FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: So I finally pray a rosary...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
... after not praying one for months and months because I suppose I had a mad-on at God and I didn't want to talk to Him. I got to the end, and started praying for other people.

Then it occurred to me. How does one pray for other people?

I mean, is there a script? Do I say a Hail Mary or Our Father for each person? Is there a recommended formula? Or do I just free-wheel it and do whatever feels right?

And why the heck aren't we ever taught this stuff?  Huh?
I'm not the greatest at praying for people either. Sometimes I just offer a Rosary for someone. Maybe a decade of a Rosary that I'm praying. Sometimes it's just a Hail Mary or Our Father. Sometimes it's a Hail Mary, Our Father, and Glory Be. Sometimes it's just a general, I pray for such and such that x.

Not sure if other people have better methods, I'd be interested in knowing as well.
Good stuff, PM! I also struggled with the rosary for some years, but I finally picked the habit up. I just force myself to pray, even if I feel like dying, or even if its 4am and I haven't yet prayed. And if something happens and I don't pray I pray two rosaries the following day. Once you get the habit you get the pleasure of doing something according to your nature, so you start looking forward to praying.
I'm still very inconsistent with mental prayer. I hope I can pick it and some parts of the Office up until Christmas—then I can start being a good Catholic.  Grin

What I do, when its something important, I just mention it before I begin to pray, together with other intentions, then I let God or Our Lady to deal with the accounting (btw, asking the Virgin to distribute the merits of your prayer is a tiny part of the consecration, if I'm not mistaken).
If its something I don't think very important I dedicate a decade or part of a decade to it.
In the Russian tradition, it is recommended to pray very generally for people, not to ask for the needs we perceive that they have. This is to avoid falling into pride; God knows what they need anyway. There are few different prayers that are common:

1) You can adapt the Jesus Prayer to say: "O Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on your servant(s)/handmaiden(s) N." Say "thy" instead of "your" if you prefer. If needs suggest it, repeat this 50, 100, etc. times, using your rosary beads to count them.

2) As part of Morning and Evening Prayers, the Old Believers are supposed to pray for their clergy, family, friends and neighbors; their prayer book says "Save, O Lord, and have mercy on Thy servant(s) N. [bow]" Since prayer is always made standing in Russian tradition, you cross yourself and bow to the ground far enough for the back of your hand to touch the ground in front of your right foot at the end of the prayer. To pray more diligently for someone, the following are added to that simple prayer:

Deliver him (her, them) from every tribulation, wrath and need [bow],
From every sickness of soul and body, [bow]
Forgive him (her, them) every transgression, voluntary and involuntary, [bow]
And do whatever is profitable for our souls. [bow]

In the context of the Rosary or similar devotions, I would keep it simple and just say before you begin something like "Lord, I offer this Rosary (Novena, etc.) for the spiritual and physical needs of your servant/handmaiden N., through the intercession of your Immaculate Mother and all the saints."
(10-28-2015, 03:38 PM)aquinas138 Wrote: [ -> ]In the Russian tradition, it is recommended to pray very generally for people, not to ask for the needs we perceive that they have. This is to avoid falling into pride; God knows what they need anyway. There are few different prayers that are common:

1) You can adapt the Jesus Prayer to say: "O Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on your servant(s)/handmaiden(s) N." Say "thy" instead of "your" if you prefer. If needs suggest it, repeat this 50, 100, etc. times, using your rosary beads to count them.

2) As part of Morning and Evening Prayers, the Old Believers are supposed to pray for their clergy, family, friends and neighbors; their prayer book says "Save, O Lord, and have mercy on Thy servant(s) N. [bow]" Since prayer is always made standing in Russian tradition, you cross yourself and bow to the ground far enough for the back of your hand to touch the ground in front of your right foot at the end of the prayer. To pray more diligently for someone, the following are added to that simple prayer:

In the context of the Rosary or similar devotions, I would keep it simple and just say before you begin something like "Lord, I offer this Rosary (Novena, etc.) for the spiritual and physical needs of your servant/handmaiden N., through the intercession of your Immaculate Mother and all the saints."

Since I've been using the Old Believer Prayerbook I've gotten much better at praying for others.  I've actually fallen in love with the Old Rite Russian stuff. I'm going to buy the full Horologion soon because I want all the Troparia and Kontakia for each day.

I also use my prayerrope and modify the Jesus Prayer like you mention. It's very versatile.

(10-28-2015, 03:38 PM)aquinas138 Wrote: [ -> ]In the Russian tradition, it is recommended to pray very generally for people, not to ask for the needs we perceive that they have. This is to avoid falling into pride; God knows what they need anyway. There are few different prayers that are common:

Tell me more about the Jesus Prayer. I think it's FB that mentions it often. I am not familiar with with it.
I try to mention a few special people by name  and then I add 'For all those intentions for which I am bound to pray, have promised to pray, or which Thou wouldst have me  pray'. I do this in my preparatory prayers for the Rosary, Divine Office, Mass or Adoration. Sometimes, just walking down the street, I'll say a Pater, Ave, and Gloria for individuals, and then for my 'general' intentions, as above, Oh, and I often mention 'all my friends on Fish Eaters'! Smile

PrairieMom, this is a very good explanation of the Jesus Prayer.  Well worth watching the whole video.

Please pray for me
Pray