FishEaters Traditional Catholic Forums

Full Version: Patronage and Business Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For any small business owners, have you ever thought about-or have-placed your small business under patronage of a specific Catholic Saint, the Virgin Mary, Sacred Heart of Jesus, etc.? If so how did you decide which Saint to put your small business under the protection of?

Does that make sense? Sort of like how some Catholic hospitals (at least in the past) had "patron" Saints?

I have thought about doing this, especially going into "a land where I have never gone before."
Ive never done this but I think its a great idea.
This may give you an idea of consecrating a business to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The Asia District of the SSPX was promoting it for companies, towns, cities, even whole countries way back when this was written:

http://www.sspxasia.com/Newsletters/1998...f-Mary.htm

Catholic business owners have long done this. There are patron Saints for most everything, and entrepreneurs take the Saint that matches up with the focus of their businesses -- e.g., if you're a beekeeper, St. Ambrose is the patron; if you're a baker, you might choose St. Honore, etc. In the Middle Ages, guilds had their patrons. You can read about that here:

I haven't done it myself, but it sounds like a good idea. 

Is there some type of 'official' prayer or blessing or anything that should be done?  I might want to consecrate my freelance writing business to St. Paul and/or Our Lady. 

God Bless

Michael

I don't know of any official prayer for the entrepreneur to pray, but a priest would bless your business if you ask him (well, if he's a decent priest he will).
This is a regional thing, but in the rural Southwest and in Northern Mexico, it's customary to dedicate your business to the Our Lady of Guadalupe and to have a blessed picture of St Jude and St George in your shop.
(12-14-2015, 02:23 PM)dcmaccabees Wrote: [ -> ]This is a regional thing, but in the rural Southwest and in Northern Mexico, it's customary to dedicate your business to the Our Lady of Guadalupe and to have a blessed picture of St Jude and St George in your shop.

Funny that you mention that because St. Jude and St. George are actually who I was thinking of picking, possibly also St. Scholastica or St. Elizabeth of Hungary as well.

I was also thinking of Our Lady of Walsingham and St. Edward the Confessor. I would love to have an icon of St. Edward the Confessor. Smile
Talked to a friend about this and he gave me the prayer used during the consecration.

Original Spanish Wrote:Acuérdate, oh piadosísima Virgen María de Guadalupe, que en tus apariciones celestes en el monte del Tepeyac, diste prometen mostrar tu compasión y piedad hacia todos los que, amando y te confiando, busquen tu ayuda y te invocan en sus necesidades y aflicciones.

Tú has prometen obedecer antes a nuestras súplicas, para secar nuestras lágrimas y darnos consuelo y alivio. Nunca se ha oído decir que cualquier persona que huyó a tu protección, implorando tu ayuda, o procuraban tu intercesión, ya sea para el bien común, o ansiedades personales, haya sido desamparado.

Inspirado con esta confianza, volamos a ti, oh María, siempre Virgen Madre del verdadero Dios! Aunque el duelo bajo el peso de nuestros pecados, llegamos a postrarnos en tu presencia agosto, seguro de que has de dignan a cumplir tus promesas misericordiosas. Estamos llenos de esperanza de que, de pie bajo tu sombra y protección, nada lo hará problemas o afligirnos, ni necesitamos tememos enfermedad o la desgracia, o cualquier otro dolor.

Tú has decidido permanecer con nosotros a través de tu admirable imagen, tú que eres nuestra Madre, nuestra salud y nuestra vida. Poniéndonos bajo tu mirada maternal y recurrir a ti en todas nuestras necesidades que necesitamos hacer nada más. Santa Madre de Dios, no desprecies nuestras peticiones, pero en tu misericordia escucha y nos responde en nuestro alegato en favor de la fecundidad en nuestra tienda.

Ave María x5

English translation Wrote:Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary of Guadalupe, that in thy celestial apparitions on the mount of Tepeyac, thou didst promise to show thy compassion and pity towards all who, loving and trusting thee, seek thy help and call upon thee in their necessities and afflictions.

Thou didst promise to hearken to our supplications, to dry our tears and to give us consolation and relief. Never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession, either for the common welfare, or in personal anxieties, was left unaided.

Inspired with this confidence, we fly unto thee, O Mary, ever Virgin Mother of the True God! Though grieving under the weight of our sins, we come to prostrate ourselves in thy august presence, certain that thou wilt deign to fulfill thy merciful promises. We are full of hope that, standing beneath thy shadow and protection, nothing will trouble or afflict us, nor need we fear illness, or misfortune, or any other sorrow.

Thou hast decided to remain with us through thy admirable image, thou who art our Mother, our health and our life. Placing ourselves beneath thy maternal gaze and having recourse to thee in all our necessities we need do nothing more. O Holy Mother of God, despise not our petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer us in our plea for fruitfulness in our shop.

Ave x5