FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Answering a comment on hand gestures at Mass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://walkinginthedesert.com/2015/07/09/attacking-an-attack-alt-title-if-its-not-a-sin-although-it-is/?preview=true&preview_id=1586&preview_nonce=69012ad9e1

By Neopelagianus

[Image: Candlemas-Saint-Francies-de-Sales-Orator...cre8qj.jpg]

Everyone is Doing It so it should be done right?

I was reading and perusing my Facebook just the other day when I saw a post from a certain Facebook Page about Raising hands and/or holding hands during the Our Father. Then, a certain madame then commented:

If it is not a sin, why stop the congregation from doing it? Just because the Protestants are doing it, Catholics should not do it? I bet only one out of 1000 Catholics has read the GIRM or knows the rubrics. Who cares for GIRM or the rubrics, anyway, when priests themselves do not even care to mention them in their homilies or instructions during Mass. There’s just too much hypocrisy and politics in the Catholic Church, which turn off the faithful. Notice the dwindling numbers of Sunday Mass goers, churches almost empty?

Let me dissect the comment, for indeed this comment deserves a surgery:

If it is not a sin, why stop the congregation from doing it?

I answer that it is a sin in the first place. Nowhere in the General Instruction of the Roman Missal permits the laity to hold hands and to raise them up in the air during the Our Father, or at any other part in the Mass to be honest.

Just because the Protestants are doing it, Catholics should not do it?

Yes, but it depends.  In this case we should not imitate the Protestant usage, since the Protestant usage implies that the Mass is not a Sacrifice and is furthermore not of equal worth as that of the Crucifixion of Christ. Rather according to them, it is nothing but a service, a memorial of the Last Supper of Our Lord and only a memorial of the same. It emphasizes community instead of the worship of God. A most ludicrous emphasis. “I can get my community at a grocery store…”, as Mother Angelica herself once declared in an episode of her eponymous show in EWTN.

I bet only one out of 1000 Catholics has read the GIRM or knows the rubrics.

That doesn’t mean that the majority of the Catholic population does not know or is ignorant of the General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM), nor does it mean that its rules and regulations should be disregarded altogether. My goodness, let us posit a time in the future where even most Catholics forgot the Ten Commandments. Since most would be ignorant of the Ten Commandments, must they not need to follow it because of ignorance? This is a fallacy, since a law is a law, even if most have forgotten it. Let us remember that ignorance of a law does not excuse someone from following it.

Who cares for GIRM or the rubrics, anyway, when priests themselves do not even care to mention them in their homilies or instructions during Mass.

Who cares? God does. He would love to be worshiped properly, and the GIRM is a good guide and instruction for that purpose. Yes, priests do not mention them in their homilies since they are not always altogether relevant for mere laymen to know during Mass such as perhaps for when to sit, to stand and to kneel. This argument is almost tantamount to saying that the priest must give a homily about the difference between a Solemnity and an Optional Memorial, and when the Te Deum in the Roman Breviary must be said and recommendations on how you will pronounce Latin. In other words, these, while laudable for priests to talk about, are not important to be mentioned  or be made the entire discussion in a sermon at Mass.

There’s just too much hypocrisy and politics in the Catholic Church, which turn off the faithful.

This is a straw-man argument against the rubrics. What is the direct relation between hypocrisy and rubrics? Does it now mean that rubrics and the proper following of rubrics is now considered hypocrisy? Or perhaps the person who wrote this tried to make a point that we should focus more on these problems? Dear me, can’t they be done at the same time? Does the Church simply focus on one single issue to solve and disregard the rest. Let this commenter try telling that to the Muslims or Jews. Let her tell them that they by following their rubrics in their services correctly are being hypocrites! Remember that a hypocrite is someone who is not practicing what he is preaching intentionally and not accidentally.

Notice the dwindling numbers of Sunday Mass goers, churches almost empty?

I concede to the fact of the dwindling numbers of Sunday Mass goers. Indeed, they are a common sight in places like Italy or Spain (in my country it is not as noticeable). But what is the relation between dwindling numbers of the faithful Mass goers and the rubrics? The real relation between them is that the priest celebrating the Mass is disregarding the rubrics, giving way to dissent and irreverence during the Sacrifice. Those who used to attend the Mass see these realities and get either bored or find no meaning in the Mass. So therefore they leave and stop attending. This is a common syndrome especially after Vatican II. The purpose of rubrics is to guide the priest in preventing abuses that would cause great spiritual harm to both the priest and the people in attendance. Disregarding the rubrics is the primary cause in liturgical banality and irreverence.

——————————————————————

Folks, I would love to add more, but I guess my own frailty of mind cannot say anything more, for indeed I have just awaken from my deep slumber when I started writing this blog post. Perhaps I would make another post discussing more of my thoughts.

N.

Further Reading:

Hand Gestures at Mass?

Make hyperlink code easily.
Sorry the original link isn't the actual article. Here is the working link...

http://walkinginthedesert.com/2015/07/09...dgestures/