FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: "our holy father pope Francis"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i remember when i was in the process of converting, JPII was still pope and everyone called him "the holy father" it was one of those things i had trouble with.  it took me awhile to feel OK with calling a pope "the holy father" because it did sound like worship

i suppose it is because the office of the Roman Pontiff is holy and not necessarily the person holding the office but i have to say whenever I hear someone say "our holy father pope francis" i just instantnly stop reading whatever it is or listening , and just tune them out

because i am not sure how it is possible to refer to him as "the holy father"''

i could wrap my mind around it when it was JPII.  i didnt know about assissi or getting smoochy with the quaaran in my mind he was a living saint

is it hypocritical to believe that Francis is legitimately the successor of st peter (until the church declares otherwise) and not call him "the holy father"  something tells me he would not want to be called the h oly father and instead would refer to himself as "the frankster" or something. every time i read about his antics i wonder if he is even Catholic....he seems more rastifarian. i realltwanted to giv him the benefit of the doubt but clearly he is the jar jar binks of popes
Whether we approve what the Pope does in all regards or not, Holy Father is still an appropriate title for him, because his office is indeed holy. Whether the man on the Papal throne is an unsavoury sort of character or a Pope St. Pius X, he is still the Holy Father.

It's the same reason we call judges "your honor" even though not all are honorable, etc. 

That being said, I don't think you're alone in your troubles.  I read an article recently where an unnamed priest in the Vatican vented some frustrations and referred to the Pope as "this guy." The author even notes how that kind of thing is unique to this papacy.

http://new.spectator.co.uk/2015/11/pope-...civil-war/
If you don't like saying the Holy Father, perhaps you should substitute His Holiness the Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Patriarch of the West, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Sovereign of the State of the Vatican City, Servant of the Servants of God.
As much as I love the title "The Frankster", I suspect it would be disrespectful. No matter how we feel, all people are entitled to our respect. Even the Pope.
(12-02-2015, 11:57 AM)PrairieMom Wrote: [ -> ]As much as I love the title "The Frankster", I suspect it would be disrespectful. No matter how we feel, all people are entitled to our respect. Even the Pope.

LOL yes, even the pope.

Just call him pope, or Francis, or F.
(12-02-2015, 04:32 AM)Chestertonian Wrote: [ -> ]is it hypocritical to believe that Francis is legitimately the successor of st peter (until the church declares otherwise) and not call him "the holy father"  something tells me he would not want to be called the h oly father and instead would refer to himself as "the frankster" or something. every time i read about his antics i wonder if he is even Catholic....he seems more rastifarian. i realltwanted to giv him the benefit of the doubt but clearly he is the jar jar binks of popes

At the risk of REALLY derailing this thread, take that statment and mix it with this video....

Shocked  Grin
(12-02-2015, 11:40 AM)Cyriacus Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't like saying the Holy Father, perhaps you should substitute His Holiness the Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Patriarch of the West, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Sovereign of the State of the Vatican City, Servant of the Servants of God.

Benedict XVI dropped "Patriarch of the West" from the list. "The new 2006 edition of the Annuario Pontificio, the official Vatican yearbook, carries 8 other traditional titles for the Pope, but does not include the "Patriarch of the West" designation that appeared in previous editions. The first ceremonial copy of the Annuario was presented to Pope Benedict on February 18; the volume will not go on sale to the public until mid-March.

The Pope is now identified in the Annuario as: "Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman province, Sovereign of the State of the Vatican City, Servant of the Servants of God."

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/feat...cnum=42711

C.
(12-02-2015, 06:24 PM)Cetil Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-02-2015, 11:40 AM)Cyriacus Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't like saying the Holy Father, perhaps you should substitute His Holiness the Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Patriarch of the West, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Sovereign of the State of the Vatican City, Servant of the Servants of God.

Benedict XVI dropped "Patriarch of the West" from the list. "The new 2006 edition of the Annuario Pontificio, the official Vatican yearbook, carries 8 other traditional titles for the Pope, but does not include the "Patriarch of the West" designation that appeared in previous editions. The first ceremonial copy of the Annuario was presented to Pope Benedict on February 18; the volume will not go on sale to the public until mid-March.

The Pope is now identified in the Annuario as: "Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman province, Sovereign of the State of the Vatican City, Servant of the Servants of God."

http://www.catholic culture.org/news/features/index.cfm?recnum=42711

C.

Makes sense, given that there are other patriarchs in the West, like in Venice and Lisbon.
Venerable Maria de Agreda wrote that the Blessed Virgin told her that whoever the Pope is we should hold him in much veneration as the earthly representative of Jesus Christ. She (the Blessed Virgin) told Maria that whenever she heard his name mentioned she should bow her head.
In the case of Pope Francis the situation is that many people who should know better, are taking what he says out of context and making them to mean something other than what he actually said.