FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Karl Keating suggests Pope Francis resign :O
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think many of us here have run into problems at CAF and their being hypersensitive and discouraging any criticism of a pope. That's why I was really shocked to see Karl Keating's recent column suggesting it was time for Pope Francis to resign!  Shocked

" It is not a sign of a lack of filial respect to note what many have noted, that Francis, when speaking extemporaneously, frequently speaks confusingly. The proof is in how often Fr. Federico Lombardi, director of the Holy See’s press office, finds himself before the cameras, trying to put an acceptable spin on the Pope’s words.

Of course, over the last several decades, under Lombardi and his predecessor, Joaquin Navarro-Valls, there were many occasions for the press office to explain a papal writing or utterance, but normally those were restatements, in popular language, of subtle and precise papal wording. Under Francis, the need has been somewhat different.

The press office has had to put theological substance into colloquial expressions such as “Who am I to judge?”—a comment that many people thought meant that one couldn’t pass judgment on the sinfulness of the homosexual lifestyle. It’s easy to take off-the-cuff remarks out of context, because they often don’t have much context. It’s harder to misconstrue written remarks that have gone through the customary and long Vatican editorial process.

I think that by this time Francis understands that, however successful he has been in terms of image, he has not had as much success in terms of teaching, nor has he had as much success in terms of reorganization of the Vatican machinery.

When he was elected, there were wide expectations that Francis would clean the Augean stables, but so far there hasn’t been much use of the broom. Cardinal George Pell of Australia was put in charge of fixing the Holy See’s finances, and he seems to be doing a good job of it, but it’s hard to point to other reorganizational successes. Last year, three days before Christmas, the Pope gave a stern lecture to the curial cardinals, but little seems to have come from it.

Two-and-a-half years into Francis’s papacy, not much seems to have changed. Perhaps Francis recognizes himself to be a successful symbol but not so much a successful communicator or a successful reorganizer."

http://www.catholic.com/blog/karl-keatin...pe-in-2016
Maybe Karl Keating should resign.
These American neo-Catholics are really starting to annoy me. Really, they are.

They have heretofore expressed no distress concerning the disorientation of the post-conciliar pontificates whatsoever, whether that be the destruction of the liturgy, or the horror of Assisi.

Then all of a sudden, this new pope mentions climate change and the neo-Catholics are throwing hissy fits. 

The Pope can single-handedly destroy the Roman Rite and the neos are unfazed. But if he disparages their cult of neo-liberal capitalism then now all of a sudden he is a heretic.

(09-19-2015, 12:29 AM)Miles Immaculatae Wrote: [ -> ]These American neo-Catholics are really starting to annoy me. Really, they are.

They have heretofore expressed no distress concerning the disorientation of the post-conciliar pontificates whatsoever, whether that be the destruction of the liturgy, or the horror of Assisi.

Then all of a sudden, this new pope mentions climate change and the neo-Catholics are throwing hissy fits. 

The Pope can single-handedly destroy the Roman Rite and the neos are unfazed. But if he disparages their cult of neo-liberal capitalism then now all of a sudden he is a heretic.

Putting that argument aside for a moment (not that I disagree), but I would worry about calls for him to resign. Two living popes, and we elect a third?

Oy vey.
(09-18-2015, 11:40 PM)Cetil Wrote: [ -> ]I think many of us here have run into problems at CAF and their being hypersensitive and discouraging any criticism of a pope. That's why I was really shocked to see Karl Keating's recent column suggesting it was time for Pope Francis to resign!  Shocked

My experience was that if you so much as hint at criticizing something or someone the Pope likes, you're in trouble there.  Karl Keating is no more qualified than I am to speak or write about such things.  He said "it is not a sign of a lack of filial respect to note what many have noted..."  Really?  Then why was I given an infraction on his forum for stating very politely that Jesuit seminarians who were preaching at mass should not be given the benefit of the doubt (which is what another poster suggested) as to their obedience to the Church, owing to the fact that certain Jesuits have a notable history of questionable theology and liturgical practice?  I said that very tactfully just now, and it was even more tactful back then.  Still, I was "disparaging a religious order."  Catholic Answers cannot be what it has always been, what it has always stood for, and all it knows how to be without correcting Pope Francis' lack of clarity.  It is good that they are finally realizing this, but it might be too late for them.

If people have a question, they should be able to ask it without fear of being shot down.  If people are concerned or frustrated, they can express those things and expect reasonable response- support and encouragement from others who share, understand, or are at least willing to learn with them and walk with them as they work through their concerns and frustrations.  That's how we learn.  That's how we strengthen each other during moments of trial.  That's how an online apostolate should work.
Bad jesuits are the ones disparaging the order  >sad
(09-19-2015, 02:19 AM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-19-2015, 12:29 AM)Miles Immaculatae Wrote: [ -> ]These American neo-Catholics are really starting to annoy me. Really, they are.

Putting that argument aside for a moment (not that I disagree), but I would worry about calls for him to resign. Two living popes, and we elect a third?

Oy vey.

I like the action! That would keep us on the front pages almost constantly.

C.
(09-19-2015, 12:29 AM)Miles Immaculatae Wrote: [ -> ]These American neo-Catholics are really starting to annoy me. 

I don't mean to disparage America... American trads are the best in the world.