FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Where is the line?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(02-08-2016, 09:56 AM)Oldavid Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-08-2016, 08:27 AM)austenbosten Wrote: [ -> ]And isn't that a sin to deliberately talk out of both sides of your mouth and mislead others?
I have lots of disagreements with Mother Vox' opinions but if I'm going to criticise them I'd try to say what and why.

Sorry I was chastising those in the Vatican who promote that idea that the Old Covenant is valid....not you, or anyone here.
PrairieMom, I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. All I meant to say is this:

I understand how you feel from what you posted. All of it, and I was set straight by a Fraternity Priest after a very confused period of coming into the Church. And it's like Fr. Isaac Mary Relyea said in one of his mission conferences: "I know a lot of these people (sedevacantists) and they're very smart...but you know who's smarter? THE DEVIL!"

Sedevacantism is not an option, it's an error. Anything that seems good or appealing in Sedevacantism is outweighed by the fact that it is from hell.
(02-10-2016, 01:07 PM)JohnTherese Wrote: [ -> ]PrairieMom, I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. All I meant to say is this:

I understand how you feel from what you posted. All of it, and I was set straight by a Fraternity Priest after a very confused period of coming into the Church. And it's like Fr. Isaac Mary Relyea said in one of his mission conferences: "I know a lot of these people (sedevacantists) and they're very smart...but you know who's smarter? THE DEVIL!"

Sedevacantism is not an option, it's an error. Anything that seems good or appealing in Sedevacantism is outweighed by the fact that it is from hell.

It is??  I'm not saying it isn't, but on what authority do you make that claim?  (Oh, and I'm not a sedevecantist, either.)
(10-27-2015, 12:53 AM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe this is just the Devil testing me. I have had dark periods before, albeit for different reasons, and I've always emerged from the other side stronger than ever.

Thanks.

PrairieMom, this last sentence of yours is so comforting and so inspirational for me.  Thank you.  You know that God is with you through it all.
FSSP is where my heart largely is.  SSPX has a decent attitude towards the Holy Father but is abysmal towards the diocesan ordinaries who's authority they utterly disregard as much as the Canons of Trent.  The Sede's go off the deep end into heresy denying the eternal visible authority of the Papacy, mendaciously conflating interregnum with a situation nigh on 60 years old waiting for

Ultimately, the Fraternity is a bit too... Tridentine... from the ideal, but is the closest to my own spirituality.  Specifically, Mother Church was not born in 1560 and didn't die in 1969.  She had many glorious traditions before and not everything after Vatican II was bad.  I would like to see the diocesan Ordinaries return to TLM, reform the Novus Ordo more towards 1965, see the failures of the pre-conciliar Church addressed (particularly nthe renewal of the Minor Orders).  The Seminary system was perfectly suited towards the Counter-Reformation environment but should probably start to resemble the Cathedral university system that preceded it.
Interesting question.

I've rarely thought about what specific event could be considered "a line" for me to defect.

Granted, I've felt temptation to just quit due to ecclesiastical politics and historical obfuscation, but I always fall into the comfort/promise(?) that the Church cannot fall into error and that God will take care of it.

The closest thing to "a line" would be if some historian would find some objective, blatant, and irrefutable piece of evidence that catches the Church contradicting Herself in a letter or audio/video recording.

Instead of Traditionalism, I would probably become some kind of lazy Deist who believes in Heaven, Purgatory, and Hell.

In a macabre fashion, I remember there used to be a comic that starts with the premise that all the males on Earth died, which implied that every member of the church hierarchy died (bishops, priests, and deacons) and logically meant that there would be no more Eucharist and no more Sacraments. I suppose THAT would be my line.  :(

The Archbishop of the Diocese I live in, is one of maybe a half dozen Bishops in the world who appears to condone homosexual behaviour. Most days I tend to pretend he doesn't exist, until he shows up on the 6 o'clock news.  I think the next question is "What are we going to do" ? I know the answer.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7