FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Cardinal Dolan discovers the "new minority", could it be the "faithful" ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yes, he really said this. No, it's not Eye of the Tiber.

"Inclusion of the New Minority
A very refreshing, consistent theme of the synod has been inclusion.  The Church, our spiritual family, welcomes everyone, especially those who may feel excluded.  Among those, I’ve heard the synod fathers and observers comment, are the single, those with same-sex attraction, those divorced, widowed, or recently arrived in a new country, those with disabilities, the aged, the housebound, racial and ethnic minorities.  We in the family of the Church love them, welcome them, and need them.
Can I suggest as well that there is now a new minority in the world and even in the Church?  I am thinking of those who, relying on God’s grace and mercy, strive for virtue and fidelity: Couples who — given the fact that, at least in North America, only half of our people even enter the sacrament of matrimony–  approach the Church for the sacrament;  Couples who, inspired by the Church’s teaching that marriage is forever, have persevered through trials; couples who welcome God’s gifts of many babies; a young man and woman who have chosen not to live together until marriage; a gay man or woman who wants to be chaste; a couple who has decided that the wife would sacrifice a promising professional career to stay at home and raise their children — these wonderful people today often feel themselves a minority, certainly in culture, but even, at times in the Church!  I believe there are many more of them than we think, but, given today’s pressure, they often feel excluded.
Where do they receive support and encouragement? From TV?  From magazines or newspapers?  From movies?  From Broadway?  From their peers?  Forget it!
They are looking to the Church, and to us, for support and encouragement, a warm sense of inclusion.  We cannot let them down!

http://cardinaldolan.org/index.php/inclu...-minority/

C.
Wow, this is actually pretty good from a cardinal who marched with gays and lesbians during the St. Patrick's Day parade in NYC.  He also purportedly signed the letter to Pope Francis about the synod being stacked to favor certain outcomes.  This is a pleasant and welcome surprise.
And, just for the sake of completeness, the date of this statement is Oct 12, 2015 and not Apr 1, 2015.

It's a good statement, I am literally finding it difficult to believe; will view this with guarded optimism and will be very interested to see what Cdl Dolan says or does next. Is he for real or just looking to score points?
Maybe the scales have fallen from his eyes.
(10-13-2015, 08:04 AM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: [ -> ]And, just for the sake of completeness, the date of this statement is Oct 12, 2015 and not Apr 1, 2015.

It's a good statement, I am literally finding it difficult to believe; will view this with guarded optimism and will be very interested to see what Cdl Dolan says or does next. Is he for real or just looking to score points?

Not sure with whom he would score points saying this... Bishop Fellay? Some obscure Polish? PrairieMom and her children?
At the end of the day he has something to lose in his own diocese and nothing really substantial to gain from this. I say, let credit be given to him, even if it's only a blog post--still is more than Rosica et al. would do.

(10-13-2015, 11:34 AM)Renatus Frater Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-13-2015, 08:04 AM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: [ -> ]And, just for the sake of completeness, the date of this statement is Oct 12, 2015 and not Apr 1, 2015.

Not sure with whom he would score points saying this... Bishop Fellay? Some obscure Polish? PrairieMom and her children?
At the end of the day he has something to lose in his own diocese and nothing really substantial to gain from this. I say, let credit be given to him, even if it's only a blog post--still is more than Rosica et al. would do.

That would be exactly the type of people to score points with RF. Maybe he's trying to get the people at CMTV off his back. CMTV has Cdl Dolan on their hit list along with the SSPX and Fr Robert Barron and is constantly attacking Cdl Dolan. My point this is a good yet atypical statement from Cdl Dolan. I've seen and heard far too many conflicting things from him this doesn't make sense to me.  I'll stick with my original impression and you are, obviously, welcome to yours.

Peace.

CMTV and Cdl Dolan

I guess I'm the only one not surprised by his name being on the 13 Cardinals letter or by this post. Granted, I only know what I've read online and whatnot, but I think he believes being jovial and friendly is the best way to win people to the right side, and sometimes it leads to controversial decisions of his where it can be argued he took it too far (the presidential invite, the parade, etc.).  But he doesn't seem to do it for human respect as its own end or because he is not committed to the right side.  That's just the impression I've gotten anyway.  :shrug:
(10-13-2015, 11:50 AM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-13-2015, 11:34 AM)Renatus Frater Wrote: [ -> ]

That would be exactly the type of people to score points with RF. Maybe he's trying to get the people at CMTV off his back. CMTV has Cdl Dolan on their hit list along with the SSPX and Fr Robert Barron and is constantly attacking Cdl Dolan. My point this is a good yet atypical statement from Cdl Dolan. I've seen and heard far too many conflicting things from him this doesn't make sense to me.  I'll stick with my original impression and you are, obviously, welcome to yours.

Peace.

CMTV and Cdl Dolan

Well, I wasn't really disagreeing with you as much as I was simply not understanding why this would benefit him. I don't think giving him some credit for this should be very controversial. Sorry if you mistook my tone.

About CMTV, maybe my overall impression is because I don't follow internal USA stuff very closely, but is it really a force to be reckoned with? I mean, by the very things they oppose with such fierceness they sound like the voice of a very particular group and not the faithful minority in general. And from the hearsay on the internet (you know the “they used to have great programs”, “they changed”, etc.) it sounds like they are living off of past glories. I've seen this sort of things with people I used to admire.

No worries RF!

CMTV is funny. When they stick to teaching the faith they are outstanding.

Recently, CMTV, seems to have turned into an attack dog with a few specific targets, Cdl Dolan being one. They are well known enough if in circles to be relevant however in the grand scheme of things no. Then again, neither are we. I guess I'm saying think I agree with your assessment.

With respect to the overall issue pf Cdl Dolan, this statement is drastically different from his other statements. for me to believe its sincerity. if Cdl Dolan is having s change of heart I'd be happy to jump on the band wagon, but it will take more than one blog statement, while welcome, for me to begin to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(10-13-2015, 11:22 AM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe the scales have fallen from his eyes.

Unfortunately, I think it's likely because things have gotten so bad at the synod, that even moderate - or slightly liberal - cardinals like Dolan can't even stomach it.  I think this synod is turning into a fiasco, and Pope Francis is allowing it in the name of mercy and openness.
Pages: 1 2