FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: The Day the Host Dropped
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I love this. I really noticed the difference when I finally made it to a TLM recently after not being to one in years.

We often sit right up front at our NO Mass. My children like it there (they also behave better when Father can see them). A host is dropped about every week or so, always from communion in the hand. The priest is at least quick to pick it up and consume it, but the rest of the ritual isn't done.

It makes me so sad that it could even happen.
Good read, thanks for sharing.  Quick question...

In the article it says: "Thus, anyone who receives Communion in the hand, or who receives Communion from a Eucharistic lay-minister, or who is a Eucharistic lay-minister himself or herself — in the objective order — is committing a sacrilege. "

Is this true?  I go to a NO mass which sadly has EMHC's.  Would you say I'm obligated to go out of my way to only receive from the Priest (I prefer receiving from the priest but I don't get 'out of line' if he happens to be distributing elseware).    Is this a sin? 

God Bless

Michael
(12-02-2015, 12:17 PM)Michael Levanduski Wrote: [ -> ]In the article it says: "Thus, anyone who receives Communion in the hand, or who receives Communion from a Eucharistic lay-minister, or who is a Eucharistic lay-minister himself or herself — in the objective order — is committing a sacrilege. "

is this true?

Not according to the Church.  In fact, at most it would be subjectively so.  A ciborium is just a piece of metal until the Church designates it for the purpose of holding the Blessed Sacrament.  The same with human hands, etc.  It's why St. Thomas doesn't say the Host touching hands not formally consecrated is an absolute and objective sin, but rather he notes exceptions the Church grants where it is not. In other words, it is up to the Church to decide. It's also why the Church authorized it in the past. 

Like any other materials, the Church certainly can designate lay people to distribute Holy Communion.  The Church has authorized us to touch the Host with our tongues, our esophagus, our stomach, etc., none of which are formally and ritually consecrated like a priest's hands.  It can therefore also authorize us to touch the Host with our hands.

All that being said, going back to my first point, while it can't be considered objectively sacrilegious, one can certainly argue that there is a greater risk of subjective sacrilege and that receiving on the tongue has a greater didactic effect, etc.
(12-02-2015, 12:17 PM)Michael Levanduski Wrote: [ -> ]Good read, thanks for sharing.  Quick question...

In the article it says: "Thus, anyone who receives Communion in the hand, or who receives Communion from a Eucharistic lay-minister, or who is a Eucharistic lay-minister himself or herself — in the objective order — is committing a sacrilege. "

Is this true?  I go to a NO mass which sadly has EMHC's.  Would you say I'm obligated to go out of my way to only receive from the Priest (I prefer receiving from the priest but I don't get 'out of line' if he happens to be distributing elseware).    Is this a sin? 

God Bless

Michael

I go to a NO Mass also and I get out of line to receive from the priest.  I find most people understand and do not get annoyed.

From the CCC the definition of sacrilege is: Profanation of or irreverence toward persons, places and things which are sacred,i.e. dedicated to God; sacrilege against the sacraments especially the Eucharist, is a particularly grave offence against the first commandment.(2120)

I am fortunate to have a parish near by that has  TLM every Sunday.  I go here on Sunday and to my parish that offers the NO on Saturday evening.

I don't want to tell you what to do but I would go out of my way to receive from the priest.

God Bless