FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: I hate to say it all out loud like this but . . .
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
AMDG

a couple of things have really been bothering me about the Latin Mass. 

Honestly, the more I go and the more I read, the more I love going to the TLM but there are just a couple of things that r.e.a.l.l.y bother me.  I'm sure it's a matter of ignorance on my part so I'm going to toss one out and let ya'll set me straight if you will. 

Really, I love to contemplate the tabernacle.  I won't go in to all the different little things that I spend time contemplating but they're pretty important to me.  I like doing it and feel blessed by it.  That's at the regular mass. 

At the Latin Mass, though, the altar seems so cluttered and, while I can live with the veiling of the tabernacle and sort of rearrange my devotion or thoughts or whatever to incorporate that, what I do not like is the big altar card (?) just leaning up against and blocking the tabernacle.  I really just hate that.  It blocks the tabernacle and . . . seems so disrespectful. 

So, make me see how that could be okay.
I'm in the same boat, I like the altar card in principal but It does seem disrespectful in using the Tabernacle as a "prop". It also kind of makes the altar seem less like an altar of the Eternal Sacrifice and more like a table for holding stuff. I go to a Novus Ordo church as there isn't a traditional church for hours but I find that the arrangement of the altar and tabernacle to be very conducive to worship. The altar stands in the middle of a raised platform where the transepts meet and the tabernacle stands prominently behind the altar in the apse. Its a bit plain but I think it speaks of the sanctity of both the altar and tabernacle.
While I would LOVE to be able to attend a traditional mass, I think we should just take what we can get. It could be a lot worse, I'm sure Jesus really doesn't mind having the altar cards placed there so long as they are used reverently and not as mere decoration to make the altar "pretty." Either way, its not as big of a deal as it seems.
(10-04-2015, 11:18 PM)Lachryma Wrote: [ -> ]At the Latin Mass, though, the altar seems so cluttered and, while I can live with the veiling of the tabernacle and sort of rearrange my devotion or thoughts or whatever to incorporate that, what I do not like is the big altar card (?) just leaning up against and blocking the tabernacle.  I really just hate that.  It blocks the tabernacle and . . . seems so disrespectful. 

So, make me see how that could be okay.
Huh? I don't think I've ever seen that. At the TLMs I've attended the Celebrant puts the altar card just to the side of the tabernacle. However, it just occurred to me that if it's a free standing Altar without a reredos, he can't do that.
Wait, am I in Bizarro World now?  Huh? Where the NOM is reverent and the TLM disrespectful? They finally did it. They broke the universe with the Synod!

I don't know what to respond to L, this is how its done. And it depends radically on the way a particular Church is built.
Dominicus' issue could be explained by a study of the basic symbolism of the Mass.
(10-05-2015, 09:04 AM)Renatus Frater Wrote: [ -> ]Wait, am I in Bizarro World now?  Huh? Where the NOM is reverent and the TLM disrespectful? They finally did it. They broke the universe with the Synod!

I don't know what to respond to L, this is how its done. And it depends radically on the way a particular Church is built.
Dominicus' issue could be explained by a study of the basic symbolism of the Mass.

LOL  Yes to all what you said  Renatus.    We are on the brink of loosing it all when anyone thinks "it could be worse" and the NO can in anyway compare to the reverence and beauty of the Latin Mass.
Don't you worry, Renatus, I haven't gone native. I understand why the altar and tabernacle are set up the way they are in traditional churches but I just have a personal preference for this. I'm sorry, its the architect inside me that's speaking, ignore my comments.  LOL And as for Qoheleth, it could be MUCH worse. Two words... PUPPET MASS.
(10-05-2015, 11:30 AM)Dominicus Wrote: [ -> ]Don't you worry, Renatus, I haven't gone native. I understand why the altar and tabernacle are set up the way they are in traditional churches but I just have a personal preference for this. I'm sorry, its the architect inside me that's speaking, ignore my comments.  LOL And as for Qoheleth, it could be MUCH worse. Two words... PUPPET MASS.

I will see your puppet mass and add BANJO MASS.
Bongo mass. Grapevine, TX. Not kidding.
Sit in the balcony now you can see it, problem solved, geeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz    LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Look through the card like you look through the Tabernacle door and see Our Lord.

There is construction in the Sanctuary where I go to the TLM, and since there is no High Mass right now, for Low Mass they've had an altar further up in the Sanctuary, with the altar card leaning against the Tabernacle.

It doesn't bother me because I know that Our Lord is there. And the Priest chose to do it that way. He is a holy Priest.

Maybe after Mass, go up to the communion rail, even if the sacristan or altar boys leave the card. Pray that this doesn't bother you.
Pages: 1 2