FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The unknown story of Dutch Schultz‏
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: Schultz_dutch_mug_zpskficryib.jpg]

"Dutch Schultz - Cold blooded killer/Catholic convert. This literally deathbed conversion caused quite the uproar.

Born Arthur Simon Flegenheimer, he has to be one of the least likely converts. His parents were both German Jews who attempted to raise their son in their faith but instead he became the notorious gangster known as Public Enemy #1 Dutch Schultz.

In 1935, while plotting criminal activity Schultz was gunned down in the rear of a bar. He was rushed to a hospital where he registered as a Jew. But early the next morning, he unexpectedly called for a Catholic priest. Father Cornelius McInerney was told by Schultz that he wanted to die a Catholic. Father McInerney baptized him, and gave him the last rites of the Catholic Church. That night, Schultz died and he was later buried in a Catholic cemetery.

There were reportedly several protests concerning the Church’s acceptance of Schultz. Newspapers opined against it and people were outraged. They’d obviously forgotten the story about the thief on the cross next to Jesus."

Death- From Wikipedia

Gangland legend has it that, still suspicious of Luciano after the Weinberg betrayal, Schultz soon went before an emergency meeting of the Mafia Commission and asked permission to kill his enemy, U.S. Attorney Thomas Dewey. While some Commission members, including Albert Anastasia and Jacob Shapiro, supported Schultz's proposal, the majority were against it on the basis that the full weight of the authorities would come down on them if they murdered Dewey, and they voted unanimously against the proposal.[1] Bonanno family boss Joseph Bonanno thought the idea was "insane." Schultz was furious at the vote, accusing the Commission of trying to steal his rackets and "feed him to the law." Schultz left in a rage, and the Commission decided to kill him to stop the Dewey hit. Calabrianimmigrant Albert Anastasia was ordered to arrange Schultz's elimination, and he sent Jewish mobster Louis Buchalter to handle it.[1]

At 10:15 p.m. on October 23, 1935, Dutch Schultz was shot at the Palace Chophouse at 12 East Park Street in Newark, New Jersey,[1] which he used as his new headquarters. Two bodyguards and Schultz's accountant were also killed.[1]

Schultz was in the men's room when Charles Workman and Emanuel "Mendy" Weiss, two hitmen working for Buchalter's Murder, Inc., entered the establishment. Accounts vary as to what happened next, specifically regarding the order in who killed Schultz and his men. Workman's later account of entering the bathroom to find Schultz either urinating or washing his hands suggests he managed to slip past Schult's men and that Schultz was either shot first or else Workman and Weiss opened fire at the same time.

Workman fired at Schultz twice. One bullet struck him slightly below his heart, and ricocheted through his abdomen before exiting the small of his back. Schultz collapsed onto the floor, and Workman joined Weiss in the back room of the restaurant. Both men then fired several times at Schultz's gang members: Otto Berman, Schultz's accountant; Abe Landau, Schultz's chief henchman; and Schultz's bodyguard, Bernard "Lulu" Rosencrantz. Berman collapsed immediately after being shot. (Landau's carotid artery was severed by a bullet passing through his neck, while Rosencrantz was hit repeatedly at point blank range with 00 lead buckshot). Nevertheless, both men rose to their feet and returned fire, driving the assassins out of the restaurant. Weiss jumped into the getaway car and ordereded the driver to abandon Workman. Landau chased Workman out of the bar and emptied his pistol at him, though he missed. Workman fled on foot, and Landau finally collapsed onto a nearby trash can.

Shortly after Workman fled, Schultz staggered out of the bathroom, clutching his side, and sat at his table. He called for anyone who could hear him to get an ambulance. Rosencrantz, who had collapsed while chasing Workman, rose to his feet and demanded the barman (who had hidden during the shootout) give him five nickels in exchange for his quarter. Rosencrantz called for an ambulance before he lost consciousness.

When the ambulance arrived, medics determined Landau and Rosencrantz were the most seriously wounded of the men and took to the hospital immediately. A second ambulance was called for to take Schultz and Berman. Berman was unconscious, but Schultz was drifting in and out of lucidity, as police attempted to comfort him and get information. Because the medics had pain relievers, Schultz was given brandy to relieve his suffering. When the second ambulance arrived, Schultz gave one of the medics $10,000 in cash to see that he received the best treatment. After surgery, when it looked as if Schultz would live, the medic was so worried that he would be indebted to the mobster for keeping the money that he shoved the money back in bed with Schultz.

Otto Berman, the oldest and least physically fit of the four men, was the first to die, at 2:20 that morning. At the hospital, Landau and Rosencrantz waited for surgery and refused to say anything to the police until Schultz arrived and gave them permission; even then, they provided the police with only minimal information. Abe Landau died of exsanguination eight hours after the shooting. Meanwhile, Rosencrantz was taken into surgery; the doctors, incredulous that Rosencrantz was still alive despite voluminous blood loss and ballistic trauma, were unsure of how to treat him. He survived for 29 hours after the shooting before succumbing to his injuries.

Before Schultz went to surgery, he received the last rites from a Catholic priest at his request. During his second trial, Schultz decided to convert to Catholicism and had been studying its teachings ever since, convinced that Jesus had spared him prison time. Doctors performed surgery but were unaware of the extent of damage done to his abdominal organs by the ricocheting bullet. They were also unaware that Workman had intentionally used rust-coated bullets in an attempt to give Schultz a fatal bloodstream infection (septicemia) should he survive the gunshot. Schultz lingered for 22 hours, speaking in various states of lucidity with his wife, mother, a priest, police, and hospital staff, before dying of peritonitis.

Although Schultz's empire was meant to be crippled, several of his associates survived the night. Martin "Marty" Krompier, whom Schultz left in charge of his Manhattan interests while he hid in New Jersey, survived an assassination attempt concurrent with the Palace Chophouse shooting, and no apparent attempt was made on the life of Irish-American mobster John M. Dunn, who later became the brother-in-law of mobster Edward J. McGrath and a powerful member of the Hells Kitchen Irish mob.

Charles Workman was eventually convicted of Schultz's murder and sent to Sing Sing to serve a 23-year sentence. Upon his arrival, Workman requested to see Warden Lewis Lawes. Workman wanted to be housed in the same cell block as several of his old friends who were incarcerated there; his request was not granted. Emmanuel Weiss was electrocuted for an unrelated killing in 1944 on the same evening as Louis "Lepke" Buchalter.
Interesting story. Glad he converted on his deathbed.