FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Anyone fasting this advent?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm not eastern, but I do like giving up stuff for Advent. Starting today I'm giving up soda, and sugar, and I might confine myself to one full meal per day. I won't fast on Sundays of course, and since I don't have much money I'll finish whatever leftover stuff I have from last sunday on the monday.

I'm sure there's someone here more hardcore fasting than me.

I've considered setting aside three days doing an Eastern fast following the advice of Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI for latin rite Catholics to imitate them for a couple of days.
I might try to fast a little. Not full blown fasting though. Maybe as it gets closer to christmas, christmas eve is a traditional day of fasting.
The three days of full fast and abstinence also exists in the Latin rite, they're the Ember days. They'll be on the 16, 18 and 19th of December.

I might also give up something, though I'm also not a hardcore faster yet, as some other trad folks.
(11-16-2015, 01:34 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: [ -> ]The three days of full fast and abstinence also exists in the Latin rite, they're the Ember days. They'll be on the 16, 18 and 19th of December.

I might also give up something, though I'm also not a hardcore faster yet, as some other trad folks.

I've heard about those, but I lost the calendar I had for them. You've officially marked the days where I'll hardcore fast. :D
I forgot about ember days, I'll fast then too.
(11-16-2015, 01:34 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: [ -> ]I might also give up something, though I'm also not a hardcore faster yet, as some other trad folks.

I don't reccomend comparing yourself to other trads in such a way.  Fasting is a grace that comes from God, just as prayer is a grace. We are all called to respond to His love in a profound, but unique, way. Some are called to undertake great penances. Others are called to other things that will also lead to their sanctification and that of those God has entrusted to them.
The actual Eastern style fast is pretty intense:

Started November 15 and runs through December 24.

Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday no meat, dairy products, eggs or fish are allowed.
After Dec 6th ( St Nicholas of Myra) fish is allowed on weekends...but...from Dec 20th through Nativity it is not.

It's a bit much for me, as I'm admitedly weak in the fasting department, so perhaps I'll try to just stick to going meatless Monday, Wednesday and Friday, or stay off the Internet or something. We mustn't bite off more than we can chew.

Since I'm following the Julian calendar I have some time to think about what I'll do,as November 15th  Old Style is November 28th on the Gregorian date.

Best luck to all who do fast a bit.
I'll never forget the look on  the face of my Orthodox priest, a ROCOR priest who followed the old calendar, when he asked me if I would have an issue following the old calendar.  My response was, "You just subtract 13 days."
(11-16-2015, 08:37 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: [ -> ]I'll never forget the look on  the face of my Orthodox priest, a ROCOR priest who followed the old calendar, when he asked me if I would have an issue following the old calendar.  My response was, "You just subtract 13 days."

The main reason I follow the Julian calendar is because I use the Old Orthodox Prayerbook and this http://www.holytrinityorthodox.com/calen...php?tzo=-4 for the daily Troparia and readings and both follow the old style. It took some getting used to but I'm used to it now. I figured if I were still praying the Benedictine Office using the 1962 calendar or earlier I'd still not be on the same page as the local new rite Catholic parish anyway with its Ordinary Time, sparse calendar of saints and three year Lectionary. What's 13 days in the scheme of things?
(11-17-2015, 06:32 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: [ -> ]The main reason I follow the Julian calendar is because I use the Old Orthodox Prayerbook and this http://www.holytrinityorthodox.com/calen...php?tzo=-4 for the daily Troparia and readings and both follow the old style. It took some getting used to but I'm used to it now. I figured if I were still praying the Benedictine Office using the 1962 calendar or earlier I'd still not be on the same page as the local new rite Catholic parish anyway with its Ordinary Time, sparse calendar of saints and three year Lectionary. What's 13 days in the scheme of things?

Are you attending an Eastern parish that uses the Julian calendar?  If not, doesn't it get confusing to fast after celebrating Christmas?
Pages: 1 2