FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: CAF Disabled Registrations!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well well.....our brethren (if you can call them that) over at CAF have disabled registrations. I wonder why..... Since they were ban happy there are so few people posting there now. LOL! ROFL! It really would be poetic justice if that place folded up with its feminists, feminist-sympathizers, and run of the mill heretics. Maybe this will send some people over to Fish Eaters!
Perhaps it will, since FE is a more "discussion-friendly" forum than CAF.

N.
Once I tried to join it just to see if I'd be banned (you know, to test their fame) but it was disabled back then. I suspect they do it periodically.

The problem with competing with those guys is not because they are superb in what they do, but they have the advantage of literally having the domain catholic.com. To find FishEaters (or any other decent Catholic website, I'd say) one have to look pretty hard on the internet.
Long before they had a discussion forum, Catholic Answers had their apologetics site, as well as their tracts, other publications, speakers, and online store. I first learned about them in 2001 when I wasn't Catholic and a friend recommended them to me as a resource for any questions I might have. Four years or so later, when they got their forum going, I was very happy to join. It was good, at first, as were my experiences with their site and speakers.

When Pope Benedict was pope, I had no problems with how the moderators dealt with me. They left me alone. I followed the rules. I loved Pope Benedict, and either they did too or they thought it wise to suck up to him.  I did have problems with some of the members saying that homosexuality was the one sin the cross didn't cover, or that priests assisting illegal immigrants were 'ministers of hell' and the moderators taking too long to remove the posts. They left me alone though, so I was able to use CAF effectively for my own purposes. When Pope Francis became pope, however, the tone changed. I guess they were more interested in sucking up to the current pope than in heeding the words of the previous one, that "an 'adult' faith is not a faith that follows the trends of fashion and the latest novelty; a mature adult faith is deeply rooted in friendship with Christ. It is this friendship that opens us up to all that is good and gives us a criterion by which to distinguish the true from the false, and deceipt from truth."  Practically overnight, after Francis became pope, clear defense of Catholic orthodoxy against wicked clergy and religious was no longer welcome.  That's when I left.
I stopped posting there shortly after the beginning of the Francis papacy as well. Place was quite liberal, most traditionalists were either banned or given infractions for anything that resembled any negativity towards the establishment. I found this place and never looked back. It's been a Godsend.
(08-19-2015, 10:54 PM)GangGreen Wrote: [ -> ]I stopped posting there shortly after the beginning of the Francis papacy as well. Place was quite liberal, most traditionalists were either banned or given infractions for anything that resembled any negativity towards the establishment. I found this place and never looked back. It's been a Godsend.

It just seems strange. When I first got there, they were absolutely not "liberal."  They were very conservative.  I left pretty quickly after Francis became pope. Maybe it got worse after I left.
I'm a member there and I have no idea why they would disable registrations. 

I have found that the quality ebbs and flows depending on what is being discussed and who is involved in the discussions.  There are several posters that are VERY good and I think they bring quite a bit to the table.  It's usually the same topics over and over again, and the same ground is covered quite frequently.  I will say this much... before my wife became Catholic, CAF was a VERY valuable tool that helped me (I am a lifelong Catholic) lean things that I should have already known so that I could discuss them with her.  The folks at CAF - both posters and staff - were a HUGE help to me. 

My most serious criticism is that they are waaay too quick on the trigger when it comes to infractions and banning people.  I understand they want to keep things civil, but it definately stifles debate. 

God bless.

(08-22-2015, 01:11 PM)rfournier103 Wrote: [ -> ]My most serious criticism is that they are waaay too quick on the trigger when it comes to infractions and banning people.  I understand they want to keep things civil, but it definately stifles debate.

This is a very serious problem- and the one I could not tolerate.  They are extremely arbitrary on what is off-limits.  They should consider that people will not be censored.  People will discuss those topics.  If they can't do it there, then they will go somewhere else.  If they go somewhere else, that place might encourage positions that are against the Church.  It seems they are more interested in putting on a good show- in currying favor with someone influential in the Church- than in saving souls.