provisions of Ecclesia Dei and Summorum Pontificum were only for the usage of the 1962 missal.  In a sense this would be the equivalent to an OF priest using the old ICEL translation for Mass .  Now with the candles and second confiteor, things that I guess were 'suppressed'.  From what I understand is that they are legitimate accretions and local traditions that are beneficial to the faithful hence why they are permitted.  Then again, I have never been to a TLM that didn't have a second (or third depending on who you ask) confiteor either.

Now I do think that they next moves of the traditional movement should begin to push back further to de-Bugninify the liturgy altogether, as the 1962 Missal and Breviary will not be the end all for us.  At some point, Rome will demand a revision particularly when it comes to the calendar and updating to reflect the Canon Law of 1983 or whatever will come, whether or not they will ask the traditional societies to be consultants, we will see. 
Pages: 1 2 3