FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: 17-Year-Old Fakes Pregnancy To Prove Teen Moms Have It Tough
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I thought this was really interesting. I also thought it was a propos with the Year of Mercy starting and all... I know I have unfairly judged people who were "irresponsible" in the past.

From http://www.littlethings.com/gaby-rodrigu...n=shocking

Quote:17-Year-Old Fakes Pregnancy To Prove Teen Moms Have It Tough

Gaby Rodriguez was a 17-year-old, straight-A high school student at Toppenish High School in Washington when she announced to the world that she was pregnant. The big secret: She wasn’t actually pregnant at all. Yet for six months she would pretend to be, wearing a fake belly that grew in size, until she announced again in front of the entire school that she had faked it all.

This wasn’t a scam or a scheme, like we’ve seen with fake pregnancies before, this was an experiment for one pretty incredible reason. Gaby Rodriguez wanted to know how her life would change if she were a teen mother. Her experienced proved one thing: Teen moms have to deal with bullying, shame, and stigmas. The people who once knew and loved her were quick to turn on her and start rumors.

Gaby told her mother, boyfriend, and school principal but no one else knew. “A lot of rumors were just that I was irresponsible. No college… It was bound to happen. I knew she would get pregnant. Doesn’t she know she just ruined her life,” she said. “Many things were said about me. Many things traveled all the way back to me.”

In her plans to become a social worker one day, Gaby hopes her experience will allow her to help young mothers in ways that might get overlooked.

(11-30-2015, 09:16 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]In her plans to become a social worker one day . . .

LOL

Well, that was a mega-crappy thing to do to her boyfriend's parents. Man! Those parents (or was it just the Mom?) had to spend 6 months thinking their son got the girl pregnant, that they were about to become grandparents, etc., etc. I think that is disgusting, a very cruel thing to do.

But all this raises the question:  How should society deal with the issue of teen pregnancy? We don't want to encourage it, to make like it's OK to have sex and get pregnant outside of marriage -- BUT the fact that the shame of it all falls only on the female sucks, we don't want people to be shamed into having abortions, and the automatic assumptions ("she must be a stupid ho") suck as well.

The shame of sex outside of marriage falls inordinately onto females for obvious reasons, though. Only women get pregnant and get growing bellies that can't be hidden away, while the male involved can get away with it in terms of social shame -- and might even get a few "way to gos" for having "gotten some" and being fertile.

The automatic assumptions business is a sad thing. She might have had sex "only" once, or only with one person -- a boy she loves -- ever in her whole life. She might have been raped, or a girl with abuse in her past who really doesn't "know" how to refuse sexual advances. But lots of people will automatically think the worst. Then there'll be the accusations of stupidity. "Doesn't she know how to prevent that?" -- as if birth control pills are infallible, as if the people taking them are infallible, as if things such as taking an antibiotic might not render them ineffective, as if girls aren't put under a lot of pressure for sex by boyfriends (and others), etc.

And the abortion issue:  if girls are inordinately shamed, they'd be more likely to abort to put an end to their pregnancy and move along as if it never happened.

So, how to treat pregnant teenagers with basic human decency and respect -- but without encouraging their becoming pregnant? How to encourage a girl to not kill her baby -- but without acting as if unmarried teenage pregnancy is perfectly OK?

Is there any way to "equalize" the shame factor such that it falls more proportionately on the female and the male involved? Would that be a good thing? (It'd be the "fair" thing, but that's not saying much.) If such a thing were a good thing, how should it be gone about?

I'm always suspicious of the claims of one being shamed in the most shameless society ever.

This news speaks only vaguely about her being shamed and alienated, both feelings every single liberal college student is overwhelmed by every Tuesday. There's really no substance here.
And of course, the "community leaders" will use her "findings" to do whatever they already planned on doing.
(11-30-2015, 11:13 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: [ -> ]I'm always suspicious of the claims of one being shamed in the most shameless society ever.

This news speaks only vaguely about her being shamed and alienated, both feelings every single liberal college student is overwhelmed by every Tuesday. There's really no substance here.
And of course, the "community leaders" will use her "findings" to do whatever they already planned on doing.

Totally. Yes.

It reminds me of other bogus claims that are put out there as "common knowledge" but are based on nothing. For ex., I've heard people who went to Catholic high schools in the 1980s (the EIGHTIES, mind you) go on about "Catholic guilt" and "mean nuns". Buh-ruther!

Or what about how so many atheists come off as if they live in some village right out of "Children of the Corn" or something, a place where Christians are always up into everyone's business, are all hypocrites who cheat on their spouses, are functionally illiterate and "hate science," are wont to beat up homosexuals on Saturday nights, and think slavery is OK or something. They're completely insane.

And then there are the put-ons of being "brave" and someone who "pushes the envelope" and all that when the actions performed by the hero/ine in question are things that no one blinks an eye at, have been accepted for 50 years now, have been the stuff of high school and college classes for the past half a century, and so on. Some people reallllly think they're "speaking truth to power" and sticking it to the man in some way by being perfect little Democrats and gushing forth in a way any sitcom character would -- and has been for the past 40 years. Or yet another girl "gets raped" and talks about it: how "brave" she is! Or some artist does something to desecrate a holy image of Christ (yawn): how utterly "transgressive" and "irreverent" and "brave" he must be! (funny how "irreverent" has become a good thing, isn't it?) The leftists really don't seem to know that they won the culture war -- about the time I was born! And I'm old -- was born the year Kennedy got shot! It's so silly.

(11-30-2015, 09:19 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-30-2015, 09:16 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]In her plans to become a social worker one day . . .

LOL

It sorta goes like this when it comes to professional degrees.

Social workers (almost any program): Do-gooders who tend to be fools.
Law (Tier One): Egomaniacs.
MBA (T-15): Fools that are egomaniacs.
Medical school (physicians, surgeons): At least they have actual skills.

This of course does not apply to everyone who hold such degrees, but it's been my experience that the unbalanced fulfill these otherwise rude stereotypes.
(11-30-2015, 11:13 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: [ -> ]I'm always suspicious of the claims of one being shamed in the most shameless society ever.

Good observation. The American Left is eating itself and it doesn't even know it. Sometimes I quietly say to myself, "Let it burn. But not until I attend graduate school. Then let it burn."
(12-01-2015, 02:11 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: [ -> ]Or what about how so many atheists come off as if they live in some village right out of "Children of the Corn" or something, a place where Christians are always up into everyone's business, are all hypocrites who cheat on their spouses, are functionally illiterate and "hate science," are wont to beat up homosexuals on Saturday nights, and think slavery is OK or something. They're completely insane.

haha.

you just described my atheist cousin.