FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: I Have A New Blog - Now What?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have recently started a new blog here.Now, I have already run out of ideas even before commencing. Any fishies willing to give me ideas, anyone?

N.
What about talking about some of the more common artworks in Catholic culture - such as the Pieta, and what they mean and why they're important?

What about a discussion about the specific type of architecture of churches built during the gothic revival in the prairies (my church is a representation of that) and their fate during the wreakovations (and subsequent restorations in some cases)?
(10-03-2015, 09:41 AM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]What about talking about some of the more common artworks in Catholic culture - such as the Pieta, and what they mean and why they're important?

What about a discussion about the specific type of architecture of churches built during the gothic revival in the prairies (my church is a representation of that) and their fate during the wreakovations (and subsequent restorations in some cases)?

I like the ideas. Thanks for posting.

Expect a few articles within days :)

N.
Quote:Some Philippine Church Renovations: San Lazaro Church in Manila

There are a lot of renovations that were carried out during the post-Vatican II period in the Philippines; in fact, most of all Philippine churches from the highest basilica to the lowest visita (or chapel of ease) that had their own sanctuaries renovated. All of them, I am very sad to say, are failed projects. They have failed to commensurate the quality and the beauty that their predecessors have yielded upon the entirety of the church that they have served their purpose. They are largely bland, uninspiring and rudely modernist, as modernist and rude as the era which have produced them.

READ MORE: https://catholicaesthetics.wordpress.com...in-manila/
One thing that no one seems to be doing is relating Gothic architecture and scholastic philosophy. There's a book by y Erwin Panofsky that deals with that. Basically the same form of mind that invented the Summa (a style original to Western medieval Christianity, the perfection of dialectic--the process praised by Platonists for the discovery of truth) also built the Gothic cathedrals. I want to read Panofsky, never had the opportunity yet, but you could summarize his points, give examples, etc., and even relate to the Liturgy, which is the soul (or the form of the soul) of medieval art and philosophy.
Now, that would be an original blog.
(10-03-2015, 01:02 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: [ -> ]One thing that no one seems to be doing is relating Gothic architecture and scholastic philosophy. There's a book by y Erwin Panofsky that deals with that. Basically the same form of mind that invented the Summa (a style original to Western medieval Christianity, the perfection of dialectic--the process praised by Platonists for the discovery of truth) also built the Gothic cathedrals. I want to read Panofsky, never had the opportunity yet, but you could summarize his points, give examples, etc., and even relate to the Liturgy, which is the soul (or the form of the soul) of medieval art and philosophy.

I have not read Panofsky yet, but basing on your comments, I think his thought is interesting, I wish I could read one of his works someday, although unfortunately, there are few good books in the Philippines.

N.
(10-03-2015, 01:05 PM)Neopelagianus Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-03-2015, 01:02 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: [ -> ]One thing that no one seems to be doing is relating Gothic architecture and scholastic philosophy. There's a book by y Erwin Panofsky that deals with that. Basically the same form of mind that invented the Summa (a style original to Western medieval Christianity, the perfection of dialectic--the process praised by Platonists for the discovery of truth) also built the Gothic cathedrals. I want to read Panofsky, never had the opportunity yet, but you could summarize his points, give examples, etc., and even relate to the Liturgy, which is the soul (or the form of the soul) of medieval art and philosophy.

I have not read Panofsky yet, but basing on your comments, I think his thought is interesting, I wish I could read one of his works someday, although unfortunately, there are few good books in the Philippines.

N.

Wait, I have just found a .pdf of one of his works. I'll wait for the download to finish. :)

N.

Now what? Now comes the suffering. You'll write and write and write if you want to have a good blog. Then you beg and pray that people come and comment.

When I started this forum, I posted almost constantly -- day and night. I treated it like a more than full-time job. I had thousands of posts with tons of original commentary. It was a TON of work. I just don't have the time to post as much as I used to, with work, volunteer work, and my grandson taking a lot of my time, and at this point in the game, I feel as if I am repeating myself endlessly. But I wish I did have more time -- and, especially, that I had time to add to the site itself! There's so much I want to add!

I so hope people visit your blog and comment, and that they post a LOT more here, too. Without that, blogs and discussion forums die.

All that said, I'd advise not limiting your focus too much. I.e., instead of having a "Catholic art blog," for ex., have a "Catholic blog" -- or, better, a "Paleoconservative Commentary blog" (or whatever fits your politics). The tighter your focus, the more you're hemmed in trying to find things to write about.

Another bit of advice: go to sites you normally wouldn't go to in order to find stuff to write about. Go to those leftist, "progressive," radical feminist blogs and websites. They're fodder! I so wish I could get 15 people to each do just that and post just one bit of commentary or just one article a day here to keep the place fresh!

My humble suggestion is to go back on some of your posts here and use those as blog topics.
(10-03-2015, 06:55 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]Now what? Now comes the suffering. You'll write and write and write if you want to have a good blog. Then you beg and pray that people come and comment.

Now that is something that I am not very capable of doing, but I'll try one post a day this October.

(10-03-2015, 06:55 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]When I started this forum, I posted almost constantly -- day and night. I treated it like a more than full-time job. I had thousands of posts with tons of original commentary. It was a TON of work. I just don't have the time to post as much as I used to, with work, volunteer work, and my grandson taking a lot of my time, and at this point in the game, I feel as if I am repeating myself endlessly. But I wish I did have more time -- and, especially, that I had time to add to the site itself! There's so much I want to add!

Thank you, I'll think I know what I'll do now. I'll continue my commentary on the "Misa ng Bayang Pilipino", an illegal Rite of Mass in the Philippines modeled after the modern Roman Rite with Philippine inculturation.

(10-03-2015, 06:55 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]I so hope people visit your blog and comment, and that they post a LOT more here, too. Without that, blogs and discussion forums die.

All that said, I'd advise not limiting your focus too much. I.e., instead of having a "Catholic art blog," for ex., have a "Catholic blog" -- or, better, a "Paleoconservative Commentary blog" (or whatever fits your politics). The tighter your focus, the more you're hemmed in trying to find things to write about.

Oh, the reason why I have created the blog "Catholic Aesthetics" is because that its main focus is Catholic Art, however, I did not made the blog exclusively an art blog, I have also made it a "discussion blog", as I have included in the tagline of the header.

(10-03-2015, 06:55 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]Another bit of advice: go to sites you normally wouldn't go to in order to find stuff to write about. Go to those leftist, "progressive," radical feminist blogs and websites. They're fodder! I so wish I could get 15 people to each do just that and post just one bit of commentary or just one article a day here to keep the place fresh!

Well, I have been visiting some liberal and leftist outlets lately. Yep, they are fodder indeed. Thank you Vox!

N.
Pages: 1 2