FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Advent wreath..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
advent wreats....wheere do you put them, what do you do with them, when do you light them, how long do you leave them lit

we have always had an advent wreath even before we had children It always goes up on the first sunday of advent

but mostly it just sits there.  we actually still have the same candles that came with it when we received it as a wedding present 11 years ago--shows how often it gets lit

our home altar is in our bedroom since many days i don't leave the bedroom, it also can be set up so that i can have mass said there, which hppens every so often.  sometimes i need to be on home oxygen which means no candles, so if the o2 concentrator is set up, no candles not even for mass

this advent i am home and only on oxygen as needed, so we can light candles.  but what do you do when you light them?  is there a specific prayer you are supposed to say? 

we arent so great at having a shared family prayer routine and are lucky if we have a daily rosary, not even necessarily at the same time.  and a family rosary is great, but it does not vary according to the liturgical seasons
When I was a child the Advent Wreath was the centerpiece of our dining room table. The candles were lit for dinner.
Smile Smile Smile
(12-02-2015, 03:18 AM)Poche Wrote: [ -> ]When I was a child the Advent Wreath was the centerpiece of our dining room table. The candles were lit for dinner.
Smile Smile Smile

That's what we do.
Here in Austria the tradition is that the candles are lit on on Sundays, first Sunday one candle, second Sunday two, third Sunday three, then fourth Sunday all. Then after Christmas, everyday till they burn out, you choice. Would be nice to still have them around for Epiphany, should normally be possible.
We have it near the dinner table area.  We do what is said at this very site: http://www.fisheaters.com/customsadvent2.html

Before dinner on the first Sunday of Advent, I blessed the wreath for the family, we light the first candle, and do the prayers and readings from that link.  Repeat through Christmas.
(12-02-2015, 01:53 PM)xandratax Wrote: [ -> ]Here in Austria the tradition is that the candles are lit on on Sundays, first Sunday one candle, second Sunday two, third Sunday three, then fourth Sunday all. Then after Christmas, everyday till they burn out, you choice. Would be nice to still have them around for Epiphany, should normally be possible.

On Christmas I change the purple and pink candles for white ones and they are all lit for the season. Since I live alone, I do this for the Liturgy of the Hours instead of at dinner.
Smile Smile Smile